Thread: tacoma query - gun shop selection and range

tacoma query - gun shop selection and range

Gentle greetings

i am embarking on a sojourn back to the evergreen state and will be visiting the nephew who just reached his majority and has expressed interest in obtaining a firearm as well as learning how to shoot (much to the chagrin of his parents - which is his issue to deal with from my perspective).

as such i am looking for:

1. a store in the tacoma area w/the largest selection of firearms for him to touch, heft, as well as fit into his hand and 'get a feel' for before he gets his graduation present from his uncle. Suggestions?

2. a reasonably priced tacoma area venue (in/outdoors macht nichts) to shoot the firearms i am bringing w/me so we can have instruction on the safe handling and shooting of firearms.

3. what qualifications (shoots xyz out of abc) or (manditory WA deadly force laws), etc., and certification (NRA) or (must be local giving WA certification) is required for the nephew to present to get his concealed documentation? (pls pm me as i do not wish to incur the wrath of WA forum purists since i mentioned CC out in the open forum itself)

your kind assistance in fulfilling this gentleman's query is certainly appreciated. bis bald.

wabbit

ps: any oc'ers want to meet up for lunch or at a range while i am in the tacoma area next week ping me and lets see what we can do to say hello...
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 09-22-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

As far as local ranges go - www.WaGuns.org/rangemap

Stores have their own page too - www.WaGuns.org/storemap

Surplus Ammo and Arms, Champion Arms, Mary's Pistols are 3 very friendly shops that usually have a decent selection to fondle. Champion Arms, Marksman and Bullseye all have gun rentals, and an indoor range. I know Champion has a guy come in every once in a while and do a class. A lot of members here on this forum support Champion Arms, because they support us (OC'ers).
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Wife and I have to get up to Champion Arms one of these days, we have found Bullseye, both the store and the range to be good folks and very friendly.

Well,,,

3. what qualifications (shoots xyz out of abc) or (manditory WA deadly force laws), etc., and certification (NRA) or (must be local giving WA certification) is required for the nephew to present to get his concealed documentation?

all he (actually ANY US citizen) needs for a washington state CPL,,,is...
    good ID,
    a clean record,
    fingers that will "print"
    and about 57 bucks,,, best have cash...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

3) Training is not required in WA for a CPL. However, training is recommended .

The normal, non-felon, no DV, age of 21+ is the requirements. Visit the local sheriffs office and fill out paperwork and give fingerprints.

Edit: looks like defender got the drop on me.
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 09-22-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Re: tacoma query - gun shop selection and range

As far as your nephew's carry licence, all he needs is docs showing his residence, and a clear record. Oh, and about $60. There's no classes required for a cpl in this state. I like surplus for inexpensive ammo, and Champion is good for looking and trying. Have fun!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    1. a store in the tacoma area w/the largest selection of firearms for him to touch, heft, as well as fit into his hand and 'get a feel' for before he gets his graduation present from his uncle. Suggestions?

2. a reasonably priced tacoma area venue (in/outdoors macht nichts) to shoot the firearms i am bringing w/me so we can have instruction on the safe handling and shooting of firearms.

3. what qualifications (shoots xyz out of abc) or (manditory WA deadly force laws), etc., and certification (NRA) or (must be local giving WA certification) is required for the nephew to present to get his concealed documentation? (pls pm me as i do not wish to incur the wrath of WA forum purists since i mentioned CC out in the open forum itself)
    1 & 2. Even if you're not buying from them, Bullseye is a great place to stop by. You can try out different guns in different calibers to find out which gun would be best. It can be pretty expensive if you're renting the entire case and buying ammo, but the bit you'll spend doing this to make sure he gets the best gun for him is better than him buying something he won't love.

3. No qualifications. Just a trip to the Sheriff/ City Police chief (if inside city limits), about $55.00 and some fingerprints and he should be receiving it within 30 days. We're a shall issue state so as long as his background comes back clean he's good.

No worries about mentioning CC as the CPL is one of the best things you can get for OCing in the state since it allows you to be in vehicles with it loaded as well as within 1000ft of schools (I think that's the distance of the absurd school buffer they made). Pretty much won't have to worry about where he is OCing as long as he stays out of the big no-no areas in the RCWs.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Bullseye is great for trying out a variety of handguns, but let me also second the recommendation of Mary's Pistols as a great place to shop.

WA CPL $53.25

2 Open Carry guys work @ Champion Arms in Kent. Come check us out.

I had a great experience dealing with Marys Pistols. They have a good selection and were very nice to deal with.

thanks for the guidance...

appreciate the insight and i'll check out both tomorrow and thursday

thanks again...

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)