• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backyard vs. inside house

rickyray9

Can someone give me a clarification on shooting an intruder in my backyard. I have an 8 ft cinder block wall/fence that some jumped the other night and spray painted graffiti on it. Can I shoot a fool in my backyard defacing my property? This comes a week after my 4 tires on my truck got slashed. Police says its not important enough to send out someone. I just need to know the law.????

You shoot someone only when you believe that your life or the life of a loved one is in imminent danger. You don't want a dead man on your conscience over some spray paint... especially not if it turns out to be a kid.

As far as the law goes, ask a lawyer. We're not the DA, so we don't know. I'm sure where he is standing, what he is carrying, and where you shoot him are factors in whether or not the DA prosecutes you.

28kfps

Can someone give me a clarification on shooting an intruder in my backyard. I have an 8 ft cinder block wall/fence that some jumped the other night and spray painted graffiti on it. Can I shoot a fool in my backyard defacing my property? This comes a week after my 4 tires on my truck got slashed. Police says its not important enough to send out someone. I just need to know the law.????

It you have to ask such question my advice for the sake of the pro-gun and open carry group would be for you to remove the firing pins out of your firearms and have someone else hang on to them until you have a chance to read older posting on open carry, do shoot no shoot research, get more training and legal advice.