• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying In Parks/While Urban Fishing

Super Saiyan

I haven't been to a local park in quite some time, but I do remember that the last time I'd been, there was signage posted stating that firearms are prohibited. I believe this was at a park in NE Mesa.
With that in mind, I plan to put my urban fishing license to good use and do some fishing at the Water Ranch Lake in Gilbert. I noticed on their website (http://www.riparianinstitute.org/rules.cfm), "4. Carrying a firearm in this park is limited to persons who possess a concealed weapons permit issued pursuant to Section 13-3112." Is this accurate? If so, since I do indeed have my government-issued permission slip, can I OC? The language in that sentence does not state that I must CC, only that I must have a permission slip in order to carry in "their" park.

Thanks in advance.

azcdlfred

In 2010, we (AzCDL) got the preemption laws strengthed, removing the ability of cities and towns to ban carry in public parks. Sorry, I don't have the ARS quote handy. The bill was HB 2543. If you go to the Arizona Legislature's website and look back at the session that passed the law, you can find the relevant statute.

Fred

Super Saiyan

In 2010, we (AzCDL) got the preemption laws strengthed, removing the ability of cities and towns to ban carry in public parks. Sorry, I don't have the ARS quote handy. The bill was HB 2543. If you go to the Arizona Legislature's website and look back at the session that passed the law, you can find the relevant statute.

Fred

Aha, you are right. Thanks for the lead, I found exactly what you were referring to. When/if I get the time, I'll write a letter to the Town of Gilbert and let them know that the information they have posted on their website is outdated and inaccurate.
Oh, and just for the heck of it, I took a walk around the lake today and there was no signage concerning firearms/weapons, whatsoever. That's good, at least.