• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC or not to OC

cteaglesfan

I am an active duty veteran, NRA and CCDL member. I am also a resident of our great city of New Haven :lol: I was one of those ignorant people who thought concealed carry was the law when I got my permit 7 years ago. Though I'm not a card carrying member of the OC movement, I would love to see where this goes in New Haven. There have been plenty of days when I've stepped out of my car or house with my shirt firmly tucked behind my gun and I didn't realize it until some time later. Though I would rarely open carry I would love not to have to do the 'right side shirt tug' every 30 seconds. Just not sure if OC in New Haven is such a wonderful idea for multiple reasons. 1) because i'm black, ignorant people who see me with a gun are going to panic 2) A lot of NH finest are young, and don't have more than a high school diploma, so they're going to think that they can stop everyone and question them. The one thing i've learned about NH police is, if you know more about the law than them, it's mistaken as apathy!!!

But I support the movement 100%. I guess rights are only right if we use them!!!!

CARRY ON!!!!!!!

Rich B

Nobody can or should tell you whether or not you should carry unconcealed. That is purely a personal decision.

You need to decide whether you have the proper knowledge of the law, the proper demeanor, what line in the sand you will draw, how far you will take it, and whether or not you have the disposable resources to pursue actions if something should occur.

You will get plenty of advice and answers to your questions here, but it would be ridiculous to expect anyone to know your personal situation. You need to make that choice yourself.

You have done the right first step though, and you should ask lots of questions and get up to speed on the laws and circumstances you are likely to encounter before making a decision.

cteaglesfan

Never heard of that ... "active duty vet" ... anyway, do both CC and OC ... why not? Do a Barney Fife .. don't put bullets in your OC.

I guess I use that term because 'veterans' are technically those who serve if active, reserve or otherwise. I guess I'm proud of the fact that I put on the uniform everyday for 4 years

cteaglesfan

Never heard of that ... "active duty vet" ... anyway, do both CC and OC ... why not? Do a Barney Fife .. don't put bullets in your OC.

Nobody can or should tell you whether or not you should carry unconcealed. That is purely a personal decision.

You need to decide whether you have the proper knowledge of the law, the proper demeanor, what line in the sand you will draw, how far you will take it, and whether or not you have the disposable resources to pursue actions if something should occur.

You will get plenty of advice and answers to your questions here, but it would be ridiculous to expect anyone to know your personal situation. You need to make that choice yourself.

You have done the right first step though, and you should ask lots of questions and get up to speed on the laws and circumstances you are likely to encounter before making a decision.

Good point Rich, I need to educate myself so at the very least no one can tell me what I can't do. Thanks guys

CARRY ON

Rich B

cteaglesfan

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/veteran

Former member ... expect new haven to hassle you much ... poor guy, what did you do to get that punishment lol of living in new haven

Born and raised, been here all my life other than the time I spent in the Army and school. I actually love this city good and bad. I've lived other places where things weren't as culturally diverse and it wasn't quite the same.

cteaglesfan

You should not 'expect' hassle anywhere in the state. You should be prepared if it does occur however.

I have walked all over downtown New Haven OCing and haven't had a problem except one rude cop impotently yelling from his car: http://withregardstorights.com/post...biding-citizen-openly-carrying-a-firearm.aspx

Rich, I listened to the audio on that and I thought it was well handled on your part. I know what I'm about to say isn't the most popular subject BUT my race is definitely a factor when it comes to some things, interactions with the police is one of them. It's truly a sad fact but it's real. I consider myself an American first, but as I'm constantly told by people my world and reality don't always see eye-to-eye :D

But as long I arm my self with my weapon AND knowledge, I don't have anything to worry about, right????

Rich B

But as long I arm my self with my weapon AND knowledge, I don't have anything to worry about, right????

Once again:

I can't tell you if you are prepared, trained or ready to be doing anything. I can answer many questions and assist you in getting the rest, as can most people here.

There is no law mandating concealment. That is a fact. People do get arrested from time to time for not concealing (it is pretty rare, but it does happen). That is also a fact.

Are you ready to take on the liabilities and stand firm wherever your line in the sand may be? I have no idea.

Are you prepared to take the steps necessary to put yourself into a good legal position should the need arise to fight something in court? I have no idea.

Are you prepared or willing to fight anything in court at all? I have no idea.

cteaglesfan

Once again:

I can't tell you if you are prepared, trained or ready to be doing anything. I can answer many questions and assist you in getting the rest, as can most people here.

There is no law mandating concealment. That is a fact. People do get arrested from time to time for not concealing (it is pretty rare, but it does happen). That is also a fact.

Are you ready to take on the liabilities and stand firm wherever your line in the sand may be? I have no idea.

Are you prepared to take the steps necessary to put yourself into a good legal position should the need arise to fight something in court? I have no idea.

Are you prepared or willing to fight anything in court at all? I have no idea.

Now THAT is food for thought!!!!!

cteaglesfan

And then there are some people who 'just don't conceal' and don't really care about fighting a case if someone infringes upon their rights.

To each their own. There are no guarantees in life, just preparation for random chances.

The only concern I have is if everyone has the attitude that I have 'Well its a battle worth fighting but I don't have the resources to fight it', they win!!!!

cteaglesfan

I don't see the state winning at all right now. Quite the opposite.

I agree. I also think that education is the key. Educating ourselves, those who enforce the laws, and especially the non-carrying citizens so they know that open carry is legal in CT so they won't be so quick to call 911 when they see someone carrying a fire arm.

cteaglesfan

Though i'm not sure if non-carrying citizens calling 911 has to do with lack of education or just a disagreement with our right to carry openly or concealed.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Rich, I listened to the audio on that and I thought it was well handled on your part. I know what I'm about to say isn't the most popular subject BUT my race is definitely a factor when it comes to some things, interactions with the police is one of them. It's truly a sad fact but it's real. I consider myself an American first, but as I'm constantly told by people my world and reality don't always see eye-to-eye :D

Rich is highly experienced in such encounters (unfortunately). A good example of how to carry and deal with police. I think he has been arrested once or twice for bogus charges and I think he has filed federal case(s) in the past, although I cannot recall the outcome of the cases or they may still be pending.

cteaglesfan

Rich is highly experienced in such encounters (unfortunately). A good example of how to carry and deal with police. I think he has been arrested once or twice for bogus charges and I think he has filed federal case(s) in the past, although I cannot recall the outcome of the cases or they may still be pending.

I've had a few encounters with police in my life and the one thing i've learned is tone and attitude are important. As much as I believe in escalating levels of force, I have to remain calm even when the cop is being unreasonable. But I LOVE the idea of recording the encounters. I downloaded an app for my phone to record any encounters with police OC or otherwise.

I'm not sure if this is a 'wimp' move or not but I believe there is safety in numbers, so if you guys hear of any organized open carry events in CT any time in the near futur, please feel free to post on this forum i'd LOVE to attend one.