• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah fine tunes OC law

LESGTINCT

By Dennis Romboy Deseret Morning News

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Carrying a holstered gun or toting a rifle would not be grounds for a disorderly conduct or other criminal charges under a proposed law Utah legislators are again considering.

Rep. Paul Ray, R-Clearfield, introduced his latest version of the bill to the Judiciary Interim Committee on Wednesday but said he still needs to make some changes so it "reads a little bit better."

"Last year, there was a lot of wrangling over wording," he said. The House passed Ray's bill during the 2012 Legislature, but it died in the Senate. Since then, Ray said he has worked with the Utah Chiefs of Police Association and the Utah League of Cities and Towns to come up with acceptable language.

"I think we're there," he said.

The bill aims to clarify for police that carrying a gun or other dangerous weapon in public is allowed under Utah as long as the person isn't doing anything threatening. Police have sometimes cited people with disorderly conduct under those circumstances, Ray said.

"Last year's bill only dealt with disorderly conduct. We've actually expanded it this year saying, 'Well, there's other categories we ought to fix while we're doing it,'" he said.

The new version lists other Utah laws under which someone openly carrying could not be cited, including trespassing, interfering with a campus activity and disrupting a meeting. Ray's bill stems from an incident outside Orem's University Mall in January 2011 in which a 51-year-old man was walking on the sidewalk with an assault rifle slung over his shoulder and carrying a handgun.

The man was handcuffed and detained for a few minutes, while officers determined the guns were unloaded. Police called his actions reckless and cited him with disorderly conduct. Ray says the bill reinforces the constitutional rights of Utah residents.

Gary Sackett, a Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah board member, said open carry is bad public policy and bad for public safety.

"It makes people concerned. It makes people fearful. It makes people call the police to find out what's going on," Sackett said when contacted after the meeting. "The kind of people who think this is an appropriate thing to do are either paranoid or they want to somehow establish they're alpha males," he said.

Committee co-chairman Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Eagle Mountain, said there have been instances where "people are hauled off and persecuted" by "overzealous" police officers for "very benign behavior."

Rep. Fred Cox, R-West Valley City, said it's obvious to him the current law needs to be changed. "Without fixing it so that somebody can have open carry generally, we have created a situation where our concealed carry permit is, in my opinion, in violation of the state constitution," he said.

Cox said the Utah Constitution is "a lot better in my mind" than the Second Amendment. "To me, it's very clear that someone should be able to carry a weapon to defend themselves," he said.

"There's very few places where we've put restrictions on there, maybe an airport."

Copyright 2012 The Deseret News Publishing Co.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So they are just fixing something that isn't really broke, just clarifying it for their cops.

How about the legislature actually FIX a gun law and get rid of stupid requirement to be "unloaded" without a permit (when on a public street, not in a vehicle), and especially fix their archaic definition of "loaded."

Gil223

So they are just fixing something that isn't really broke, just clarifying it for their cops.

How about the legislature actually FIX a gun law and get rid of stupid requirement to be "unloaded" without a permit (when on a public street, not in a vehicle), and especially fix their archaic definition of "loaded."

The definition of "loaded" definitely needs to be fixed! Pax...

FTG-05

"Gary Sackett, a Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah board member, said open carry is bad public policy and bad for public safety.

"It makes people concerned. It makes people fearful. It makes people call the police to find out what's going on," Sackett said when contacted after the meeting. "The kind of people who think this is an appropriate thing to do are either paranoid or they want to somehow establish they're alpha males," he said."

Excellent example of someone who isn't a) an alpha male and b) really, really delusional.

MKEgal

a Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah board member, said [something stupid, as usual]
Ya know, I'm very surprised that a radical anti-rights group like that would have any members in such a rights-respecting state as UT. Sounds like the legislators have it about right.
Once I have the option of moving, I'd definitely consider UT.

DangerMike

"Gary Sackett, a Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah board member"

I went to their website to check it out.
Under the "State and Local Organizations" header the website has links to <drumroll please>...
California, New York and Illinois anti-rights organizations.
What a shocker!

Essentially, it's an empty placeholder with pretty graphics and no current or Utah-specific content.

Last edited:

mechanicworkman

Man! Every time I read the boards from the state of Utah I love you state more and more! I have family that lives in Utah & did some open carrying while i was there! Terrific state! I love your laws and sensible politicians as far as politicians go!

TechStuffBC

Man! Every time I read the boards from the state of Utah I love you state more and more! I have family that lives in Utah & did some open carrying while i was there! Terrific state! I love your laws and sensible politicians as far as politicians go!

You should come a little north to Idaho. We have far less (and better) firearm laws than Utah!

IdahoCarry.org is the place to be!

Gil223

You should come a little north to Idaho. We have far less (and better) firearm laws than Utah!

IdahoCarry.org is the place to be!

I'm in Idaho frequently... and from what I've seen you have "far less" of everything! ;) (which creates lotsa empty spaces to shoot in!) Pax...

F350

I'm not sure what is being implied here.

You can drink while carrying in both Utah and Nevada. UT has a 0.08% BAC limit, NV has a 0.10% BAC limit.

I live in Grand Junction CO; the largest liquor store is on the west side of town, I run into people from Utah all the time buying by the case or multiple bottles of whiskey, vodka, rum, wine etc. I just drove through western Utah on the way to Phoenix, didn't see a single bar, the motel had a nice steakhouse, could only serve beer. That's what I mean by "buy a drink", walk down the street, go in a bar and have a drink.