Thread: carry while hunting

carry while hunting

hey gang . i have a question. my son is trying to do his VA hunting since he moved to VA. he was going over the laws and of course was a bit confused by some of the legalez.

one of the question he had is it said you are not allowed to carry while bow hunting. does this mean rifle or self defense carry?

also he said something about that you could not have a loaded fire arm in the car. i told him i thought this was wrong since it is VA

any input will be appreciated
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Does he have a CHP?
    Unfortunately it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    hey gang . i have a question. my son is trying to do his VA hunting since he moved to VA. he was going over the laws and of course was a bit confused by some of the legalez.

one of the question he had is it said you are not allowed to carry while bow hunting. does this mean rifle or self defense carry?

also he said something about that you could not have a loaded fire arm in the car. i told him i thought this was wrong since it is VA

any input will be appreciated
    the loaded rifle is a county by county ordinance. best bet is to pick up the rule book put out by VADGIF every year and read it because every county has differing ordinances. For example in three different counties that share borders: in chesterfield i can only hunt with a shotgun or muzzleloader during general firearms deer season and that shotgun can be loaded with slugs, in goochland i can hunt with a shotgun only loaded with buckshot(no slugs), a muzzleloader, or a centerfire rifle if i shoot from a stand at least 10ft off the ground, in powhatan there are no hunting specific ordinances so i can use anything i want including handguns. thats just a small example of the patchwork you have to deal with. get the book or download the pdf version from the vadgif website.