Thread: VA through DC & MD Transportation

VA through DC & MD Transportation

I know this isn't the "exact" place for this thread, but I'm hoping some fellow VA Members have had a similar predicament.

I currently live in Alexandria, but I am originally from Delaware and plan to make a visit later this week. Sounds simple enough until you figure in the M&P40 and the M&P15 Tactical I plan to take with me.. Outside of the unloaded and stored separately in the back of the vehicle (SUV) bit, do I completely avoid DC and take the outer-loop through Maryland? Or is the way I plan to transport "okay" for DC?

I have no idea how to get past that big brick wall of gun control that's in my way, lol.

VA through DC & MD Transportation

Go around DC. They will screw you over regardless of what laws are in place. I live in Alexandria as well and try to avoid even driving into that corruption at every chance.

FOPA (Firearm Owners Protection Act) supposedly will cover you through DC. Do not make any unnecessary stops. Same applies to Merryland.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Not sure which way you are planning, but if you take 495 toward the north You miss DC altogether. and south you barely touch DC on the WW bridge. As has been said FOPA should cover you.

But like so many other things, FOPA only means that you win eventually, and if you spend a lot of money. That's why our own Morgan Griffith is trying to get a new version passed with bigger teeth. Probably won't happen any time soon though.

If it were me, I would personally avoid DC at all cost. And I wouldn't feel too much more comfortable about Maryland, but there is simply no reasonable way to get from Virginia to Delaware without going through Maryland. Even if you go through Virginia Beach and up through the Eastern Shore, there are still a few Maryland miles to endure.

TFred

PS: On a good note, the bill now has 51 cosponsors!
    Last edited by TFred; 09-24-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks all.

I think we're just gonna avoid DC all together. I don't particularly like being in DC if I don't have to be as well.

Going over the WW Bridge...you'll have about 200 feet in DC going to DE...and roughly 400 feet in DC coming back home.

How else would you go around?
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Going over the WW Bridge...you'll have about 200 feet in DC going to DE...and roughly 400 feet in DC coming back home.

How else would you go around?
    Take the beltway the OTHER way around, crossing the Cabin John Bridge into MD.

The GW Parkway on Columbia Island is in DC for about a mile or so. Less exposure to DC going across WW bridge. By agreement, DC Fire and MPD only covers the river and MD LE responds to incidents on the bridge itself.

see map attached
    Last edited by swinokur; 09-25-2012 at 06:29 AM.

My answer would be based upon whether you want to be an activist or just somebody trying to avoid potential problems.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    My answer would be based upon whether you want to be an activist or just somebody trying to avoid potential problems.
    We may have reached the point where real activists need to get below the radar to work, Thundar.

Go any way you wish.
    Follow the law, make sure you have nothing that will garner LE attention and be on your way. If asked the anwser is no you may not search me or my vehicle!

If you are really worried, you know you can legally ship firearms to yourself in another state.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...-firearms-usps
    Last edited by Marco; 10-03-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

All went well.. Thanks again people.

We took the WW Bridge way out of VA. Ran in to no issues on the way up. I mean we're law abiding citizens and what not, transporting properly. I wasn't asking because I'm a reckless/troublesome individual, just wasn't too familiar with transport methods having a brick wall of liberalism, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    We may have reached the point where real activists need to get below the radar to work, Thundar.
    Peter, I think I understand what you mean. By real activists you exclude the P4P lollygaggers, yes?

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Originally Posted by peter nap
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Peter, I think I understand what you mean. By real activists you exclude the P4P lollygaggers, yes?

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    We all need to work together for the common cause.

Think that Peter refers to rolling up our sleeves and playing the game according to the rules of the trade. Politics can be a game, a serious game. It involves many unwritten rules and techniques - some "below the radar. Think "backroom" and friendships born of convenience/necessity. Back scratching has existed forever.

When raiding the hen house, it's advantageous to give the appearance of "nobody here but us chickens" until the meal is finished, if at all.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    We all need to work together for the common cause.

Think that Peter refers to rolling up our sleeves and playing the game according to the rules of the trade. Politics can be a game, a serious game. It involves many unwritten rules and techniques - some "below the radar. Think "backroom" and friendships born of convenience/necessity. Back scratching has existed forever.

When raiding the hen house, it's advantageous to give the appearance of "nobody here but us chickens" until the meal is finished, if at all.
    Are we talking executive, legislative or judicial politics?

Founder's Club Member
    Just comply with federal law and have it unloaded and in the trunk or container in the back of your SUV. Don't make any unnecessary stops, which means you might want to leave VA with a full tank of gas. And don't drive like an idiot.

And if you do get stopped, be nice, smile, say "sir" or "maam" as appropriate and under no circumstances voluntarily allow them to seach your vehicle. Act normal.

I've driven thru DC and MD as described above many times.

A freind, not a member here, recently went through MD. He was most comfortable with diassembling his PPD (personal protection device!)
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jegoodin View Post
    Just comply with federal law and have it unloaded and in the trunk or container in the back of your SUV. Don't make any unnecessary stops, which means you might want to leave VA with a full tank of gas. And don't drive like an idiot.

And if you do get stopped, be nice, smile, say "sir" or "maam" as appropriate and under no circumstances voluntarily allow them to seach your vehicle. Act normal.

I've driven thru DC and MD as described above many times.
    What you just said is perfectly true. It's also a really sad commentary on what this country has become.

I can imagine the same paragraph being in the Mexican Drug Smugglers Handbook.