• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parking ticket waives my 2nd amendment rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drastikmeazures

Hey everybody, I'm new here. Been looking into buying my first pistol here in Detroit, and according to the cities website...

Purchase Permit (no cost, valid for 10 days)

1. Must have valid Drivers. License or Michigan ID Card
2. Must reside in Detroit
3. Must not have any fines or debts to the City, County, State, or Federal Governments
4. Can not have any parking tickets
5. Can not have any cases in court (civil, misdemeanor or felony cases)

Yes I do have one outstanding parking ticket, as well as owing a couple hundred dollars in back taxes to the city. Seems a little extreme to deny me a basic right because of that though.

Anyone else had this problem? Any insight would be much appreciated.

griffin

Well, since you have a parking ticket which must be paid, and taxes which must be paid, go ahead and pay them. That will clear up your issues. You've got to pay them anyway, right? Or am I missing something?

Drastikmeazures

Well, since you have a parking ticket which must be paid, and taxes which must be paid, go ahead and pay them. That will clear up your issues. You've got to pay them anyway, right? Or am I missing something?

Your right, and I've been trying to pay down my tax debt, but I live paycheck to paycheck, that's why I couldn't pay the parking ticket off right away. It's taken me months just to save up the $200 for the Hi-Point I want to get, so paying off $400 or more will likely take a year or so.

I don't want to shirk off my responsibility, guess I've just been ignorant of the kind of stipulations the government can put on our "rights".

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Your right, and I've been trying to pay down my tax debt, but I live paycheck to paycheck, that's why I couldn't pay the parking ticket off right away. It's taken me months just to save up the $200 for the Hi-Point I want to get, so paying off $400 or more will likely take a year or so.

I don't want to shirk off my responsibility, guess I've just been ignorant of the kind of stipulations the government can put on our "rights".

Well you now have $200 to pay of some of your debt.

Tucker6900

Should he sacrifice his only potential means of self defense? If it was your mother would you provide her the same token of advice?

As parking tickets are mere civil infractions and cannot be used as criminal (at least in Iowa anyway) I say keep get the gun, pay the tickets last.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Should he sacrifice his only potential means of self defense? If it was your mother would you provide her the same token of advice?

Are you sure about that?

Yes, handguns are both effective and efficient, but AFAIK they are not the only means of self defense. I've heard that a harsh look can work somewhere north of 50% of the time. In my younger days I was almost always prepared for a pick-up softball game to break out. I have been told that blades are useful for things besides cutting the ropes binding the heroine to the railroad tracks.

Ownership of a firearm intails a certain level of maturity and responsibility, and it seems the City of Detroit has erected a sort of test for maturity and responsibility. Now that test may not meet Constitutional muster, but it is going to take $$ to find out if it does or not.

The OP would, IMHO, be better off making out a payment plan with the court and the city and learning how to cut down on what may already be a bare-bones income. There are not that many people who canot squeeze $10 a week out of their paycheck, and if that's too much he needs to see if he could squeeze out $5 a week. If he is as broke as he says he is then the court and the city may be likely to take what they can get (without adding in interest which may make the agreement usury, which is against the law) instead of waiting till he is far enough behind so they can throw him in jail where he can work off the debt(s).

Somehow the OP has managed to scrape together $200. He could use the same means to scrape together the rest of what he owes, but pay it as soon as he gets $5 or $10 rather than holding on to it until the entire amount is accumulated.

Sorry (no, I'm not, it's just a phrase) but no sympathy here.

stay safe.

stainless1911

Banned
Are you sure about that?

Yes, handguns are both effective and efficient, but AFAIK they are not the only means of self defense. I've heard that a harsh look can work somewhere north of 50% of the time. In my younger days I was almost always prepared for a pick-up softball game to break out. I have been told that blades are useful for things besides cutting the ropes binding the heroine to the railroad tracks.

Ownership of a firearm intails a certain level of maturity and responsibility, and it seems the City of Detroit has erected a sort of test for maturity and responsibility. Now that test may not meet Constitutional muster, but it is going to take $$ to find out if it does or not.

The OP would, IMHO, be better off making out a payment plan with the court and the city and learning how to cut down on what may already be a bare-bones income. There are not that many people who canot squeeze $10 a week out of their paycheck, and if that's too much he needs to see if he could squeeze out $5 a week. If he is as broke as he says he is then the court and the city may be likely to take what they can get (without adding in interest which may make the agreement usury, which is against the law) instead of waiting till he is far enough behind so they can throw him in jail where he can work off the debt(s).

Somehow the OP has managed to scrape together $200. He could use the same means to scrape together the rest of what he owes, but pay it as soon as he gets $5 or $10 rather than holding on to it until the entire amount is accumulated.

Sorry (no, I'm not, it's just a phrase) but no sympathy here.

stay safe.

Whose side are you on?

Buy your gun OP, and welcome to OCDO. :)

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

As soon as they attached your taxes and/or a fine to your rights to add a condition to obtaining your permit, that tax has become a "special taxation", and is illegal.

I know how you feel, it takes me a similar period of time to generate that kind of money. Not long ago my friend had a hundred dollar bill. I asked if I could hold it because I wanted to see what they really looked like. No joke.

Last edited:

scot623

READ HIS POST PEOPLE!! He CANNOT BUY A GUN WITHOUT PP. He CANNOT OBTAIN A PP in Detroit(illegally I may add). So unless he sues Detroit over their illegal policy, he CANNOT BUY A HANDGUN until he pays his tickets/back taxes.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

You are missing something. Reconsider your answer and post again :)

SpringerXDacp

I say don't pay the parking ticket(s) at all and keep your gun !

Unless I misunderstood the OP's comment, I believe this is his first handgun purchase. And, as Scot623 attempted to point out, it will take a $$$Lawyer$$$ to reverse the D's otherwise illegal policy.

ETA: Oops, slow on the draw.

Last edited:

Drastikmeazures

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I will indeed be paying down my debt's just as fast as I can.

In the six years I've been down here I've only been broken into twice (not a bad record for around here) and in those two break-ins only lost a set of speakers with amplifier and two cheapo bicycles.

Guess I'll just pray that I get it taken care of before they come back for lucky number three.

The city should hope so as well, they'll have a hell of a time getting my corpse to pay they're precious taxes and fines.

DocWalker

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I will indeed be paying down my debt's just as fast as I can.

In the six years I've been down here I've only been broken into twice (not a bad record for around here) and in those two break-ins only lost a set of speakers with amplifier and two cheapo bicycles.

Guess I'll just pray that I get it taken care of before they come back for lucky number three.

The city should hope so as well, they'll have a hell of a time getting my corpse to pay they're precious taxes and fines.

It is really a shame you couldn't sue the city for not keeping you safe after all your taxes pay for the cops....it sounds like they are not doing what they are paid for. You should get a rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.