• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

age to do face to face sell and carry

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks Grape .. I do have to confess a non-desire to own or wear suspenders, however. Although I've lived here for almost 12 years now and have picked up a large chunk of the language in these here parts, there are times when the first thing I think of when I hear a word is what that word means in the kind of English that is my first language. "Suspenders" means something entirely different in the language I grew up with and among the male population are generally only worn by Judges, Members of Parliament and the very knowledgeable Mr Eddie Izzard.

That would be what we commonly call men's garters.

My grandpappy wore "braces" - an out of style word meaning suspenders.

Marco

WRONG. The EXACT same "straw purchase" statute applies to ammunition equally as it does to firearms:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

A "straw purchase" violates the above statute when the purchaser answers "yes" to the question on the form 4473, "Are you the actual purchaser of this firearm" thus making a false written statement. Normally, that question is not asked during a purchase of ammunition.

Dad goes into dealer to purchase ammunition intended to be used in a handgun on behalf of his 19 year old son. Dealer asks, "Handgun or rifle?" Dad answers, "Handgun." Dealer asks, "Over 21?". Dad says, "Yep, here's my ID, 43 years old." No false oral or written statement has been made and no statute violated because the delear never asked, "Are you the actual purchaser of this ammunition?" and the dad never claimed that he was.

Stupid outdated law......yet again!!!!!!!!

Never had anyone ask a question like that in person.. Now I have seen statements online but don't remember where...
Never had a dealer ask what firearm I intended to use once I appeared to be over 21yr old.

The lines are also blurred since many rifle and handguns are chambered for the same calibers.....
Hence a person 18><21 probably would not face questions for 5.56/.223 ammo purchases but would face question for .357mag/9mm/40/45/44 etc.. yet handgun and rifles are readily available for all of the above. And let us not forget the lowly .22LR.....

As a parent it would most likely be a gift or a sale after the fact....
As a friend it would be a sale after the fact...
I buy ammo and a friend buys it from me after I determine I have more than I need etc....
The crime in the straw sale is the false statement made under penalty of perjury etc.....

Last edited: