• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you....

5918mike

Absolutely not. I used to be the nice guy and let them know until I had a couple bad encounters. I'm not interested in the lectures and such or misinformation about how I store the weapon etc so I quit telling them. I was once asked if I had any illegal weapons and I simply answered no but if I am asked directly if there are firearms in the vehicle I will try not to answer the question by asking them why I was stopped and hope they drop that line of questioning all together. If they persist I will answer truthfully that I have a firearm. I use the same tactic if I am open carrying and they ask me if I have a CPL, I will point out that I am OC and therefore not required to have my CPL and try not to offer an answer to their direct question.

DeltaOps

If I was to get pulled over, I would let one know I am legally carrying a loaded pistol. Not for the LEOs safety, but for my safety. Last thing I need is to be pulled over and while I am retrieving my registration, isurance and my DL is to hear "FREEZE PLACE YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM" all the while I am looking down the barrel of some LEOs gun. I have been around guns my whole life, been around LEOs my whole life, I have seen the bad the good and the ugly. I am not willing to risk my life for some bad LEO with a itchy trigger finger. If I happen to get pulled over at night, the dome light gets turned on and both hands go on the wheel (even during the day both hands go on the wheel) and I wait for the LEO to approach.

Most of my concealed carry and other weapons training, they do suggest that you let the LEO know you are carrying. Again that is up to you as to what you want to do.

CCinMaine

I keep all my info with exception of my licence in my visor. Been considering carrying my wallet on my weak side, but that would take some getting used to. It would keep hands away from the firearm at all times though. But I never inform police about being armed unless asked directly and redirection doesn't work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DeltaOps

Wouldn't it be safer for everyone just to carry the documents in a place where you don't have to go near your gun to retrieve them?

Since we are only talking about LEOs and being pulled over by one. The safe sure bet is to not even have a gun in a vehicle, bjut then again, that is still not safe. Now to shy away a little, it would be safer if everyone carried either CC or OC. The problem with that is, not everyone does.

I carry my gun on my right side while driving, either that or on the seat next to me when nobody is in the car. Mainly on my side though. Sometimes you will have two LEOs walk up on you, the one on the passenger side is usually a rookie, but not all the time. If the rookie is not familiar with the laws, it could turn ugly real quick. Like I said, I am worried about my safety so I do what I need to do without giving up my rights. I will never GIVE my rights up, sometimes I may choose to wave certain ones. That is my choice and I am the only one that has to answer to my choices. (no intentions to sound defensive or take anything personal).

If something should happen and it gets ugly, I only need to make one call and as long as I am not at fault, my rights will not be violated.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Since we are only talking about LEOs and being pulled over by one. The safe sure bet is to not even have a gun in a vehicle, bjut then again, that is still not safe. Now to shy away a little, it would be safer if everyone carried either CC or OC. The problem with that is, not everyone does.

I carry my gun on my right side while driving, either that or on the seat next to me when nobody is in the car. Mainly on my side though. Sometimes you will have two LEOs walk up on you, the one on the passenger side is usually a rookie, but not all the time. If the rookie is not familiar with the laws, it could turn ugly real quick. Like I said, I am worried about my safety so I do what I need to do without giving up my rights. I will never GIVE my rights up, sometimes I may choose to wave certain ones. That is my choice and I am the only one that has to answer to my choices. (no intentions to sound defensive or take anything personal).

If something should happen and it gets ugly, I only need to make one call and as long as I am not at fault, my rights will not be violated.

Wrong! As I said, logically he should assume I'm one of the "good guys" and that therefore I am armed! You are swallowing the propaganda, that as Americans we need a piece of paper to exercise our right to keep and bear arms. You also share the assumption that having a gun means you are probably one of the "bad guys". Being a good citizen means you are armed! You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. It's clear that unless I'm engaged in felonious activity I have a right to carry (With one of the unconstitutional permits) and he doesn't need to know I'm armed. I'm no more dangerous being armed than he is!

Not showing a LEO my permit does not mean I don't respect him, as I and others have said, my possession of a permit has nothing to do with the stop!

rapgood

My 28 year old son (ex-Navy nuclear mechanic with expert certification in both long guns and handguns) was out riding one afternoon (Harley D. - and in full black leathers) and was pulled over on I-90 by a WA State Patrol trooper. It seems that when my son was riding, the wind was blowing his t-shirt up and exposing his pistol. The trooper told him that he pulled him over only for that reason and, without asking for his CPL or anything else, very politely requested that my son cover because of several calls they received and that "the gun was distracting other drivers." The trooper was concerned about the other drivers causing an accident. My son said, "Sure." End of contact. Cool-headed LEO and cool-headed carrier.

It has invariably been my experience that state troopers are very well trained and generally have a much less confrontational disposition than do non-troopers.

Last edited:

DeltaOps

Wrong! As I said, logically he should assume I'm one of the "good guys" and that therefore I am armed! You are swallowing the propaganda, that as Americans we need a piece of paper to exercise our right to keep and bear arms. You also share the assumption that having a gun means you are probably one of the "bad guys". Being a good citizen means you are armed! You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. It's clear that unless I'm engaged in felonious activity I have a right to carry (With one of the unconstitutional permits) and he doesn't need to know I'm armed. I'm no more dangerous being armed than he is!

Not showing a LEO my permit does not mean I don't respect him, as I and others have said, my possession of a permit has nothing to do with the stop!

The red letters is the reason I choose to let them know up front that I am carrying. I do not swallow any propaganda and I do not need a fundamental shift in anything. We all have choices in life and nobody should tell us what choice to make. One can always suggest but again, we have that choice to make.

I would suggest you stop assuming and telling others what needs to be done and maybe suggest it to them. If they choose to make his/her own decision, let it be that. I am nobodies sheep, I follow my own path and don't ever get caught up in anyones propaganda.

LkWd_Don

Originally Posted by gogodawgs

The red letters is the reason I choose to let them know up front that I am carrying. I do not swallow any propaganda and I do not need a fundamental shift in anything. We all have choices in life and nobody should tell us what choice to make. One can always suggest but again, we have that choice to make.

I would suggest you stop assuming and telling others what needs to be done and maybe suggest it to them. If they choose to make his/her own decision, let it be that. I am nobodies sheep, I follow my own path and don't ever get caught up in anyones propaganda.

Actually, as SPD has shown time and time again, You are less Dangerous than they are! It is becoming very apparent that they do not assess the situation before squeezing the trigger.

Look at the man who called 911 to report a stalker outside his home, just to be shot by the police seconds after they arrived on the scene. Knowing I am hard of hearing, if they were shouting too quickly, I would not have understood a thing they were saying, especially if more than one of them were talking at the same time.

I want to see the video of that encounter as I presently think those officers should be disciplined, but do not want to be unfair like the SPD usually is.

If you look at the incident back east recently, all of the innocent victims(by-standers) of gun fire were shot by Police!

amzbrady

Heres a question, does anyone have their firearm unholstered in their vehicle in plain site. I keep my firearm in its holster betweent the seat and center console in it's holster. It is in plain site if you look through the drivers window. ( this is when I am in the vehicle ) I put it out of sight when I get out of the vehicle. I only think I would have a delima if an officer were to ask me to get out of the vehicle, I would have to put the firearm out of sight, in which I would have to let the officer in order to comply I would have to put my firearm out of site meaning I would have to handle the firearm. I dont travel with my firearm unholstered. I wonder what would happen if you just had a firearm laying on your passenger seat unholstered when a cop walked up what legal standing he would have, would that warrant alarm or reason to search. What do ya think.

DeltaOps

Heres a question, does anyone have their firearm unholstered in their vehicle in plain site. I keep my firearm in its holster betweent the seat and center console in it's holster. It is in plain site if you look through the drivers window. ( this is when I am in the vehicle ) I put it out of sight when I get out of the vehicle. I only think I would have a delima if an officer were to ask me to get out of the vehicle, I would have to put the firearm out of sight, in which I would have to let the officer in order to comply I would have to put my firearm out of site meaning I would have to handle the firearm. I dont travel with my firearm unholstered. I wonder what would happen if you just had a firearm laying on your passenger seat unholstered when a cop walked up what legal standing he would have, would that warrant alarm or reason to search. What do ya think.

When I am wearing my thigh rig, I unbuckle my rig and sit the gun in the holster on the seat next to me. Either that or between the seat and the middle console. Any LEO would not have RAS, only thing he could ask for is my CPL, but nothing else they could do legally.

Metalhead47

When I am wearing my thigh rig, I unbuckle my rig and sit the gun in the holster on the seat next to me. Either that or between the seat and the middle console. Any LEO would not have RAS, only thing he could ask for is my CPL, but nothing else they could do legally.

I wonder if any of y'all who set your gun on the seat next to you have ever stopped to think about what it's going to do when you have to swerve, brake hard, or get in an unavoidable accident where stuff goes flying around the interior...:rolleyes:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I wonder if any of y'all who set your gun on the seat next to you have ever stopped to think about what it's going to do when you have to swerve, brake hard, or get in an unavoidable accident where stuff goes flying around the interior...:rolleyes:

Hence why it is safer to duct tape it to your forehead!

:banana::banana::banana: