Thread: It changed their minds very quickly....

It changed their minds very quickly....

Thank God I didn't have to go through with it all the way....

Let me begin by saying that I OC when I am by myself and CC when I am with the missus. She "feels" that the OC brings a lot of uneccessary attention to us and she hates any type of attention. I've tried discussing with her the concept of visual deterrance but it's no use. So to make things easier, I just CC with her.

This weekend though, (Friday night), I was by myself, thus (OC).

So it's dark and I am my way home. I decide to wander over to my friendly liquor store. (We have about six more between me and this one about five miles from my house, but they don't have good selections). Since I'm kind of a beer snob, I was in the mood for a six pack of Magic Hat #9 or maybe something else. I pull into the parking lot of the strip mall area. The liquor store is on the corner next to it is a cigar shop and a couple of other stores going to the right.
    It has the typical overhang with columns that most places have.
    I notice two you teen 'wannabes" hanging out by a column. Keeping watchin on them, I head inside the store.
    Get my beer, and head out.
    I open up the truck door. As I am putting the beer in, Teen #1 say "Hey Man...hey...hey DUDE!"
    If it's one thing I cannot stand, it's being called "Dude"....So that was strike one with this Bozo....
    I looked up...he was standing near the passenger front corner of my truck near the colum, while he friend was "texing" on a cell phone. I had the drivers door concealing half of me.
    "Can I help you?" I said loudly to him.
    He says "yeah..." Just as his friend starts to "casually walk" down the passenger side of my truck "texting" but watching me out of the corner of his eye. Obvious that he is trying to get around behind me. #1 tries to distract by starting to walk around the front.
    "That's far enough.' I tell him. "What do you want?"
    #1 looks around and keeps glancing at his friend who is moving slowly. Sneaky is NOT this guys middle name.
    #1 says : "I was wondering if you would buy us a bottle?"
    I look at him. "You want me to buy you a bottle of booze?"
    He nods "Yeah dude, and maybe give us a ride to a friends hoouse."

Okay so he wants me to commit an illegal act (alcohol to a minor) and then be his taxi.
    I close the door to the truck allowing him to see my .45 on my hip.
    "No..I don't think so." I said to him, hoping that he would get the message.
    He did.
    He glanced down and saw the pistol and his eyes got big and he looked up quickly and shook his head "No"....
    Strangely enough his friend "suddenly decided" to turn around, at that very moment...(Go figure). #1 says "Okay sorry.." and they walk off down the strip mall.

I make my way back into the store. Tell the store manager/owner. He says "Yeah I ran them off about two hours ago." He calls the cops...they come over and voila; finds them both about half a block away.

No prob from the cops...or from the store owner.

Got home and had the shakes after the adrenaline had run it's course.

Told the missus about it...She now undesrstands "Visual deterrance"....

Glad I didn't have to pull the trigger...

Thanks for reading...

Murphy
    Murphy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Go back to sleep....Your Government will take care of you...."

Glad everything worked out for u, maybe the 2 kids will think twice about walking up to someone again. also hope your misses will feel more comfy with u OCing around her now.

Thanks for sharing this, I'm glad everything went in the "best case scenario" for you! Had the same issue with my other half and had some what of the same thing happen to us when I was CC'ing. Now she agrees with OC. Hope the beer tasted good!

Banned
    you should make a movie ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, I'm glad everything went in the "best case scenario" for you! Had the same issue with my other half and had some what of the same thing happen to us when I was CC'ing. Now she agrees with OC. Hope the beer tasted good!
    Thanks to his status as a patriot and carrying his firearm, he walked away from that store with his life. The beer was probably the best tasting he has ever had.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Good situational awareness!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ... Magic Hat #9 or maybe something else....
    So.....which did you get?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

No no. They targeted on you BECAUSE of your visible gun and shot you before you could react. You just don't realize the extent of your injuries because you are in shock. If only you had been CC'ing instead none of this would have happened and your loved ones would not have to go to your funeral.... [/sarcasm]

Ok sorry, couldn't help it. Just thought I'd play the part of the CC only crowd that claims OC is not a deterrent.

Glad you were safe and maybe taught the punks a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    No no. They targeted on you BECAUSE of your visible gun and shot you before you could react. You just don't realize the extent of your injuries because you are in shock. If only you had been CC'ing instead none of this would have happened and your loved ones would not have to go to your funeral.... [/sarcasm]

Ok sorry, couldn't help it. Just thought I'd play the part of the CC only crowd that claims OC is not a deterrent.

Glad you were safe and maybe taught the punks a lesson.
    Rob Pincus, is that you?

Seriously, when I'm out and about at night, especially when I have to make a trip to Wally World, I very frequently see people like those two cruising the parking lot. Like OP, when they see what is on my hip, they suddenly remember an appointment elsewhere.

Fortunately, I've never had any approach as close as those two did.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Good outcome.

I imagine they assumed you were a cop, the very last thing they wanted when trying to solicit a crime.

Funny if you were CC'ing.. You would of most likely had the other guy behind you trying to rob you. Then you would of had to draw your weapon. Possibly killing someone... I think in a small way the hardcore CC only guys. Really, really want to use there gun on someone.. I don't ever want to shoot some one.. I will if I have to, but I would rather avoid that. Gratz on making it home..

This is precisely why I'm going to OC as soon as I hit 21 in February. I don't know why more females aren't in favor of it. I want a potential rapist/mugger/etc. see from a long way off that I'm not afraid of using any means necessary to protect myself or my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Martin View Post
    This is precisely why I'm going to OC as soon as I hit 21 in February. I don't know why more females aren't in favor of it. I want a potential rapist/mugger/etc. see from a long way off that I'm not afraid of using any means necessary to protect myself or my friends.
    If ever there was a poster for allowing OC at the earliest possible age, there ^ it is.

If 18 year olds are mature enough to be handed automatic weapons and a set of complicated Rules of Engagement then they ought to be considered mature enough to carry OC or CC. No, not just those 18-year olds who are in the military, but all of them. If nothing else, it would go a long way towards making Heinlien's most-often quoted lines a reality: "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Martin View Post
    Good for you Kim, "Welcome Aboard" and all that. Just remember, when you do start OCing, it's a big responsibility. Always keep aware of your surroundings. Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. And, you might have to alter some of your own behavior, to keep from getting into situations. Example: If you find yourself "flipping off" other drivers on occasion, keep in mind that you don't want to do anything that would cause a situation to escalate. Anyway, Good luck, glad you're here, and look forward to reading more from you.
    Last edited by hjmoosejaw; 09-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    watch your top knot !

beer

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    So.....which did you get?
    They were out of Magic Hat #9, (again), so I went the Sam Adams Black Lager, and the Octoberbest, and a six pack of Franzikaner Heife-Weizen and a splurge on ONE bottle of Delirium Tremens...(at 12 bucks a bottle...that's all I can afford!)...

yes...I like beer...but I am indecisive as hell....
    Murphy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Go back to sleep....Your Government will take care of you...."

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    They were out of Magic Hat #9, (again), so I went the Sam Adams Black Lager, and the Octoberbest, and a six pack of Franzikaner Heife-Weizen and a splurge on ONE bottle of Delirium Tremens...(at 12 bucks a bottle...that's all I can afford!)...

yes...I like beer...but I am indecisive as hell....
    Have you tried the killians irish red beer? I should also say glad there weren't any problems and everything ended well

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas A. View Post
    Have you tried the killians irish red beer? I should also say glad there weren't any problems and everything ended well
    Cheap beer? Really?

I like 21st Amendment beer(brewing?) when I can find it.
    I also tend to like pumpkin ales/beers though too.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

You sir are an idiot.

You should have let them encroach closer, closing the gap between you and them, firearm unseen. THEN, when they have elected to make a hostile movement and already committed to criminal action and activity, you could ninja-tactical-super-surprise whip your CONCEALED pistol out. Augment this by running sideways down the side of your truck, then backflipping off the tailgate, and if necessary firing rounds whilst upside down baring an enormous grimace complete with gritted teeth in a slo-mo fury of spent brass. Preferably, you should wear sight hindering sunglasses. (This will look really cool, like in The Matrix)

In no case was it better to send a message you were armed through visible confirmation of such. You could have had your pistol taken as he walked up, brazenly, and elected to do so. You would be surprised at the mind of criminals! They LOVE to walk up to mortal threats and challenge them in hand to hand combat and with death threats flying out of their criminally criminal mouths. At no point does threat assessment enter their mind during the planning phase of their criminal activities. In FACT, I am willing to wager that the reason he turned around was not because of your firearm, but because he clearly did not like the interior of your vehicle upon closer inspection. It may have been, and likely was, compounded by the FACT that he did not appreciate your make and model (or perhaps year!) of transportation. Clearly, he and his buddy would not have even MADE it to their friends house.

This is what you and your ilk do not understand.

Visibly carried means of defending ones self, especially when old, or perhaps a lightweight female, is a provocation to being beaten, robbed, or raped. Criminals see it is a challenge, and will not pass you up.

BUT, while you are being robbed, or raped, and the adrenaline is high to include potential tremoring and heightened awareness on behalf of the crime committing, FRET NOT!

Simply fiddle fart with your clothes/fanny-pack/purse whilst under duress and SURPRISE THAT NASTY BUGGER!

Heed my words of advice. Concealed carry makes more sense.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
    Last edited by slowfiveoh; 10-03-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

LMAO...SLOW, that was just plain old everyday funny. I thought you were beating on him for brandishing for awhile, but...Well, I've been lurking all over the silly boards today...Thanks for the laugh brother...(or sister)
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

OMG MALL NINJA
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    LMAO...SLOW, that was just plain old everyday funny. I thought you were beating on him for brandishing for awhile, but...Well, I've been lurking all over the silly boards today...Thanks for the laugh brother...(or sister)
    No problem!

We all need a good laugh now and then.
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

That post deserves and Internet high-five.

Quote Originally Posted by CO-Joe View Post
    That post deserves and Internet high-five.
    +1