• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry while hunting

papa bear

hey gang . i have a question. my son is trying to do his VA hunting since he moved to VA. he was going over the laws and of course was a bit confused by some of the legalez.

one of the question he had is it said you are not allowed to carry while bow hunting. does this mean rifle or self defense carry?

also he said something about that you could not have a loaded fire arm in the car. i told him i thought this was wrong since it is VA

any input will be appreciated

67GT390FB

hey gang . i have a question. my son is trying to do his VA hunting since he moved to VA. he was going over the laws and of course was a bit confused by some of the legalez.

one of the question he had is it said you are not allowed to carry while bow hunting. does this mean rifle or self defense carry?

also he said something about that you could not have a loaded fire arm in the car. i told him i thought this was wrong since it is VA

any input will be appreciated

the loaded rifle is a county by county ordinance. best bet is to pick up the rule book put out by VADGIF every year and read it because every county has differing ordinances. For example in three different counties that share borders: in chesterfield i can only hunt with a shotgun or muzzleloader during general firearms deer season and that shotgun can be loaded with slugs, in goochland i can hunt with a shotgun only loaded with buckshot(no slugs), a muzzleloader, or a centerfire rifle if i shoot from a stand at least 10ft off the ground, in powhatan there are no hunting specific ordinances so i can use anything i want including handguns. thats just a small example of the patchwork you have to deal with. get the book or download the pdf version from the vadgif website.