• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle transport

Jason Nagy

I am a new member to OC, so far I have found it very informative. I havent exercised my right to openly carry yet, im doing my homework first, but I am looking forward to it. My question is, I ride a motorcycle, am I required to transport it in the same manner as you would in a car, or can I openly carry it because it is plainly visible. Im pretty sure I know the answer, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
This has been debated a lot. The problem is, the law says if you're carrying a pistol in a motor vehicle, you need to have a CPL, otherwise, it needs to be unloaded, and as unreachable as you can make it. (I'm paraphrasing.) I know, with motorcycle, you're ON a vehicle, not in it. To be honest, I don't know if this has been tried in court.

What you need to determine, do you have the money to be a test case? Short of somehow getting an AG opinion, that is what you'd risk by OCing on motorcycle without a CPL. This is part of the reason I have a CPL.

scot623

There have been multiple recent stops of guys OCing on a motorcycle. With the increased visibility and lack of knowledge on the issue by officers, you really should only open carry if you have a CPL. Transporting unloaded, in a locked case is wise.

backenj

Since the case would be readily accessible to the rider...I'd recommend locked, but hey it's your lawyer bill.

Need a lawyer for what? 750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions...
(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

In a gun case that is in a saddle bag is not readily accessible while ridding.

scot623

Need a lawyer for what? 750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions...
(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

In a gun case that is in a saddle bag is not readily accessible while ridding.

Interesting...I did not see anywhere in that cite about "readily accessible WHILE RIDING/DRIVING". Like I said...it's your lawyer bill. Either way, I was just suggesting an extra layer of protection from an over zealous LEO/prosecutor. That's why I said "a locked case is wise"..I didn't say mandated by law.

Last edited:

backenj

Interesting...I did not see anywhere in that cite about "readily accessible WHILE RIDING/DRIVING". Like I said...it's your lawyer bill. Either way, I was just suggesting an extra layer of protection from an over zealous LEO/prosecutor. That's why I said "a locked case is wise"..I didn't say mandated by law.

Not saying you said it was a law, just saying it doesn't have to be locked. And if you are transporting it, then the vehicle must be moving. Can't transport with out the vehicle in motion.

scot623

Not saying you said it was a law, just saying it doesn't have to be locked. And if you are transporting it, then the vehicle must be moving. Can't transport with out the vehicle in motion.

I don't want to beat this thread to death, but since we're playing nice… So you're telling me no one ever stops there vehicle at a red light or a railroad crossing or a traffic jam? An occupant on the back of your bike(or the rider for that matter) can access a saddle bag?

Last edited:

scot623

Staying to the strict wording of the law, without a CPL it appears it is illegal to transport a firearm in a vehicle without trunk if you have a passenger(and the car cannot have fold down rear seats that grant access to the trunk to a passenger in the vehicle). Or for that matter a bike. Because the occupant of a car can easily reach under the seat and grab the firearm(illegal). Or the rider or passenger on a bike can easily reach into a saddlebag or backpack(illegal).

Last edited:

DetroitBiker

I would HIGHLY recommend that the OP only open carry on a motorcycle with a CPL

and if you don't have a CPL,transport unloaded in a Locked case.

even if you have hardbags on the bike,put the handgun in a case.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The vehicle does not have to be moving .I was in a motorcycle accident in 07,my bike was pinned under a SUV and I was a few feet away lying on the ground when rescue and police arrived.

while the cop was running my plate he discovered I had a CPL and asked If I was carrying, I said no,my Glock is not on me,its in a holster with a towel wrapped around it in my hard saddlebag. He went off on me at that point saying that it didn't have to be ON me. If it was in reach ,I was in possession of it.

To make a long story short, He took my gun ,went through both my saddle bags,and Jammed me up pretty good. It was not a good experience.
after several calls to Brownstown Prosecuting attorney he did give me my Gun back. I will never forget the way that cop screamed obscenities at me
and treated me like Sh!t while I stood there bleeding all over Telegraph road. :mad:
Sounds to me like he owes you an apology.

TheQ

Regarding locked or not: the more hoops you have to jump through to get to your gun if you don't have a CPL, the safer you will be.

YMMV, IANAL, I won't pay for your lawyer.

American Pride!

This was the reason I first looked into my CPL. I was always freaking out everytime I would go ride to the range. I'd have my guns and ammo in my backpack.

I asked half a dozen cops and they all just said "get your CPL"

I don't know what it costs there, but my CPL was about $52 for 5 years. Just get it if you're legally allowed

griffin

He went off on me at that point saying that it didn't have to be ON me. If it was in reach, I was in possession of it. To make a long story short, He took my gun ,went through both my saddle bags,and Jammed me up pretty good.

That's a messed up story. The saddle bags are your trunk. You could get to that about as easily as getting a firearm out of an automobile's trunk. I take it the prosecutor didn't prosecute you, but the cop wrote you up for failure to declare?