• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearms Sign at Grayson Lake

KYGlockster

Activist Member
That area where the picnic shelter houses are and parking lots is definitely not a place I would want to be without access to a firearm as it is very secluded.

How does the Corps of Engineers circumvent not only the Bill of Rights but also our Kentucky Constitution?

This is a very small infringment when compared to others that are committed by the federal government. The government has nearly circumvented every constitutional right we have, and they have destroyed due process completely.

But to answer your question, they do so because the federal government does not care what the Constitution says, and the state of Kentucky has allowed the federal government to control lands they own and operate inside Kentucky any way they please. Look into the Kentucky constitution and you will notice there are sections that concern this very topic. The state should say to them either obey the Constitution or get out, but that will never happen.

rscottie

You know, when there are discussions about gun rights here on this board, we in KY are generally better off than most in parts of the country like Washington DC, Illinois, Californian, New Jersey, etc.

So this sort of hits home and really upsets me.

While Grayson Lake is not known as a major crime zone, down below the damn is quite secluded and I would not want to be there without my firearm.

Brian D.

Whats the punishment for carrying in an ACoE area? Can local law enforement enforce this or would it take a higher up?

I would tend to doubt that local law enforcement are up to speed with regards to those regulations. After all we see examples on this forum everyday that shows they aren't always that good at knowing certain local and state laws. And best I can tell the AC of E has no enforcement officers of their own, I think they'd have to call local yokels or the FBI or U.S. Marshal's office if heaven forbid it was reported that someone was observed carrying a bomb/gun/big pointy stick towards one of their dams.

09jisaac

While Grayson Lake is not known as a major crime zone, down below the damn is quite secluded and I would not want to be there without my firearm.

Crime should only be a small part of it. In eastern Kentucky we have bobcats and coyotes running wild. Then you have have stray dogs and the most deadly wild animal, Deer.

I can do very little actual damage to a well maintained damn with a fully loaded firearm, but I could easily defend myself from wild animals or criminals with one. This needs to be fixed.

rscottie

Crime should only be a small part of it. In eastern Kentucky we have bobcats and coyotes running wild. Then you have have stray dogs and the most deadly wild animal, Deer.

I can do very little actual damage to a well maintained damn with a fully loaded firearm, but I could easily defend myself from wild animals or criminals with one. This needs to be fixed.

Good Point, I forgot threats of the four legged kind.

I did hear that bear sightings have increased in E. KY. I also heard that something even more dangerous has been spotted, wild hogs.

So, even more reason not to go out in the woods "alone".

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Good Point, I forgot threats of the four legged kind.

I did hear that bear sightings have increased in E. KY. I also heard that something even more dangerous has been spotted, wild hogs.

So, even more reason not to go out in the woods "alone".

I don't go anywhere "alone," and I refuse to visit any place that mandates I do so. There are plenty of places around Grayson lake that you can visit and have an incredible time. There are some amazing rock formations around Clifty where there used to be a large water-fall and it created large overhanging rock formations where you can walk out onto them. There is also many places that have some excellent climbing if you were to get into something like that. I would just stay away from that small portion of the lake, and start contacting your federal legislators and ask them to fix the problem. I hope that we can get this attached to some important legislation that both the D's and R's want passed so this illogical ban is done away with.

neuroblades

I must correct the Obama statement. Our lovely president didn't have anything to do with allowing firearms in national parks; it was the republicans in the House that placed a rider into a piece of legislation that Obama wanted to become law, and in order for it to become law he had to sign it with the rider there. Obama did nothing, and I am surprised he even signed the bill. It was not a single piece of legislation that passed, and in fact the carry provision didn't have anything to do with the bill it was attatched to. President Obama signed the Credit Card Holders’ Bill of Rights on May 22, 2009, and this was in an amendment to the bill. If you want to give credit, then that credit is owed to Senator Tom Coburn of OK.

I stand corrected. *LOL* I know he took full credit for tacking it on to the Credit Card Bill. *LOL*

In reference to the ACoE site you posted, I looked up Paintsville Lake (http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=H113570) and accroding to this, the obly limit to 2 areas that they list as ACoE controlled areas. If these are the ONLY 2 areas that they forbid weapons carry, then they need to remove their signs and re-locate them tot he corrected areas. They're located near the Johnson County Rescue Squad building leading into the lake area, prior to the dam.

Additionally, if those are the only 2 areas that are alledgedly off limits, then there's another issue. They list Mountain Home Place as NOT under ACoE control but Mountain Home Place is located on the farside of the dam which IS under ACoE control as is everything else that's NOT supposedly under ACoE control. This leads to a query that I've had for sometime but hasn't been an issue due to the fact that I don't go there becasue of the other ACoE issues. Is it legal to travel ACROSS ACoE territory with your sidearm as long as you and it remain in the vehicle until you reach the alledged "SAFE AREA". Like in reference to the law pertaining to carrying a sidearm on school property (it's legal to have a weapon in the car if you're picking up your kids as long as you DO NOT REMOVE IT from the car)?