• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

tacoma query - gun shop selection and range

ncwabbit

Gentle greetings

i am embarking on a sojourn back to the evergreen state and will be visiting the nephew who just reached his majority and has expressed interest in obtaining a firearm as well as learning how to shoot (much to the chagrin of his parents - which is his issue to deal with from my perspective).

as such i am looking for:

1. a store in the tacoma area w/the largest selection of firearms for him to touch, heft, as well as fit into his hand and 'get a feel' for before he gets his graduation present from his uncle. Suggestions?

2. a reasonably priced tacoma area venue (in/outdoors macht nichts) to shoot the firearms i am bringing w/me so we can have instruction on the safe handling and shooting of firearms.

3. what qualifications (shoots xyz out of abc) or (manditory WA deadly force laws), etc., and certification (NRA) or (must be local giving WA certification) is required for the nephew to present to get his concealed documentation? (pls pm me as i do not wish to incur the wrath of WA forum purists since i mentioned CC out in the open forum itself)

your kind assistance in fulfilling this gentleman's query is certainly appreciated. bis bald.

wabbit

ps: any oc'ers want to meet up for lunch or at a range while i am in the tacoma area next week ping me and lets see what we can do to say hello...

Last edited:

massivedesign

As far as local ranges go - www.WaGuns.org/rangemap

Stores have their own page too - www.WaGuns.org/storemap

Surplus Ammo and Arms, Champion Arms, Mary's Pistols are 3 very friendly shops that usually have a decent selection to fondle. Champion Arms, Marksman and Bullseye all have gun rentals, and an indoor range. I know Champion has a guy come in every once in a while and do a class. A lot of members here on this forum support Champion Arms, because they support us (OC'ers).

Vitaeus

Wife and I have to get up to Champion Arms one of these days, we have found Bullseye, both the store and the range to be good folks and very friendly.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

3. what qualifications (shoots xyz out of abc) or (manditory WA deadly force laws), etc., and certification (NRA) or (must be local giving WA certification) is required for the nephew to present to get his concealed documentation?

all he (actually ANY US citizen) needs for a washington state CPL,,,is...
good ID,
a clean record,
fingers that will "print"
and about 57 bucks,,, best have cash...

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
3) Training is not required in WA for a CPL. However, training is recommended .

The normal, non-felon, no DV, age of 21+ is the requirements. Visit the local sheriffs office and fill out paperwork and give fingerprints.

Edit: looks like defender got the drop on me. :)

Last edited:

DamonK

As far as your nephew's carry licence, all he needs is docs showing his residence, and a clear record. Oh, and about $60. There's no classes required for a cpl in this state. I like surplus for inexpensive ammo, and Champion is good for looking and trying. Have fun!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

xxx.jakk.xxx

1. a store in the tacoma area w/the largest selection of firearms for him to touch, heft, as well as fit into his hand and 'get a feel' for before he gets his graduation present from his uncle. Suggestions?

2. a reasonably priced tacoma area venue (in/outdoors macht nichts) to shoot the firearms i am bringing w/me so we can have instruction on the safe handling and shooting of firearms.

3. what qualifications (shoots xyz out of abc) or (manditory WA deadly force laws), etc., and certification (NRA) or (must be local giving WA certification) is required for the nephew to present to get his concealed documentation? (pls pm me as i do not wish to incur the wrath of WA forum purists since i mentioned CC out in the open forum itself)

1 & 2. Even if you're not buying from them, Bullseye is a great place to stop by. You can try out different guns in different calibers to find out which gun would be best. It can be pretty expensive if you're renting the entire case and buying ammo, but the bit you'll spend doing this to make sure he gets the best gun for him is better than him buying something he won't love.

3. No qualifications. Just a trip to the Sheriff/ City Police chief (if inside city limits), about $55.00 and some fingerprints and he should be receiving it within 30 days. We're a shall issue state so as long as his background comes back clean he's good.

No worries about mentioning CC as the CPL is one of the best things you can get for OCing in the state since it allows you to be in vehicles with it loaded as well as within 1000ft of schools (I think that's the distance of the absurd school buffer they made). Pretty much won't have to worry about where he is OCing as long as he stays out of the big no-no areas in the RCWs.