• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gary Johnson's running mate in Spokane

dwordinger

Vice Presidential candidate, Judge Jim Gray will be in Spokane on October 1 and 2. On Monday, 1 October, he will be at Spokane Events and Catering, 10512 E Sprague Avenue, Spokane Valley, WA 99206. From 1900 to 2100, he ill give a presentation, answer questions, and shake hands. We will have coffee and water, and some cookies to munch on. There is a bar in the event room, but everyone will have to buy their own. Obama says this ethanol doesn't qualify for his subsidy.

I have open carried in this facility before and was carrying when I met with the owner to coordinate this event. I'll be carrying Monday evening. Who wants to join me?

Tuesday, 2 October from 1100 to 1300 he will be doing the same thing at the EWU PUB Mall in Cheney. I open carried there last Sunday.

Before anyone gets offended and says this forum is about carrying handguns, not politics, I say you can't carry a handgun if they have all been taken away. The Republicans had to look long and hard to find someone more anti-gun-rights than McCain, but they found him. Governor Johnson and Judge Gray are offering you a choice. Take it.

Alpine

Vice Presidential candidate, Judge Jim Gray will be in Spokane on October 1 and 2. On Monday, 1 October, he will be at Spokane Events and Catering, 10512 E Sprague Avenue, Spokane Valley, WA 99206. From 1900 to 2100, he ill give a presentation, answer questions, and shake hands. We will have coffee and water, and some cookies to munch on. There is a bar in the event room, but everyone will have to buy their own. Obama says this ethanol doesn't qualify for his subsidy.

I have open carried in this facility before and was carrying when I met with the owner to coordinate this event. I'll be carrying Monday evening. Who wants to join me?

Tuesday, 2 October from 1100 to 1300 he will be doing the same thing at the EWU PUB Mall in Cheney. I open carried there last Sunday.

Before anyone gets offended and says this forum is about carrying handguns, not politics, I say you can't carry a handgun if they have all been taken away. The Republicans had to look long and hard to find someone more anti-gun-rights than McCain, but they found him. Governor Johnson and Judge Gray are offering you a choice. Take it.

I'd be there but I'm over in the Puget Sound area.

And I think this is perfectly acceptable to post, thanks for sharing it. I have sent out some communications to the McKenna and Inslee campaigns asking them where they stand on OC, state pre-emption and how they'd plan to react to any attempts to change law in the next session by Seattle/Bellingham and other anti municipalities lobbying to restrict gun rights in the state. When I get some written responses I'll post them up. FYI, both campaigns have said they support current state law as it is, but we'll see if they're willing to put it in writing.

EtdBob

Don’t reckon I’ll go, but I vote Libertarian or not at all, and have done so for a good many years.
I voted for Ron Paul the first time, on the Libertarian ticket of 1988!

Tawnos

You just keep telling yourself that.

He's beating that drum pretty hard from the quotes I've seen. For some reason, he doesn't get that a person voting for Johnson wouldn't choose Romney as their next choice. I'd abstain from voting before voting for Romney, because I don't vote against candidates.

Vigil

He's beating that drum pretty hard from the quotes I've seen. For some reason, he doesn't get that a person voting for Johnson wouldn't choose Romney as their next choice. I'd abstain from voting before voting for Romney, because I don't vote against candidates.

But is he entirely incorrect? Libertarians lean more towards the Republican message (message, not necessarily action) than the Democrat platform. As a 'soft' Libertarian myself, I see the Republican Party as people who suck at doing the right thing, whereas I see the Democratic Party as people who deliberately do the wrong thing. I think Johnson will pull from both candidates, but will pull more votes from Romney than Obama.

I will be voting for Romney. I have nothing against people who vote for Johnson. I just don't think it is practical at this stage. I think if we want a Libertarian-minded government, we should focus our efforts more on changing our culture than electing Libertarian candidates. It's a fact that Gary Johnson will not win. It's a fact that third party candidates pull from the other two parties. If we accept that he will pull more votes from Romney than Obama, then we are subtracting votes from Romney, and thus assuring Obama's victory.

I don't think our country is ready for libertarianism (made-up word?). It took about a century to get us to the state we are in now. We need to start moving ourselves back as a culture before we try to elect a full on libertarian like Gary Johnson.

*hides from flames*

twoskinsonemanns

He's beating that drum pretty hard from the quotes I've seen.

Hey it takes a lot of self-convincing to justify something so distasteful as choosing a flip flopping, gun grabbing, scumbag for president.

Libertarians lean more towards the Republican message (message, not necessarily action) than the Democrat platform.

Not true. Each team claims the freedom party steals their votes. But the truth is both parties are pretty even when it comes to rights stealing IMO.

Vitaeus

In my opinion, this is the perfect time to vote a 3rd party candidate. Neither two paery candidate is going to do anything different except, select a different set of folks to pay off with bail-outs or new rules. Left hand or right hand doesn't matter when they are both attached to the same rotting corpse.

edit:Scratch doing a write-in, it is basically a blank vote, guess I get to decide whether I can stomach voting for Johnson/Gray or not

RCW 29A.60.021
Write-in voting — declaration of candidacy — counting of vote.

(1) For any office, except precinct committee officer, at any election or primary, any voter may write in on the ballot the name of any person for an office who has filed as a write-in candidate for the office in the manner provided by RCW 29A.24.311 and such vote shall be counted the same as if the name had been printed on the ballot and marked by the voter. No write-in vote made for any person who has not filed a declaration of candidacy pursuant to RCW 29A.24.311 is valid if that person filed for the same office, either as a regular candidate or a write-in candidate, at the preceding primary. Any abbreviation used to designate office or position will be accepted if the canvassing board can determine, to its satisfaction, the voter's intent.

(2) The number of write-in votes cast for each office must be recorded and reported with the canvass for the election.

(3) A write-in vote for an individual candidate for an office whose name appears on the ballot for that same office is a valid vote for that candidate as long as the candidate's name is clearly discernible, even if other requirements of RCW 29A.24.311 are not satisfied and even if the voter also marked a vote for that candidate such as to register an overvote. These votes need not be tabulated unless: (a) The difference between the number of votes cast for the candidate apparently qualified to appear on the general election ballot or elected and the candidate receiving the next highest number of votes is less than the sum of the total number of write-in votes cast for the office plus the overvotes and undervotes recorded by the vote tabulating system; or (b) a manual recount is conducted for that office.

(4) Write-in votes cast for an individual candidate for an office whose name does not appear on the ballot need not be tallied unless the total number of write-in votes and undervotes recorded by the vote tabulation system for the office is greater than the number of votes cast for the candidate apparently qualified to appear on the general election ballot or elected.

(5) In the case of write-in votes for a statewide office or any office whose jurisdiction encompasses more than one county, write-in votes for an individual candidate must be tallied when the county auditor is notified by either the secretary of state or another county auditor in the multicounty jurisdiction that it appears that the write-in votes must be tabulated under the terms of this section. In all other cases, the county auditor determines when write-in votes must be tabulated. Any abstract of votes must be modified to reflect the tabulation and certified by the canvassing board. Tabulation of write-in votes may be performed simultaneously with a recount.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Like it or not,

Since 1972 how many electoral votes have been cast for a libertarian? 1
Since 1972 how many seats in the U.S. House of Representatives 0
Since 1972 how many seats in the U.S. Senate results 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Party_(United_States)

Essentially a vote cast for any other then someone having a chance to win, is just throwing away vote and vote for the status quo, Obama.

Don't hate the messenger, hate the game. :D

Alpine

If enough people vote Libertarian eventually they will qualify for federal matching funds, and if the Supreme Court ever strikes down public law 62-5, which violates the 14th amendment by making voters in Wyoming get more representation than voters in California and doesn't allow for net growth since tiny states can never lose their last Representative, then the house of reps will be suddenly and catastrophically unlocked from 425 to something like 1500+ and hopefully the two mainstream parties won't be able to lock up all those seats. It would be the legitimate entrance of 3rd parties into congress and into the presidential race. Of course, there's always the fear that SCOTUS will say "well, it's unconstitutional but due to the vague and implied separation of powers we will let the legislature regulate itself even if its illegal." Hope it doesn't come to that though.
As residents of WA you are all harmed by public law 62-5 and all have recourse to sue the government over it.

So vote for your gun-rights and be proud of it I say.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Like it or not,

Since 1972 how many electoral votes have been cast for a libertarian? 1
Since 1972 how many seats in the U.S. House of Representatives 0
Since 1972 how many seats in the U.S. Senate results 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Party_(United_States)

Essentially a vote cast for any other then someone having a chance to win, is just throwing away vote and vote for the status quo, Obama.

If you really didn't vote for someone if they didn't have a chance you wouldn't vote for Romney. He doesn't have a prayer. I haven't seen a single poll he was leading in.

A vote for Romney is a wasted vote. It's a white flag of surrender. It's giving up.

Tawnos

But is he entirely incorrect? Libertarians lean more towards the Republican message (message, not necessarily action) than the Democrat platform. As a 'soft' Libertarian myself, I see the Republican Party as people who suck at doing the right thing, whereas I see the Democratic Party as people who deliberately do the wrong thing. I think Johnson will pull from both candidates, but will pull more votes from Romney than Obama.

I will be voting for Romney. I have nothing against people who vote for Johnson. I just don't think it is practical at this stage. I think if we want a Libertarian-minded government, we should focus our efforts more on changing our culture than electing Libertarian candidates. It's a fact that Gary Johnson will not win. It's a fact that third party candidates pull from the other two parties. If we accept that he will pull more votes from Romney than Obama, then we are subtracting votes from Romney, and thus assuring Obama's victory.

I don't think our country is ready for libertarianism (made-up word?). It took about a century to get us to the state we are in now. We need to start moving ourselves back as a culture before we try to elect a full on libertarian like Gary Johnson.

*hides from flames*

Eh, no need to flame. Romney is a terrible candidate, who would institute authoritarian policy under the guise of his version of moral good and would sign any law that he thought would earn him political points. Obama is merely a bad candidate, who backs out on some of his more extreme views (in both directions, for better or worse) in order to maintain a more moderate platform. Johnson is an honest candidate worth my vote, so he gets it.

I'm hoping we can eventually get parts of this country, then the whole thing, to move to IRV or similar and eliminate this first past the pole nonsense.

ATM

Campaign Veteran

Enough people putting off that which is required until the odds of success seem favorable to them only serves to ensure that the odds will remain unfavorable and postpone that which is required from being accomplished.

I don't hate messengers, but I am somewhat ashamed of those who recognize the problem yet still resign themselves to supporting and perpetuating it.

All the status quo demands is a lack of bravery from those who recognize the problem. There are plenty enough, it seems, to keep things as they are.

hermannr

In Canada the progressive Consevative (your main steam progressive republician equiv) sho themselves in the foot and pretty much died as a party. Then the Liberals (democrat equiv) got in and the electorate figured out the PC and the Libs were basicly the same...the PC no longer exists as a party..several conservative parties joined forces (would be like the ron Paul republicians, the constitutional party and the libertarians, they call themselves "conservative" again but not "progressive conservative" and have been elected to run Canada. One of the first things they did was revoke the stupid long gun registartion program...BTW: anybody noticed what the Canadian dollar has been doing against the US dollar lately? The market likes this new party.

My Wife and I will be voting for Gary Jophnson personally. I would really like Gary to win WA...don't know if it is possible, but like Ross P. back a few years ago,,,it is not impossible as Gary will take votes from both the democrats and teh republocrats...I'm soory, I do not trust Mitt or OB.

sudden valley gunner

Dave are there any more plans for them coming to the wet side? I have been super busy but will make time if they make it this way again.

I laugh at those who vote "against" a candidate. That's how Hitler one. I won't vote for a Hitler over a Stalin.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Dave are there any more plans for them coming to the wet side? I have been super busy but will make time if they make it this way again.

I laugh at those who vote "against" a candidate. That's how Hitler one. I won't vote for a Hitler over a Stalin.

When it is all said and done we will be left with one of the two in office and voting for someone at this stage that does not have a chance to be a challenger is just wasteful.
I am not suggesting that others support they believe in but at least be in the game with players that have a chance. If you are siding with Libertarian then work on getting them into local office, state, house or senate as the record thus far is not worth mentioning.

Jeff Hayes

The Free Staters have the right idea but that is not working out so well either.

Nothing will change until enough people decide to make it change. Right now we have about 28% hard core Democrats and about an equal number of Republicans. That other 44-45% are independents that are looking for an alternative that unfortunately is not here yet. All the Independents need is a leader that can capture their interest sorta like Jessie Ventura did several years ago when he became Governor. As much as I like Johnson he can not win and that is unfortunate.