Thread: Lawsuit Update

Lawsuit Update

All,

My trial is still scheduled for Jan 20th. We've just completed the depositions of the primary responding officers, Capt, and Sherrif of Lincoln County. Pretty incredible (in a bad way) stuff in there and I'll release more as my lawyer authorizes it.

I travel to Cheyenne this weekend for my deposition with their attorneys.

Here's the article from my AP reporter interview yesterday.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...c-stop-092412/

Notice the officer admits to threatening lethal force...

Bizarre, sounds like he got into the wrong business. Good luck!

Let us know if there is anything we can do, I live in Idaho. What side of Wyoming is this again? If it is the west side it might be worth a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Let us know if there is anything we can do, I live in Idaho. What side of Wyoming is this again? If it is the west side it might be worth a drive.
    The stop was in Alpine, WY and the court is in Cheyenne.

Banned
    Don't forget to post the deps when you get them

my safety is paramount .. blah blah blah ... the world will keep on revolving without you deputy dog.

And the fact the OP is a vet has no bearing on this -- its just color for the story.

Did the cop at least pass high school?

Quote Originally Posted by marinepilot81 View Post
    ...Pretty incredible (in a bad way) stuff in there and I'll release more as my lawyer authorizes it...
    Thanks for the update.

Incredible stuff (in a bad way) for you or him?

edited to add: (from the linked story)

The police officer: "said in the sworn statement that he had been trained to put his personal safety above the rights of a citizen openly carrying a handgun.

You said "(you're seeking an acknowledgement) that the purpose of government is not officer safety but the protection of peoples’ lives, liberty and property"

Right on.
    Last edited by BB62; 09-25-2012 at 02:52 PM.

For some reason I just keep thinking of the RAMBO movie. A vet just traveling down the road gets abused by a enlarged cops ego.

Another Site

It's also posted here if you prefer local:

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regio...45c76aa88.html

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    I hope you keep us posted...good or bad. Very interested in the outcome of your case. I assume your trial is a bench trial?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I hope you keep us posted...good or bad. Very interested in the outcome of your case. I assume your trial is a bench trial?
    Yes, sir! A jury of Wyoming's finest!

Yes, sir! A jury of Wyoming's finest!
    The news paper articles you provided already shows the dis-honest statements of the LEO's. They state that they detained you "because you refused to let them know if you had a gun or not"...... I have heard from your recording, from their mouth as well as your own words that you NEVER said that. You only refused a general search. If I know that sitting all the way over here in Owingsville, Kentucky (don't feel bad, not many people have a clue where that is either) they should know that too. I wish you the best of luck and hope you f**k them up. By the way, even if you had a "concealed permit" (the names of these permits vary state to state) with your gun concealed and you refused a search based on their lack of RAS or PC, the 4th protects you from illegal search and seizure!!!! You know that. I know that. It's a damn shame that they don't know/care about that.... From one "we the people" kinda man to another, thank you for standing up for our rights.

On a side note. The day I listened to your recording of this illegal detainment, I went out that day and bought my own recorder. I believe that act of you recording this incident will make your case a slam dunk..
    Last edited by self preservation; 09-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Also made the Miami Herald (same article as above).

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/2...g-traffic.html

Banned
    You heard him: a bench trial of his peers !

Founder's Club Member
    "A Wyoming sheriff’s deputy who detained a combat veteran in handcuffs for openly carrying a pistol offered to let him go if he agreed to let another deputy draw his weapon and shoot if the veteran made any sudden moves while driving away, court records show."

"Bassett told Pierson’s attorney, Gary Ferguson, that he detained Pierson because Pierson wouldn’t tell him whether he had a gun."

So... If it was openly carried why would the cop need to be told about the gun? Didn't he see it, which is what started all this in the first place? Am I missing something?

n.

sigh...

I'm an idiot.

I'm an idiot.
    Judge..Jury....No matter as long as you get justice.

n.

Banned
    I'm an idiot.
    Don't beat yourself up....you're in the mens department of the navy, right?

Cheer up .. maybe some day you'll be able to join the USAF...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Don't beat yourself up....you're in the mens department of the navy, right?

Cheer up .. maybe some day you'll be able to join the USAF...
    God willing.

A lot of guys on here preach the ole 42USC1983 suit.... So I have to ask, are you filing a 42USC1983 suit in your case? I only ask because even though it is mentioned on OCDO a lot, due to the lack of success of the 1983 suit, I have little to no faith in it as far as the 2A is concerned.

n.

Banned
    Your story has spread all over this country. Many forums, from political to guns to vehicles are discussing it.

Kudos to you Sir!

Semper Fi

I always thought combat aviators like you, and me back in the day, didn't put "coming home safely at night" at the top of the list. Gutless cops clearly aren't in our segment of society. I hope you nail these pos thugs to the wall.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I always thought combat aviators like you, and me back in the day, didn't put "coming home safely at night" at the top of the list. Gutless cops clearly aren't in our segment of society. I hope you nail these pos thugs to the wall.
    Now now, cops are civilians. Their safety is more important than any mission... they will not storm a hill or do other such actions that I would expect a soldier to do or do what I did when I was in the service because of the danger and risk of death associated with the performance of a military man's job duties.

Not "gutless" its just different ...

Cops have little authority over that which other civilians have; anyone can arrest folks....its just that the state backs up cops $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    Your story has spread all over this country. Many forums, from political to guns to vehicles are discussing it.

Kudos to you Sir!

Semper Fi
    Here's the one from Arfcom: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/137...ffic_stop.html

Unfortunately, about half the posters are OCFs* and think the OP is an *******.

* OC Fudd: A person who "strongly" supports the 2nd Amendment, as long as you only carry his way (i.e. concealed).