• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overland park passes open carry!!! Vote 11-1

justin0629

For Me To Know and You To Not Find Out, United Sta
Iv read the stuff on other post and I think im just confusing my self by rereading it. I know on the missouri side it's a bit easyier to open carry bc of the CC in the car but Ks on the other hand does not let you with out a permit.

So do you need a permit to open carry OUT SIDE of your car in OP Ks?

Ks. Is going in the right direction wile missouri citys are banning it...ugh

VinnAY

reading the facebook comments on the KSHB page there's alot of scared sheeple over a holstered gun. I kinda want to troll on down to OP and just OC for the heck of it now.:monkey

aadvark

To ALL Whom are Concerned:

The Overland Park Ordinance Purports to make it a Crime to Carry a Firearm into a Public Building.

..., that is also Preempted under Kansas Law, and is, therefore; Partially Unenforceable as well.

The Trouble is, under Kansas Law Chapter 75c, Kansas HEAVILY Regulates Concealed Carry in Public Buildings, but does NOT Regulate Open Carry in most of those Buildings.

Under Kansas Law, 12-16, 124(a)(3), Local Governments may Ban Firearms, whether Openly or Concealed, while Actually Inside any: Jail, Prison, Courtroom, Courthouse, Juvenile Detention Facility, or City Hall, BUT Those Restrictions ONLY Apply to those Specific Buildings ONLY when They are so Enacted by The Local Governmental Unit in Question.

However, NONE of Those Restrictions Apply to, or Effect, in any Manner, The Open Carrying of a Firearm into any OTHER Building within The Unit.

aadvark

TJJ

Iv read the stuff on other post and I think im just confusing my self by rereading it. I know on the missouri side it's a bit easyier to open carry bc of the CC in the car but Ks on the other hand does not let you with out a permit.

So do you need a permit to open carry OUT SIDE of your car in OP Ks?

Ks. Is going in the right direction wile missouri citys are banning it...ugh

Kansas is weird about carrying in the vehicle. For the most part, open carry with a loaded weapon in plain view is ok... but individual cities and counties can have different ordinances. The most any Kansas county or city can regulate in a vehicle is unloaded, in a completely enclosed case (bag with zipper, backpack, etc). As for what Kansas' definition of "loaded" is, I can't find anything in the statutes, and the Kansas AG Derek Schmidt has even said there is no definition. So is "loaded" considered a chambered round or just a mag in the gun?

And no, no permit is required to open carry outside of your car in OP. The issue now becomes to figure out what OP allows inside the vehicle. It'll be a pain to have to unload the weapon every time you get in your car. And then you might run into the thin line legalities of if you pull your weapon out of the holster right before getting into the vehicle to unload, you'd have drawn your weapon in public. But on the other hand if you get into your vehicle with a loaded weapon, you might be breaking the transportation ordinance, although I've heard it argued that a non moving car would not qualify as "transporting the firearm". I dunno. More info on what OP allows in the vehicle needs to be clarified.

Oh, and I'm brand new to this forum. Don't even own yet, but over the last few weeks have decided it's something I'm going to start exercising. Plan on buying in the next couple of months.:D

DWCook

Activist Member
Considering how dirty some political/leaders can be, I'm interested to see if they will try to fight this. I'm happy as hell that Overland Park is now open carry legal! Now I just have to wait for Lenexa to jump on the bandwagon so where I am at most of the time, I can open carry. Glad that we are slowly but surely gaining our rights back and these retarded laws are going away.

DWCook

Activist Member
I bet there is going to be another law passed to restrict the open carry in overland park, as in so many feet etc. Not to restrict of being able to open carry, but to make it almost impossible because of the idiots who are against guns in general. It doesn't make any sense when I listen to some, " I am all for carrying, but I do not want them in a public environment". Had a lady tell me this, so basically to her that means no guns carried any where.

Also this whole crying about not having to have any training required for firearm purchase, suck it up. If they're so worried, why don't they push a law stating people are required to attend a training course before being allowed to purchase a firearm? I never understood why these city officials and political morons that are against having more freedoms with firearms cry so much and make a scene. Yet the most they do is make laws the violate our rights as gun owners.

Also keep in mind, this doesn't change the fact that if your carrying your firearm in your car you still need a CCW. Carrying a loaded firearm in "Kansas" is considered concealed in a vehicle. So you will still need your CCW or get one in order to not get screwed by the law.

I understand in Kansas City, Missouri you may carry a loaded firearm in your car without a permit "Correct me if I'm wrong". Also obviously you can open carry in Kansas City, Missouri.

Last edited:

sha-ul

For all those who have posted above that are concerned with the loop holes& making sure that open carry, once again legal in OP, stays that way, Open your check book, pull out a few green backs go here. http://www.ksraweb.com/membership.html and join. Call them, or write and ask they lobby for FULL preemption. I have a feeling it is on the list, but a surge of new members, asking for this, especially with a new session starting soon, may go far. They already have the lobbying organization in place, have the contacts, and have been working to elect much more pro-freedom state senators& reps.