• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity

SSG Riser1981

I have heard from different sources that citizens with a CCW from another state that is accepted by OK are able to open carry in OK. Is this true? I am an active duty Soldier with a valid CCW from WA, can I open carry here? If so where can I find it at so I can print it out just in case? Also I know this doesnt happen till 1 NOV 2012 just getting everything in order first

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
You were told correctly. Oklahoma accepts any valid permit from any other state as their own, and in addition, recognizes ID from Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, and Wyoming, since those states don't require a permit.

Our law after Nov 1 will allow any licensed person to carry "concealed or unconcealed".

The only caveat is that if you are no longer a resident of the state where you got your license, that license may or may not remain valid, depending on the rules of the issuing state. However, I'm pretty sure that being active duty military here in Oklahoma means that you are lawfully still a resident of your home state.

I'm not a lawyer, BTW.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

You were told correctly. Oklahoma accepts any valid permit from any other state as their own, and in addition, recognizes ID from Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, and Wyoming, since those states don't require a permit.

Our law after Nov 1 will allow any licensed person to carry "concealed or unconcealed".

The only caveat is that if you are no longer a resident of the state where you got your license, that license may or may not remain valid, depending on the rules of the issuing state. However, I'm pretty sure that being active duty military here in Oklahoma means that you are lawfully still a resident of your home state.

I'm not a lawyer, BTW.

In the OP's case, WA does issue non-res permits so he is good to go there.

This law effective Nov 1...is that 1785?

hrdware

1785 is the one that will allow residents from Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming, and Vermont to carry concealed with just their drivers license. I do not know yet if it will also allow them to carry open. I think the intent is 'Yes' but since this was drafted and passed purely on the concealed carry side of things, I do not know how they will work it in with the open carry changes.

Basically we had 2 bills that both modified the same section of code for different reasons....have to see what the final outcome is.

mrjam2jab

Oklahoma SB 1733 is the one I am referring to that authorizes licensed open carry effective November 1.

Link to bill as signed by Governor Fallin (in .doc format)

Ok now I got it....

1785 is the one that will allow residents from Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming, and Vermont to carry concealed with just their drivers license. I do not know yet if it will also allow them to carry open. I think the intent is 'Yes' but since this was drafted and passed purely on the concealed carry side of things, I do not know how they will work it in with the open carry changes.

Basically we had 2 bills that both modified the same section of code for different reasons....have to see what the final outcome is.

Was the one that I had record of...and it specifies Concealed carry.

hrdware

Was the one that I had record of...and it specifies Concealed carry.

While it specifies concealed carry, 1733 modified a portion of that same code so that people from states that have a permit for concealed carry will be able to open carry in OK. Since both bills modified the same section of code in different ways, I don't know the legislative process it has to go through to get the 2 versions merged together.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Good catch, Wes. I stand corrected on the specifics. However, I feel pretty confident that the intent of the legislature was to allow OC for those people, as well... however, I don't exactly know what the relevant sections of Title 21 are going to say when it's all said and done.

Bullbuster

Your not alone when it comes to being military having another states permit and being stationed her. I have a VA permit from when I was stationed in Norfolk. It can be tricky as I'm also a WA resident and have a WA deivers license. All you need to do is contact the office that issued you your permit and tell them your active duty and have PCSd and they may charge you a small fee to issue you a non resident permit. Cost me $10 to do it and I had it in the mail within 2 weeks.
After 15 years of service and 4 PCSs I've gotten accustomed to transferring permits and or just getting a new one.
I will say this read the laws and regs for yourself and ask questions. Don't take someone's word for it when it comes to OC. When I worked at Gun World in Del City on a couple of occasion we had military guys come in OCing a loaded weapon and in each case they had come from an OC state and had a permit for that state and assumed that because they were military and had a permit from an OC state they were legal to do so here. After I downloaded them and educated them they told me they were told it was legal and just took there word for it. I made phone calls to their Sgt's and explaind how I just prevented them from a trip to jail for giving bad advice.

hermannr

In the OP's case, WA does issue non-res permits so he is good to go there.

This law effective Nov 1...is that 1785?

WA Non-Resident CPL? Oh yes WA does issue Non-Resident CPLs. Apply in person at an Sheriff's office in the state if you are from out of stste..Same price ($52.25) same time limit (5 years) same requirements....21 and over, and not a prohibited person...They have 60 days to get your WA CPL to you...usually it takes a lot less time...In my county it takes about 2 days.

However: Doesnt matter. WA resident in the military is still a WA resident, even if they are somewhere else.

Last edited:

SSG Riser1981

I'm not a lawyer, BTW.

As long as my id is good from that state and my permit i am considered a resident of that state not the one im stationed in
But your info was great and thankyou