Thread: Carrying In Parks/While Urban Fishing

Carrying In Parks/While Urban Fishing

I haven't been to a local park in quite some time, but I do remember that the last time I'd been, there was signage posted stating that firearms are prohibited. I believe this was at a park in NE Mesa.
    With that in mind, I plan to put my urban fishing license to good use and do some fishing at the Water Ranch Lake in Gilbert. I noticed on their website (http://www.riparianinstitute.org/rules.cfm), "4. Carrying a firearm in this park is limited to persons who possess a concealed weapons permit issued pursuant to Section 13-3112." Is this accurate? If so, since I do indeed have my government-issued permission slip, can I OC? The language in that sentence does not state that I must CC, only that I must have a permission slip in order to carry in "their" park.

Thanks in advance.

In 2010, we (AzCDL) got the preemption laws strengthed, removing the ability of cities and towns to ban carry in public parks. Sorry, I don't have the ARS quote handy. The bill was HB 2543. If you go to the Arizona Legislature's website and look back at the session that passed the law, you can find the relevant statute.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    In 2010, we (AzCDL) got the preemption laws strengthed, removing the ability of cities and towns to ban carry in public parks. Sorry, I don't have the ARS quote handy. The bill was HB 2543. If you go to the Arizona Legislature's website and look back at the session that passed the law, you can find the relevant statute.

Fred
    Aha, you are right. Thanks for the lead, I found exactly what you were referring to. When/if I get the time, I'll write a letter to the Town of Gilbert and let them know that the information they have posted on their website is outdated and inaccurate.
    Oh, and just for the heck of it, I took a walk around the lake today and there was no signage concerning firearms/weapons, whatsoever. That's good, at least.