• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why can our officials not do their job?

pfries

OK that may be a bit harsh but still I had to send the following email off today to follow up on the fact that the
Department of Safety & Homeland Security cannot seem to keep its site updated which is paramount,
after all the smallest bit of misinformation can land one in jail.
Not so much on this issue but none the less information needs to be both accurate and up to date.
Just FYI the email string was copied on this as it started 7/31/12 and both Governor Haslam and Congressman Roe
were copied this time as no real response has been given. We need to hold those responsible accountable as they do with us.

PFries
XXX XXXXXX Rd.
XXXXX XXXX XX XXXXX
September 22, 2012

Bill Gibbons
Commissioner
Department of Safety and Homeland Security

Commissioner Gibbons:

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that a simple issue I emailed about on July 31, 2012 was neither addressed nor was I responded to beyond the
“Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Department of Safety and Homeland Security. Your e-mail has been forwarded on to the appropriate division and
you will receive a response as soon as possible. If you should have any further comments or questions, please feel free to let us know.” form letter.

As responsible gun owners and permit holders it is of the utmost importance that we stay up to date on all of the laws, rules and regulations.
For a department of the state to offer a resource to this information is an invaluable tool, however it is imperative that the information contained within
said resource must be current and correct. Within the scope of some information contained on the page, certain changes could occur that if not updated regularly,
as is proving to be the case, a misinformed individual could face a felony arrest. After such an incident the State of TN could well be cited as an authority on its own laws;
this would for one not look good for the State and secondly would cause undue hardship on a defendant.
As you may be well aware, many of our current laws leave too much to interpretation as it is.
This affliction is not isolated to our laws regarding the right to bear arms it is much farther reaching.
I would like to point out that this particular instance is covered under;

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351

(3) (A) The commissioner of safety shall enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of the agreements.
The commissioner of safety shall prepare and publicly publish a current list of states honoring permits issued by the state of Tennessee
and shall make the list available to anyone upon request. The commissioner of safety shall also prepare and publicly publish a current list of states who,
after inquiry by the commissioner, refuse to enter into a reciprocity agreement with this state or honor handgun carry permits issued by this state.
To the extent that any state may impose conditions in the reciprocity agreements, the commissioner of safety shall publish those conditions as part of the list.
If another state imposes conditions on Tennessee permit holders in a reciprocity agreement,
the conditions shall also become a part of the agreement and apply to the other state's permit holders when they carry a handgun in this state.

I would also like to note that not correcting this this error, especially after having it pointed out seven and one half weeks prior,
and (as noted below) having taken effect 10 and one half months prior, is an unnecessarily long and unacceptable length of time.

This information (Wisconsin act 35) was signed into law on July 8, 2011 was published on July 22, 2011 and took effect on November 01, 2011.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35.pdf (Please note Page 8)

“(2g) CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON; POSSESSION
AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE DOCUMENT OR AUTHORIZATION.
(a) A licensee or an out−of−state licensee may carry a
concealed weapon anywhere in this state except as provided
under subs. (15m) and (16) and ss. 943.13 (1m) (c)
and 948.605 (2) (b) 1r.
(b) Unless the licensee or out−of−state licensee is carrying
a concealed weapon in a manner described under s.
941.23 (2) (e), a licensee shall have with him or her his
or her license document and photographic identification
card and an out−of−state licensee shall have with him or
her his or her out−of−state license and photographic identification
card at all times during which he or she is carrying
a concealed weapon.”

The official link to Out-of-state Licenses Recognized in Wisconsin Updated and effective as of 06-11-12 can be found here:

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/out-of-state-list-20111108.docx.pdf

I would like to believe that most of the leg work to the relevant information has been accomplished, cited, and linked for your reference.
If any further assistance is needed or requested I will gladly do what I can on this and any other matters that may be of concern.
I respectfully request once again that this issue be addressed in a timely manner and that I be contacted when the information is brought current and in to compliance.

Respectfully

PFries
XXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

Last edited: