• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need OWB retention holsters for full size Glock and 1911

code.mafia

Have been concealed carrying for 9 years. Oklahoma gets open carry 11/1. Currently my favorite is a Milt Sparks for my 1911. Well made and comfortable but they don't make any retention type holsters and I think if I'm going to carry open I need some form of retention but I don't know the pro's and con's of the different type of retention. I carry the Glock in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. Cheap and works well but not as comfortable as the MS.

What do you guys recommend for a quality holster? What types of retention should I consider? Stay away from? I want something comfortable and secure but as fast as possible.

I currently carry concealed in the 4:30-5:00 position. I am thinking 3:00 or appendix carry for open although I'm a little concerned with sitting in a car or chair with a full sized weapon in that position.

Also, on what you recommend, do these brands/styles normally have long lead times or are they commonly in stock?

Thanks.

Michigander

Anything by Safariland, over anything by Blackhawk, in my honest opinion.

My personal preference is the 6280, but I am not kidding when I say "anything" by safariland. If their product fits your needs, you will not be disappointed. Their quality is very good.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
If you go back through my threads, and if you look at the thread I just posted in here you will think I am a Safariland preacher LOL!

For your 1911 specifically and probably your Glock as well I don't think you can beat the Safariland ALS system. I open carry a smaller Kimber Ultra 1911 in my Safariland holster.

The Safariland retention system is perfect, in that the locking lever is on the inside where your thumb is, right where your thumb would normally be to release the safety on a 1911, thus making use of your muscle memory already ingrained when you are used to carrying a 1911 pistol.

The paddle also has a very secure retention system to lock the paddle on your belt. One of the best I've seen. As well, the paddle is large and I've found it to be very comfortable on my hip. Much more so than some other paddles.

I ride a recumbent bicycle quite a bit, laying nearly on my back, and the locking system for the pistol is awesome. Riding over bumps/roots etc it has held my gun securely without failure for a couple of years now.

If you ever decide to carry a shorter 1911 pistol, it is possible to cut up to 1 1/4" off the bottom of the holster without compromising the retention system, and making it more concealable if you ever decide to use it for both OC and CC.

By no means am I disparaging other retention holsters out there, but these are the reasons I highly recommend the Safariland ALS holsters.

I had no problems with ordering. They are a big enough company that I would imagine they keep a pretty good supply on hand.

Last edited:

Gil223

Have been concealed carrying for 9 years. Oklahoma gets open carry 11/1. Currently my favorite is a Milt Sparks for my 1911. Well made and comfortable but they don't make any retention type holsters and I think if I'm going to carry open I need some form of retention but I don't know the pro's and con's of the different type of retention. I carry the Glock in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. Cheap and works well but not as comfortable as the MS.

What do you guys recommend for a quality holster? What types of retention should I consider? Stay away from? I want something comfortable and secure but as fast as possible.

I currently carry concealed in the 4:30-5:00 position. I am thinking 3:00 or appendix carry for open although I'm a little concerned with sitting in a car or chair with a full sized weapon in that position.

Also, on what you recommend, do these brands/styles normally have long lead times or are they commonly in stock?

Thanks.

I'm sure there are those in this thread who will look down their nose at this suggestion, but "Uncles Mike's" (I can almost hear the laughter) has recently produced a retention holster that seems to have been well-received by the reviewers. I too, usually wear a Crossbreed Super Tuck with my Glocks at the 3-3:30 position. In the winter I usually go to coat-pocket carry or a shoulder rig - or both. Check out "Uncle Mike's Reflex Open Top" holster, and I think OpticsPlanet.com has it in stock for significantly less than MSRP. (Right now I believe it's only available for about 6 different handguns, including several Glock models and one Sig.) Pax...

FreeInAZ

Anything by Safariland, over anything by Blackhawk, in my honest opinion.

My personal preference is the 6280, but I am not kidding when I say "anything" by safariland. If their product fits your needs, you will not be disappointed. Their quality is very good.

I gotta agree with Michigander on this one. He & I are Glock carriers He in 10mm and I in (G9's aka G17 & 26) safariland are excellent holsters. Blackhawks work well too - but it's form & function you get with the safariland which costs more, but you'll be glad you spent the extra bucks. ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If your CCW holster does not have Level II+ retention, why are you looking for that in an OC holster?

I believe what we have here is paranoia about OCing and some yahoo sneaking up behind you and grabbing you gun and doing - something. Either that or the "logic" that because cops use retention holsters, and cops OC, then all other OCers should use retention holsters as well.

Cops use Level-II+ retention holsters because some of the people they intentionally encounter do try and take their guns away from them. (And perhaps because some of them have a habit of leaving their guns laying about, so their department tries to make it that much more difficult to get it out of the holster in the first place in hopes that if it stays in the holster on the belt they will remember to take it with them?)

Your OC holster should retain your handgun during normal, everyday activities. It should not bounce out when you walk, or even if you do some short flat-land running. If, for some reason, you are going to be jumping over fences, running through hedges, or hanging upside down out of car windows you may want a Level-II+ retention holster - but then you would be either a cop or a BG and not worried about the up-coming OC issue. The ancient advice that is still thrown about is tat you should be able to hold your handgun by the holster, turn it upside down, and give it a gentle shake. If it does not fall out you have enough retention.

Seriously, where are all the documented instances of an OCer having their handgun grabbed out of their holster by some nefarious dude?

Get a holster you like. Heck, get a holster you can "fancy up" - custom carving, embossing and/or stitching. And remember, if you are wearing something that looks like a duty holster you are 1) going to look like a doofus (IMHO) and 2) get mistaken for a cop with no sense of taste or decorum.

stay safe.

Steveboos

If your CCW holster does not have Level II+ retention, why are you looking for that in an OC holster?

I believe what we have here is paranoia about OCing and some yahoo sneaking up behind you and grabbing you gun and doing - something. Either that or the "logic" that because cops use retention holsters, and cops OC, then all other OCers should use retention holsters as well.

Cops use Level-II+ retention holsters because some of the people they intentionally encounter do try and take their guns away from them. (And perhaps because some of them have a habit of leaving their guns laying about, so their department tries to make it that much more difficult to get it out of the holster in the first place in hopes that if it stays in the holster on the belt they will remember to take it with them?)

Your OC holster should retain your handgun during normal, everyday activities. It should not bounce out when you walk, or even if you do some short flat-land running. If, for some reason, you are going to be jumping over fences, running through hedges, or hanging upside down out of car windows you may want a Level-II+ retention holster - but then you would be either a cop or a BG and not worried about the up-coming OC issue. The ancient advice that is still thrown about is tat you should be able to hold your handgun by the holster, turn it upside down, and give it a gentle shake. If it does not fall out you have enough retention.

Seriously, where are all the documented instances of an OCer having their handgun grabbed out of their holster by some nefarious dude?

Get a holster you like. Heck, get a holster you can "fancy up" - custom carving, embossing and/or stitching. And remember, if you are wearing something that looks like a duty holster you are 1) going to look like a doofus (IMHO) and 2) get mistaken for a cop with no sense of taste or decorum.

stay safe.

Too Funny. Great information. I agree completely.

I like to have a retention holster just for the fact i like to have some extra security features on my holster. Been carrying the Serpa for months and it works great and can be adjusted to fit most body types. Quality is also great!

rugerlcr357lg

Thanks.

I looked at stores and all I found was Nylon or $75 to $100 leather ones, then I found an awesome leather holster that your belt goes "through", which I think is the most important part OF retention. The company is Barsony. Nice leather and only 30 bucks on eBay.
I also bought from their website. Took 8 long days to get it either way. Gotta specifly Belt "loop" for the type I got for an LCR ruger or they will send you one with just a "clip" (like they did my friend).
My dog even approves of the smell!

Michigander

If your CCW holster does not have Level II+ retention, why are you looking for that in an OC holster?.

Criminals are almost always terrified of gun nuts, so to speak. As in non cops who carry guns, and by the perception of criminals practice regularly for that rare opportunity to kill them. This is why plain clothes OCing doesn't generally generate a lot of grab attempts.

What that doesn't mean is that it can't happen. A large crowd drunk off its ass, a bad neighborhood with someone high out of their minds or otherwise someone deranged, issues can come up. The low chance of it happening doesn't alter the fact that the possibility is there. Thus, my suggestion is for someone who is newer to OCing to carry with a level 2+ in urban areas, and later to make a well informed choice backed up by lots of practice to decide whether or not you want to lower your retention level.

Considering the fact that holsters can end up being a life and death choice, I suggest caution in advocating a one size fits all approach.