• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearms Sign at Grayson Lake

rscottie

I went to a Family Reunion this weekend at Grayson Lake State Park.

This "No Firearms" greeted me on the backside of the dam.

There is another one just like it as you turn in to the Marina.

Am I correct that these are not lawful?

Attachments

• GraysonLakeSignSmall.jpg
    GraysonLakeSignSmall.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You can't have firearms around the damn, but the marina is state owned and maintained, not ACoE maintained. The sign at the marina is unlawful.

rscottie

This sign was going down in to the picnic area below the dam.

There are shelter houses, hiking trails, and many people fish in the stream down there.

Last edited:

Brian D.

Congress had a fix in the works for this--like lifting restrictions against carry in the national parks--but it seems like the bill can't get/keep traction.

By the way you guys keep using a cussword--a structure built to hold back a body of water is a "dam". :)

rscottie

Dam, I mean darn.

This is a State Park and my understanding was that guns are legal in State Parks.

If they are using the dam as an excuse, how far does the restriction zone go?

I can understand security near the actual dam but these are picnic areas not on/near the dam itself.

09jisaac

I can understand security near the actual dam but these are picnic areas not on/near the dam itself.

How so? I cannot destroy a damn dam with a firearm.

Also, don't you think any terrorist organization can find a better target than Grayson lake or most other COE property? I can do more damage with less anything driving 20 min to Ashland Oil.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Dam, I mean darn.

This is a State Park and my understanding was that guns are legal in State Parks.

Carry in state parks is completely legal. However, if the ACoE maintains any portion of a lake then the portion that they control is off limits for carry.

All the trails can be carried on, you just can't carry near the dam or picnic area that the ACoE maintains. If you want to walk the trails park somewhere else. There is nothing I want to see near the dam, so I stay away. I go to the marina, boat ramps, camp ground, and other areas around the lake. You cannot be denied your right to carry as long as you stay out of the dam area.

neuroblades

Dam, I mean darn.

Sir, it looks and sounds like you're dealing with the same exact situation that we encounter around the Jenny Wiley State Park. It is fully legal to carry openly or concealed in and around the State Park area, including Dewey Lake but as soon as you approach the Dewey Dam, specifically as you start down the hil into the spillway area, you encounter the evil ACoE "No Gun" sign! If this is the case there, then you can legally carry ANYWHERE that the ACoE has not posted! It is legal to carry in the State Parks, perse. It is legal to even carry in National Park, thanks to of all people, Obama! But there's still an issue with the ACoE! There was supposedly some legislation that was in the works, as mentioned above, that would change this No Guns foolishness in the ACoE controlled areas but it seems to have faltered in the past couple of years.

neuroblades

Carry in state parks is completely legal. However, if the ACoE maintains any portion of a lake then the portion that they control is off limits for carry.

All the trails can be carried on, you just can't carry near the dam or picnic area that the ACoE maintains. If you want to walk the trails park somewhere else. There is nothing I want to see near the dam, so I stay away. I go to the marina, boat ramps, camp ground, and other areas around the lake. You cannot be denied your right to carry as long as you stay out of the dam area.

All the things you've desribed here Glockster are the very reasons I stay away from Paintsville Lake will no longer have ANYTHING to do with them or their lake! The ACoE has there signs set before you even reach the dam, the trails, the sights or the marina! There's NOWHERE you can go in Paintsville Lake proper that a gun owner wouldn't be violating the ACoE law.

There is one interesting fact though, there's a trail that you can get on that is outside (no ACoE signage) that will lead right back into the lake are and near the "ranger" building and straight onto the dam. I've walked that trail a couple times and coming in the "backway" on this trail could lead to some serious issues with ACoE if someone wasn't made aware previously.

neuroblades

rscottie

I assume the ACoE is the Corps of Engineers?

So no one has defined how much area they can claim around a dam in order to keep out firearms?

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I assume the ACoE is the Corps of Engineers?

So no one has defined how much area they can claim around a dam in order to keep out firearms?

Yes it is the corps. I don't believe there is a defined area that I know of, but as long as you are not on the dam, or around the picnic area that is operated by the corps then you will be fine. I have never noticed a sign upon entering the marina. Could you tell me where it is located? They cannot ban carry at the marina because the corps has nothing to do with it -- it is entirely operated by the state. If they are banning firearms at the lake (other than the dam area) then a few phone calls need to be made to the Kentucky Parks department.

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.lrh.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Kentucky/GraysonLake.aspx

As you can see, under "General Information" it plainly states that the marina is not operated by the ACoE. The only parts operated by them are the area that you described, which goes down into the dam area where the picnic shelters and such are.

Here is another page that is probably even more helpful! It plainly says what is controlled by the corps and what isn't with a red marker.

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=H106790

It seems the two small trails you were speaking of are operated by the ACoE so they are OFF limits with firearms. All of the other trails at the lake are unrestricted though, and carry is allowed.

Last edited:

rscottie

That area where the picnic shelter houses are and parking lots is definitely not a place I would want to be without access to a firearm as it is very secluded.

How does the Corps of Engineers circumvent not only the Bill of Rights but also our Kentucky Constitution?

rscottie

Yes it is the corps. I don't believe there is a defined area that I know of, but as long as you are not on the dam, or around the picnic area that is operated by the corps then you will be fine. I have never noticed a sign upon entering the marina. Could you tell me where it is located? They cannot ban carry at the marina because the corps has nothing to do with it -- it is entirely operated by the state. If they are banning firearms at the lake (other than the dam area) then a few phone calls need to be made to the Kentucky Parks department.

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.lrh.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Kentucky/GraysonLake.aspx

As you can see, under "General Information" it plainly states that the marina is not operated by the ACoE. The only parts operated by them are the area that you described, which goes down into the dam area where the picnic shelters and such are.

Here is another page that is probably even more helpful! It plainly says what is controlled by the corps and what isn't with a red marker.

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=H106790

It seems the two small trails you were speaking of are operated by the ACoE so they are OFF limits with firearms. All of the other trails at the lake are unrestricted though, and carry is allowed.

The sign entering the Marina is right after you turn in the driveway off the main rd (Rt 7?). It is maybe 20-30 yards in. It is the same as the sign I posted.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Sir, it looks and sounds like you're dealing with the same exact situation that we encounter around the Jenny Wiley State Park. It is fully legal to carry openly or concealed in and around the State Park area, including Dewey Lake but as soon as you approach the Dewey Dam, specifically as you start down the hil into the spillway area, you encounter the evil ACoE "No Gun" sign! If this is the case there, then you can legally carry ANYWHERE that the ACoE has not posted! It is legal to carry in the State Parks, perse. It is legal to even carry in National Park, thanks to of all people, Obama! But there's still an issue with the ACoE! There was supposedly some legislation that was in the works, as mentioned above, that would change this No Guns foolishness in the ACoE controlled areas but it seems to have faltered in the past couple of years.

I must correct the Obama statement. Our lovely president didn't have anything to do with allowing firearms in national parks; it was the republicans in the House that placed a rider into a piece of legislation that Obama wanted to become law, and in order for it to become law he had to sign it with the rider there. Obama did nothing, and I am surprised he even signed the bill. It was not a single piece of legislation that passed, and in fact the carry provision didn't have anything to do with the bill it was attatched to. President Obama signed the Credit Card Holders’ Bill of Rights on May 22, 2009, and this was in an amendment to the bill. If you want to give credit, then that credit is owed to Senator Tom Coburn of OK.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The sign entering the Marina is right after you turn in the driveway off the main rd (Rt 7?). It is maybe 20-30 yards in. It is the same as the sign I posted.

I don't believe that sign is enforceable. The corps doesn't do anything beyond the dam, so I don't see this sign applying since it is on the other side of the lake and across the highway. People live at the marina so I don't see how they could ban firearms there, and I know it is maintained by the state because I have done things there when I worked for the D.O.T. The marina it says is operated by a private business, but I know the parking lot and such are state maintained.