• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overland Park to Vote on Open Carry

SixGunCowboy

You're joking, right? This new text still makes carrying a 'loaded' firearm illegal. According to my understanding of the "new" language.. That whole section needs to be struck and re-written entirely. I would tell them to go back and re-write it again, and then submit it for a vote.

SixGunCowboy

"Carrying on one’s person any unconcealed "loaded" handgun as that term is defined in K.S.A. 2011 Supp. 75-7c02 and amendments thereto.." - 11.60.010, sec. 5

"Carrying in any vehicle a loaded firearm which is under one's immediate control, while on property open to the public." - 11.60.010, sec. 6

This is VERY DISAPPOINTING. This is not what I call "open carry."

Mr.40

Carrying on one’s person any unconcealed loaded handgun as that term is
defined in K.S.A. 2011 Supp. 75-7c02 and amendments thereto, pistol,
revolver or other firearm unconcealed while on property open to the public,
except when on one's person except when on the person's land or in the
personone's abode or fixed place of business, unless the handgun is carried in
a holster with its safety on (if so equipped) and such weapon remains within
the immediate control of the person at all times; or
6. Transporting any pistol, revolver or other firearm unless it is unloaded and
encased in a container which completely encloses itCarrying in any vehicle a
loaded firearm which is under one's immediate control, while on property
open to the public, except when on one's land or in one's abode or fixed place
of business; or
7. Carrying in any air, land or water vehicle an unloaded firearm that is not
encased in a container which completely encloses the firearm; or
8. Drawing a pistol, revolver, knife or any other deadly weapon upon a person;

You have to read the rest of the new language!!!!! It states "unless the handgun is carried in
a holster with its safety on (if so equipped) and such weapon remains within
the immediate control of the person at all times"...so that tells me loaded OC would be legal...carrying a loaded weapon in your vehicle is already illegal per state law unless you have a CCW.

SixGunCowboy

Hope so. I am hoping that if Overland Park does agree to Open carry, then hopefully Leawood and Prairie Village will be next.

BigTzzy

Mr 40 said:
carrying a loaded weapon in your vehicle is already illegal per state law unless you have a CCW.

Please cite the Kansas State Statute that makes carrying a loaded handgun in your car illegal if you don't have a CCL.(Kansas doesn't issue CCWs)

Thank you.

sha-ul

Please cite the Kansas State Statute that makes carrying a loaded handgun in your car illegal if you don't have a CCL.(Kansas doesn't issue CCWs)

Thank you.

It is not specifically illegal, however it is one area not covered by the state preemption law.

Mr.40

I stand corrected as far as the illegal in kansas to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle with a CCW... but i am going to ask if the state(AG) doesn't give(approve) them who does????

sha-ul

I stand corrected as far as the illegal in kansas to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle with a CCW... but i am going to ask if the state(AG) doesn't give(approve) them who does????

If you have a ccw, another set of laws kick in providing an exemption for transporting a loaded sidearm, otherwise the transportation of a loaded sidearm, MAY be regulated by a municipality.

SixGunCowboy

Illegal Carry of a Loaded Firearm in a car in Kansas?

If I read the new language correctly..It is NOT illegal so long as the weapon is holstered, the safety is on (if applicable) and under the control of the user at all times while inside the car or on the user's person. If I read this new language correctly. The weapon must stay holstered with the safety on at all times in public or in the vehicle, according to the amended revision.

marine0300

For unlicensed open carry in a city, car, or airport we don’t want cities or counties specially authorizing anything. If it’s not specifically excluded then its legal it reverts to state law. That is the way we want it.

That is the catch-22 a law abiding citizen has known each municipalities ordinances and that is impossible. Until we get that changed at the state level we have to live with it.

My recommendation get a CC license and vehicles become a non-issue.

The cities that have banned in the past will be a lot more specific once they re-recognize our right to bear arms.

SixGunCowboy

"Open Carry" in Overland Park, KS

In order to "open carry" in Kansas, a conceal carry license will be required. According to the new ordinance, anyone not carrying a conceal license cannot "carry" a firearm within city limits.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
In order to "open carry" in Kansas, a conceal carry license will be required. According to the new ordinance, anyone not carrying a conceal license cannot "carry" a firearm within city limits.

Your post in confusing - are you referring to Overland Park, a locality? If so, that proposed ordiance does not conform to the published AG opinion stating that localities can regulate but not ban loaded open carry by anyone, permit or not. Further, the locality has no power to even regulate unloaded open carry.