• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA through DC & MD Transportation

wootizzle

I know this isn't the "exact" place for this thread, but I'm hoping some fellow VA Members have had a similar predicament.

I currently live in Alexandria, but I am originally from Delaware and plan to make a visit later this week. Sounds simple enough until you figure in the M&P40 and the M&P15 Tactical I plan to take with me.. Outside of the unloaded and stored separately in the back of the vehicle (SUV) bit, do I completely avoid DC and take the outer-loop through Maryland? Or is the way I plan to transport "okay" for DC?

I have no idea how to get past that big brick wall of gun control that's in my way, lol.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
FOPA (Firearm Owners Protection Act) supposedly will cover you through DC. Do not make any unnecessary stops. Same applies to Merryland.

stay safe.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Not sure which way you are planning, but if you take 495 toward the north You miss DC altogether. and south you barely touch DC on the WW bridge. As has been said FOPA should cover you.

TFred

But like so many other things, FOPA only means that you win eventually, and if you spend a lot of money. That's why our own Morgan Griffith is trying to get a new version passed with bigger teeth. Probably won't happen any time soon though.

If it were me, I would personally avoid DC at all cost. And I wouldn't feel too much more comfortable about Maryland, but there is simply no reasonable way to get from Virginia to Delaware without going through Maryland. Even if you go through Virginia Beach and up through the Eastern Shore, there are still a few Maryland miles to endure.

TFred

PS: On a good note, the bill now has 51 cosponsors!

Last edited:

wootizzle

Thanks all.

I think we're just gonna avoid DC all together. I don't particularly like being in DC if I don't have to be as well. :eek:

swinokur

Activist Member
The GW Parkway on Columbia Island is in DC for about a mile or so. Less exposure to DC going across WW bridge. By agreement, DC Fire and MPD only covers the river and MD LE responds to incidents on the bridge itself.

see map attached

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My answer would be based upon whether you want to be an activist or just somebody trying to avoid potential problems.

We may have reached the point where real activists need to get below the radar to work, Thundar.

wootizzle

All went well.. Thanks again people.

We took the WW Bridge way out of VA. Ran in to no issues on the way up. I mean we're law abiding citizens and what not, transporting properly. I wasn't asking because I'm a reckless/troublesome individual, just wasn't too familiar with transport methods having a brick wall of liberalism, lol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap
We may have reached the point where real activists need to get below the radar to work, Thundar.
:shocker:peter, I think I understand what you mean. By real activists you exclude the P4P lollygaggers, yes?

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

We all need to work together for the common cause.

Think that Peter refers to rolling up our sleeves and playing the game according to the rules of the trade. Politics can be a game, a serious game. It involves many unwritten rules and techniques - some "below the radar. Think "backroom" and friendships born of convenience/necessity. Back scratching has existed forever.

When raiding the hen house, it's advantageous to give the appearance of "nobody here but us chickens" until the meal is finished, if at all.

Thundar

We all need to work together for the common cause.

Think that Peter refers to rolling up our sleeves and playing the game according to the rules of the trade. Politics can be a game, a serious game. It involves many unwritten rules and techniques - some "below the radar. Think "backroom" and friendships born of convenience/necessity. Back scratching has existed forever.

When raiding the hen house, it's advantageous to give the appearance of "nobody here but us chickens" until the meal is finished, if at all.

Are we talking executive, legislative or judicial politics?

jegoodin

Just comply with federal law and have it unloaded and in the trunk or container in the back of your SUV. Don't make any unnecessary stops, which means you might want to leave VA with a full tank of gas. And don't drive like an idiot.

And if you do get stopped, be nice, smile, say "sir" or "maam" as appropriate and under no circumstances voluntarily allow them to seach your vehicle. Act normal.

I've driven thru DC and MD as described above many times.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just comply with federal law and have it unloaded and in the trunk or container in the back of your SUV. Don't make any unnecessary stops, which means you might want to leave VA with a full tank of gas. And don't drive like an idiot.

And if you do get stopped, be nice, smile, say "sir" or "maam" as appropriate and under no circumstances voluntarily allow them to seach your vehicle. Act normal.

I've driven thru DC and MD as described above many times.

What you just said is perfectly true. It's also a really sad commentary on what this country has become.

I can imagine the same paragraph being in the Mexican Drug Smugglers Handbook.