• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parking ticket waives my 2nd amendment rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Thats all fine and dandy when you have the money.

You could always stay with a friend in a different city for a couple weeks, get a change of addy, get your permit and then go home.

Illegal suggestion. OP, you're already making bad choices, don't make another one by taking this suggestion.

Where's the moderator when you need them?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
It's not illegal to move.

Where is a cite when you need one?

Look under the statutes for fraud...

The deciding factor will be 'intent'. Was it the defendant's intent that the move be temporary, or permanent? Was it done to avoid his obligations under the law, or escape legal process? If yes, he could be charged.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
If he has to spend money to get his permit, then the money would be better spent in retaining a lawyer than in paying off the mercenaries.

$200 isn't going to get him far- that's what, about 45 minutes of a lawyer's time?

His best bet is to pay his bills like a responsible adult; then get whatever he wants.

stainless1911

Banned
Look under the statutes for fraud...

The deciding factor will be 'intent'. Was it the defendant's intent that the move be temporary, or permanent? Was it done to avoid his obligations under the law, or escape legal process? If yes, he could be charged.

I stand corrected then. Figured it was just jumping through hoops.

$200 isn't going to get him far- that's what, about 45 minutes of a lawyer's time?

His best bet is to pay his bills like a responsible adult; then get whatever he wants.

Money would be better spent by making the .gov follow its own laws than paying its taxes that are being used to keep him where he is. Mine is a more honorable fight by far.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I will indeed be paying down my debt's just as fast as I can.

In the six years I've been down here I've only been broken into twice (not a bad record for around here) and in those two break-ins only lost a set of speakers with amplifier and two cheapo bicycles.

Guess I'll just pray that I get it taken care of before they come back for lucky number three.

The city should hope so as well, they'll have a hell of a time getting my corpse to pay they're precious taxes and fines.
Perhaps, but without paying taxes you could be on the street and not have a house to worry about. Sell you stuff before it's stolen and then pay off your debt.

scot623

If he has to spend money to get his permit, then the money would be better spent in retaining a lawyer than in paying off the mercenaries.

Mercenaries? It's not like he's disputing the debts. He parked illegally and failed to pay the fine. He has taxes he owes and has failed to pay(If everyone failed to pay their taxes...you wouldn't get your check). Just sayin'.

BTW, did you retain a lawyer or strike a plea with the "mercenaries"? Like always...you like doling out advice you rarely take yourself.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
\

BTW, did you retain a lawyer or strike a plea with the "mercenaries"? Like always...you like doling out advice you rarely take yourself.

Yep, the one that everyone thinks is free because that is what is implied by "If you can't afford one, then one will be appointed", then yes, wasted 300 bucks.

They make up some rule that you may or may not be aware of, and then charge you under their authorateh, sometimes at the barrel of a gun, and if you don't cooperate, then they will put you in a box, take your money, your family, sometimes your job, they may beat you or even kill you, again, at the barrel of a gun, usually with your hands tied, so I really thought I was being nice by calling them that. Oh, did I mention, they will hold that "violation" against you for the rest of your life. In this case, they are even willing to break their own laws to deny this poor guy a right that they didn't even give.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Read s-l-o-w-l-y and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y; he can't get the gun UNTIL he cleans up his financial obligations, period.

Rubbish law ... what else can you not buy until you pay off parking tickets? Nothing. You don't need a permit or anything to purchase a gun...that's what gun shows are for.

Get2DahChopper

It sounds like a private sale is his way to go. He then should work on his debt to Detroit. Funny all their officials should be banned from owning firearms until they can pass their own "responsiblity" test and pay their debts off....

Status
Not open for further replies.