• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do YOU conseal carry?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So my CPL should be here any day, which bring my question to light.
How do you CC? I currently have a serpa and an assortmant of "tall" coats so that would be one way to CC. Also I've thought about picking up a shoulder holster. I've also seen insight the pant holsters but with my body type that might not work.

So what do you guys use, what have you tried, what works and doesn't work. Sitting is also a big one for me I don't like my weapon digging into my side. So feel free to share your experiances.

PJ

If I told you I would have to kill you. :banana:

Any good shop will let you try on a holster and move around the store with it. Just unload your firearm before going in. Quantico Tactical, The Marksman, probably Champion. If you ask the guys at the gun counter in Sportsmans Warehouse they'll help you out. I wouldn't buy from a place that doesn't allow you to try the holster first.
I always do a little test before buying. I walk around, lean side to side, crouch, sit, etc. Try to mimic any movements you will do from day to day.

Yes, you may try out holsters at Champion. Unload in the parking lot and bring it in cased or holstered and ask for assistance. No problem.

amlevin

There are many ways to conceal and carry. Every person will develop a manner that makes most sense for their manner of dress, body size/shape, and activity.

Personally, I rarely wear long coats. When I'm cold I wear a leather bomber jacket which "almost" conceals my Sig in a Serpa. When I want more total concealment with this jacket I go for a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster.

The rest of the time when I want to conceal, especially during warmer weather, I just use a "tropical print" shirt, not necessarily as garish as a Hawaiian shirt but they work too.

BTW, Shoulder holsters are great for long drives as the pistol isn't competing for space alongside the center console with your butt, the seat belt anchor, and center console.

Bottom line is that each individual will develop their own method based on what's comfortable and practical for THEM.

jt59

You can conceal carry as you would open carry just put a vest, jacket, long loose shirt, sports jersey that covers it, remember if you do conceal carry and it becomes exposed it is just open carry and not illegal as some (uneducated) will suggest.

A recent robbery should bring to light on the issue anyone can be vulnerable regardless if they open or conceal carry and carrying a firearms is actually the last tool in your arsenal of making good choices and situational awareness. There is no magic force field surround us.

[video=youtube;X6gHaIYNDFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X6gHaIYNDFw[/video]

Man....that is cold.

hjmoosejaw

I just bought this coat. So far I like it a lot. I haven't had a chance to really try it much, but it's heavy enough for warmth and seems pretty rugged. I think they make them in khaki also. The pocket is plenty big enough for my Sig P226, with the laser/light mounted on it. Since both sides have the same pockets, I can use them for other things, like my flashlight or whatever.

http://www.armyuniverse.com/black-concealed-tactical-military-season-carry-jacket-p-5626.html

amzbrady

If I told you I would have to kill you. :banana:

Yes, you may try out holsters at Champion. Unload in the parking lot and bring it in cased or holstered and ask for assistance. No problem.

Just a suggestion but you should allow them to take them on range so they can try (practice) drawing from them, comfort is not the only thing to think about when trying out a holster. I think the most important thing is how fast you can draw from a holster, and to check for any hang ups, I would want to feel the full weight of the firearm fully loaded, as the balance is different. Just a second option if you let them open carry into the store and onto the range.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Just a suggestion but you should allow them to take them on range so they can try (practice) drawing from them, comfort is not the only thing to think about when trying out a holster. I think the most important thing is how fast you can draw from a holster, and to check for any hang ups, I would want to feel the full weight of the firearm fully loaded, as the balance is different. Just a second option if you let them open carry into the store and onto the range.

Thanks for the suggestion. But to add no confusion. Drawing from the holster will not be allowed in the store. Only members have that privilege on the range.

This is an added skill and takes some practice. In addition to enter the range for any reason you must pay and sign a waiver as well as wait for an open lane.

Holsters may be returned in new condition if they do not meet your needs.

MKEgal

Munkey Butt said:
How do you CC? ...
So what do you guys use, what have you tried, what works and doesn't work.
Sitting is also a big one for me I don't like my weapon digging into my side.
So feel free to share your experiances.
Hi! Welcome to Open Carry dot org.
You need to have a look at the forum rules, to which you agreed when signing up. #8 says that anything not related to OC (but still gun-rights related) should go in the general discussion forum, otherwise it belongs in the lounge.
Also try the search function - your question has been addressed many times across the site.

Grim_Night said:
I would love to be able to try on various different holsters to see which ones fit and are comfortable
Another suggestion (beyond going to stores) is to host a holster try-on meet-n-greet.
No loaded guns allowed.
People bring their different styles of holsters, for different pistols, mark them as to ownership & type of pistol, then others get to try them out (with unloaded guns or plastic training tools).

Vitaeus

Serpa holster for folks that open-carry on a daily basis are fine in my opinion. I would not recommend it for anyone that is likely to be crawling in the dirt or otherwise not walking around in their every day life, all the failures/ND's either are improper indexing of their trigger finger or foreign material in the retention release, your mileage may vary.

EMNofSeattle

Hi! Welcome to Open Carry dot org.
You need to have a look at the forum rules, to which you agreed when signing up. #8 says that anything not related to OC (but still gun-rights related) should go in the general discussion forum, otherwise it belongs in the lounge.
Also try the search function - your question has been addressed many times across the site.

Another suggestion (beyond going to stores) is to host a holster try-on meet-n-greet.
No loaded guns allowed.
People bring their different styles of holsters, for different pistols, mark them as to ownership & type of pistol, then others get to try them out (with unloaded guns or plastic training tools).

my local gunshop sells used holsters and has a training dummy that closely resembles my revolver, so i use the bright orange dummy, I'd rather not some guy unaware of what's going on walks in and sees me drawing a live firearm......

EMNofSeattle

Serpa holster for folks that open-carry on a daily basis are fine in my opinion. I would not recommend it for anyone that is likely to be crawling in the dirt or otherwise not walking around in their every day life, all the failures/ND's either are improper indexing of their trigger finger or foreign material in the retention release, your mileage may vary.

I personally don't like the serpa holster, but most of my drills are with thumb break holsters, and learning a serpa means deviating and drilling a different skill then I've already become good at, so i figure i don't want to sit there looking like a dork trying to serpa my thumb break while a burglar is tossing a log through the sliding glass door.

Munkey Butt

So today my CPL showed up in the mail, so i decided to wear my longer jacket today. Worked well but I did not feel confident in my ability to quick draw with my coat on. This is with my Serpa.

Last edited: