• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry missouri legality???

turbofreek

I live in the kansas city north land area. I follow the castle law, but cant seem to find any law against open carry. So what is the oc rules of carrying in the kansas city area? I live in liberty mo. Id like to open carry but id prefer no ccw if i dont have to. If i do then fine ill go take my paperwork in. Also what is the oc size or style of weapon allowable. I go to the warzone of midtown quite often. So i need a carry option. Id love to open carry my ak or.....

SixGunCowboy

Missouri Open Carry Legality

There is no law against "open carry" but then again there's nothing supportive of it either, which makes it legal to "open carry" in the Kansas City, Mo. area. There are areas however where "open carry" is not permitted. Open carry is not permitted anywhere North of the river, or anywhere near Downtown Kansas City, Mo. (where the buildings are) Other than that, the only other areas I know of are down in Belton, Mo.
As for the size of weapon, while Open carry is not restrictive of any firearms that I know of, the "open carry" thing usually is with handguns only as rifles tend to create too big a signature and IMO, they are not "defensive" weapons. And they tend to attract too much attention from the Police.

SixGunCowboy

Missouri Open Carry

To Open Carry a firearm, you need only be older than 18 years of age, a legal citizen of the U.S., not having been convicted, accused or charged with anything remotely related to weapons charges, having no history of abusiveness or domestic crimes of any sort. Or have any history of mental illness/disorders which would make owning or possession of a firearm a crime. You also do not need to register your firearm with the state, and require no permit for "open carry." The only thing you do require a permit for is if you're applying for legal CCW permit, in which case you will need to register with the state. Your legal DL is essentially your permit for your weapon during "Open Carry."

OC for ME

See Forum Rule 14. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Research and read the applicable state statutes and municipal codes. Missouri does not have statewide preemption regarding OC but we are working the halls of Jeff City to rectify that error.

Some study material (tip of the iceberg):

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c000-099/0210000750.htm specifically RSMo 21.750.3

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c571.htm

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000101.HTM

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000121.HTM

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c563.htm

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5630000031.HTM

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5630000041.HTM

It is critical that you know the local laws regarding OC for those areas that you routinely travel. Missouri has a patchwork of municipalities that ban OC outright, or that permit OC if you have a CCW endorsement. It behooves you to apply for and be issued a CCW endorsement.

As to carrying a "long gun", that would be a exceedingly imprudent choice of OC firearms at this juncture in Missouri. There is never a need, in my opinion, to OC a long gun when out and about doing normal everyday things. LE will most likely be very agitated with any citizen who exercises their 2A right in that manner. It is what it is.

Side note, it is imperative that we OCers display the highest standards of decorum while out and about in public. Until statewide OC preemption is achieved any political subdivision can ban OC. It has occurred before based solely on the actions of citizens who exercised their 2A right and were buttheads while exercising their 2A right. Maplewood Missouri is high profile example. Another incident earlier this year was a factor in the failure of OC friendly legislation last session in Jeff City.

Basically it boils down to only one thing when we exercise our right, if you would not "behave in a certain way" while unarmed why act differently when you are armed. Perception is everything while we are visibly armed.

There is a wealth of information contained within the untold number of threads here on OCDO and just about any question OC related can be answered here. Ask questions, ask for citations to law, Forum Rule 5, and do your own research.

Welcome to OCDO and good luck.

SixGunCowboy

"Side note, it is imperative that we OCers display the highest standards of decorum while out and about in public. Until statewide OC preemption is achieved any political subdivision can ban OC. It has occurred before based solely on the actions of citizens who exercised their 2A right and were buttheads while exercising their 2A right. Maplewood Missouri is high profile example. Another incident earlier this year was a factor in the failure of OC friendly legislation last session in Jeff City." - OC for ME

I agree with OC for ME. When we are carrying our firearms in public, we must hold ourselves to the highest of respectful and professional conduct. To do otherwise would garner unwanted attention from both the media, the Police and more unwantedly, from the Government. I look at "open carry" as not so much a right as it is a "privilege" under the laws to do so. That is why it is so important that we do not give the Government any more reason to take that privilege from us.

kcgunfan

Please provide a cite for the illegality of OC in both downtown KC and north of the river. I carry north of the river every day.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

OC for ME

"Side note, it is imperative that we OCers display the highest standards of decorum while out and about in public. Until statewide OC preemption is achieved any political subdivision can ban OC. It has occurred before based solely on the actions of citizens who exercised their 2A right and were buttheads while exercising their 2A right. Maplewood Missouri is high profile example. Another incident earlier this year was a factor in the failure of OC friendly legislation last session in Jeff City." - OC for ME

I agree with OC for ME. When we are carrying our firearms in public, we must hold ourselves to the highest of respectful and professional conduct. To do otherwise would garner unwanted attention from both the media, the Police and more unwantedly, from the Government. I look at "open carry" as not so much a right as it is a "privilege" under the laws to do so. That is why it is so important that we do not give the Government any more reason to take that privilege from us.
OC is not a privilege, it is a right. But, the net affect is that OC is treated as a privilege due to RSMo 21.750.3.

Hopefully a OCer, lawfully OCing will get his 2A right infringed upon and have the financial mean to have the MOSC strike down 21.750.3. Though, statewide preemption or a MOSC ruling, I am not sure which will occur first.

turbofreek

North of the river is very vague as that covers a half dozen or so surrounding communities, liberty, gladstine, platte city, parkville, riverside, smithville, etc....

I can get my ccw i just dont want to give the satisfaction for tax collection on my 2a rights. It also gives you a smaller window of opprotunity of defense use without reprocusions. Id like to oc in liberty dt area with my pistol, but was being brazen about the rifle bit. However dont see a problem with it myself. Its no more dangerous that a pistol just more visible. But then again i would the visibility to be very clear and to desensitize the paranoia of guns in general. That seems to be the big driver for control is uneducated ignorance of a few with motivation to **** the rest of us. The kind of people id like to draw and quarter myself. If you know what i mean?