• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time Open carry

Nicholas A.

Well today was the first time I made it down to VA and to the range, in doing so once I made it into VA in an empty parking lot went and got things set to open carry. I will say I'm happy I went to the range and was slightly nervous in open carrying for the first time and also this is my first gun. After the range since I wen feeling slightly nervous I decided the best thing to do was put the gun away and head back home. I will also say the thigh rig was comfortable in the car and I still have a bit of a ways to go before I feel comfortable with the holster. I got a few looks from some of the off duty officers that were going to the range but they didn't say anything to me and I didn't talk with them so that was about the extent of it. Over all interesting first time

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Welcome Nicholas A! I'm happy to hear that you are able to and have decided to take advantage of your opportunity to carry tools for your defense here in the Commonwealth. If you get the chance, be sure to check out some of the northern Virginia OC meals that are fairly regularly posted right here in the Virginia forum.

Nicholas A.

I love a lot VA has to offer, just hate rush hour traffic on the beltway lol. I honestly think if I take a couple classes for carry rather then security work I would feel more comfortable and also not used to the whole being able to carry when I want to being from Maryland and all lol

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If you can drag yourself down Richmond way some time, I'd recommend taking the Virginia CHP preparation course taught by our own member ProShooter. Even if you aren't particularly inclined to carry concealed I believe the coursework would be a good starter to get you informed on the various laws and considerations applicable to anyone carrying a firearm. Although I haven't taken the course my wife has taken one of his courses and many folks here have taken his courses and they resultantly come highly recommended. Check out his website linked below.

www.proactiveshooters.com

Regarding Virginia and heavy traffic, you may not know this, but there are areas of Virginia where the traffic load is not so high! :)

Nicholas A.

only part of VA I really drive or am around is from about dulles and north. I sometimes make my way down to Roanoke but not all that often. I have looked at that class, I'm also looking at the sig sauer class, as well as some other classes.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO, to Virginia, and to open carrying. Are you a member of Maryland Shall Issue http://marylandshallissue.org already? If not, consider joining them or at least signing up for their email alerts. They need all the support they can get. If you are going to be spending time in Virginia you might also want to join VCDL www.vcdl.org , or at least sign up for the free VA-ALERT email newsletter.

There are a number of NoVa folks who probably would be willing to meet up with you and do the WalMart Walk, or accompany you some other place(s) so you can become more comfortable being not noticed. Post an invitation. I second the recommendation to attend the meet&eat events in NoVa - you will get practice OCing and get to meet some good people, too.

Can you meet up with us on Lobby Day at the Virginia General Assembly Building in Richmond? It's on the MLK Monday holiday. There may be carpools from NoVa.

There, I think I covered the high points.

stay safe.

Nicholas A.

I am on both of those sites and signed up for alerts. I might be able to make the Lobby Day, but I am unsure and in all honesty it will depends on how school is going as I'm in college and dealing with a what would be called a full life change. I am grateful for the very warm welcome I have received thus far as well as all of the information both on this site and has been suggested.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Give "swinokur" a shout, he's in Bethesda as I recall, and try to set up a luncheon here in Virginia and I'll be happy to join you if I can. I haven't seen swinokur in quite a while now so it would be good to catch up with the both of you. Only problem on my side is I have to go in the hospital next week for a total knee replacement so I may be out of commission for a couple of weeks.

Nicholas A.

Thank for the suggestion and when I'm able to I will happily set up either a lunch or dinner thing and try to attend one of the normal dinner meets. Thank you again to everyone