• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defense options in "criminal safety zones"

Freiheit417

Hello all,

I'm looking for options for defense in areas where firearms or "weapons" are prohibited. I hope this is still on-topic for OCDO, since CT has some areas that are prohibited specifically by statue or admin rule as far as firearms are concerned.

I haven't been able to locate any laws in CT pertaining to OC pepper spray for example.
Is it legal in:
- schools/school grounds
- municipal buildings posted "no firearms or weapons" - eg. town hall, police station (yes, my town is posted :( )
- state parks/forests/WMA's
- any other area posted "no firearms or weapons"

Also, is a knife with blade length under 4 inches legal in the aforementioned locations? Is a knife only a "dangerous weapon" or "deadly weapon" by statute if over 4" or if it meets other definitions under Sec. 53-206 and therefore prohibited by Sec. 53a-217b if on school grounds? The admin rules for state parks/forests also mention "weapons."

(a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that he is not
licensed or privileged to do so, he possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section
53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary
school or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

This all seems to hinge on the definition of "deadly weapon" or "dangerous weapon."

Admin: If this it OT, please forgive the intrusion. If CT law allowed me to carry a firearm anywhere for protection, there would be no discussion to be had.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I carried pepper spray in school, of course it was against the student handbook, but Washington state law specifically preempted pepper spray and forbade any unit of government from regulating its carry.

I don't know, a hammer can definitely be defined as a deadly weapon,

read the statute at play

Chapter 943 sec 53-206 said:
Sec. 53-206. Carrying of dangerous weapons prohibited. (a) Any person who carries upon his or her person any BB. gun, blackjack, metal or brass knuckles, or any dirk knife, or any switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, or stiletto, or any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or more in length, any police baton or nightstick, or any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both. Whenever any person is found guilty of a violation of this section, any weapon or other instrument within the provisions of this section, found upon the body of such person, shall be forfeited to the municipality wherein such person was apprehended, notwithstanding any failure of the judgment of conviction to expressly impose such forfeiture.

Now look at definition of dangerous instrument
Chapter 950 sec 53a-3 said:
"Dangerous instrument" means any instrument, article or substance which, under the circumstances in which it is used or attempted or threatened to be used, is capable of causing death or serious physical injury, and includes a "vehicle" as that term is defined in this section and includes a dog that has been commanded to attack, except a dog owned by a law enforcement agency of the state or any political subdivision thereof or of the federal government when such dog is in the performance of its duties under the direct supervision, care and control of an assigned law enforcement officer

to me this would mean a hammer carried for the purpose of self defense is out of the question. however pepper spray and body armor seem to be ok under the wording of the statute. This may also be construed to mean a knife, even if under 4 inches, carried for the purpose or intent of self defense (threatened to be used) may not be ok either, if it is intended to be used as a weapon

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Picture of Rose O'Donnell ... will disable your attacker by his scratching his own eyes out .. but maybe not .. too many people have been injured looking at her, its inhumane.

DamonK

I would recommend what they call a tactical, or self defence pen. If you google it you'll see tons of them. Even a regular ball point can work in a pinch. I would say taking a few krav maga classes might do you some good to. I prefer that discipline because it teaches very practical techniques and mindset. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2