• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many can you carry?

Lincoln7

A question was recently brought up about the VA CHP stating "Permit to carry a concealed handgun". Is that meant to interpret that only one handgun may be concealed or may be carried? Does the fact that it is nowhere stated under Virginia law(that I'm aware of) nullify the question? I understand the potential offtopicness of this question but the fact is I normally OC a full size service pistol and CC a subcompact at the same time. It would seem pretty normal to me that citizens desiring to carry a firearm for protection might also desire to carry a back up firearm. Two is one, one is none mentality.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A question was recently brought up about the VA CHP stating "Permit to carry a concealed handgun". Is that meant to interpret that only one handgun may be concealed or may be carried? Does the fact that it is nowhere stated under Virginia law(that I'm aware of) nullify the question? I understand the potential offtopicness of this question but the fact is I normally OC a full size service pistol and CC a subcompact at the same time. It would seem pretty normal to me that citizens desiring to carry a firearm for protection might also desire to carry a back up firearm. Two is one, one is none mentality.

I've never seen a limit enforced but it does say "Handgun permit" singular.
Of course....the limit for OC'ers depends on how strong they are:banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is this based on there being no written law against it?

Indeed so. Nowhere in the statutes are we limited to carrying just one.

And the Code of Virginia does supply the answer:

§ 8.1A-106. Use of singular and plural;

In the Uniform Commercial Code (General Provisions), unless the statutory context otherwise requires:

(1) words in the singular number include the plural, and those in the plural include the singular; and

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/virginia/va-code/virginia_code_8-1a-106

A CHP authorizes the permit holder to carry a handgun. If you choose to carry a second handgun concealed, that 2nd would still be a gun, so too would a 3rd handgun be a gun. :p

It's elementary, Watson - it's legal to carry more than one.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMA2zkodZCk&feature=player_embedded

"I'm not sure how to make this a clickable link as I'm a old guy without computer skills"

Me too!:(

zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif