Thread: Visiting for a few days from Virginia

Visiting for a few days from Virginia

Hey folks, I'll be coming down from Virginia to Avon for a few days to enjoy some vacation days (finally!). I have a Virginia CHP which according to my research is recognized along with all other state permits by NC. I'll be carrying, although probably concealed for the most part compared to my usual OC up here in Virginia. I was hoping some of you could help me clarify a few things:

1. I always carry a voice recorder for possible traffic stops or when I open carry. Will there be any issues with carrying the recorder in NC?

2. It looks like any kind of carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol is out - is that correct? ( http://www.ncdoj.com/About-DOJ/Law-E...ciprocity.aspx )

Are there any other things I should know before I head down to visit our southern neighbor? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
    Hey folks, I'll be coming down from Virginia to Avon for a few days to enjoy some vacation days (finally!). I have a Virginia CHP which according to my research is recognized along with all other state permits by NC. I'll be carrying, although probably concealed for the most part compared to my usual OC up here in Virginia. I was hoping some of you could help me clarify a few things:

1. I always carry a voice recorder for possible traffic stops or when I open carry. Will there be any issues with carrying the recorder in NC?

2. It looks like any kind of carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol is out - is that correct? ( http://www.ncdoj.com/About-DOJ/Law-E...ciprocity.aspx )

Are there any other things I should know before I head down to visit our southern neighbor? Thanks!
    Welcome, neighbor!
    1. No LEGAL problems with recording in NC.
    2. Correct. Including OC.
    3. Remember the GFSZ crap.
    4. No loaded guns on State (Wildlife Commission) boat ramps.
    5. Interstate rest areas are OK.

Pretty much everyelse is as you are used to. No carry where posted; signage is not standardized, but has the force of law.

Enjoy.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Strelok, I'm a Virginia resident who frequently OCs in NC. I'm in NC 3-6 times per year.

Take a close look at the laws. Things we can do in VA, whether concealed or open, that you cannot do in NC include carrying any place that charges admissions fees; carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises; and carrying at parades/demonstrations/etc.

Most of my carry has been in the western part of the state, and I've had no issues.