• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Priority customer falsely arrested for SUV theft: worst case scenario?

EMNofSeattle

It doesn't sound like there was ever a warrent just the officer being told he stole the car.

Well when a car is reported stolen a notice is put on the dispatchers computer, if that license plate is run by an officer it will appear flagged as "reported stolen" at that point the officer may stop the vehicle, chances are, you'll go to jail into it's sorted out. unless you have a clear title plus DL in your name and there is absolutely no doubt they probably will arrest you.

If the vehicle was still marked as registered to the dealer or the dealer hadn't reported the sale to state, it's possible that the officer did check all documents and it did reasonably appear as a theft to him, the fact that he only spent four hours in jail tells me it didn't take the police long to find out what was really going on and they did release him shortly after.

Hear's the virginia law on the matter of false reports

§ 18.2-461. Falsely summoning or giving false reports to law-enforcement officials.

It shall be unlawful for any person (i) to knowingly give a false report as to the commission of any crime to any law-enforcement official with intent to mislead, or (ii) without just cause and with intent to interfere with the operations of any law-enforcement official, to call or summon any law-enforcement official by telephone or other means, including engagement or activation of an automatic emergency alarm. Violation of the provisions of this section shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Class 1 Misedeamors appear to be punishble by a year in lockup, which is the same as a Gross Midemeanor here in WA, Now I don't know how virginia cops operate, but in WA I doubt the dealer would be arrested for false report, similar crimes in other states are normally cited and no jail time until conviction...

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

I once bought a new car from a dealership in a finance deal. Contract was signed, handshakes all around, and I drove away with a new car happy as jay bird.

A few days later I got a letter in the mail stating my contract had been canceled because the financing deal had supposedly fallen through. The letter said I had to return the car to the dealer in perfect condition in 24 hours.

Long story short, the dealer had messed up on the contract and sold me the car for about $3,000 less then they wanted too. Now they wanted the car back so they lied on the credit app to get me disqualified for financing.

I refused to return car and they threatened to call cops and say car was stolen. After much wrangling and my attorney threatening to sue them I got the car at an even lower price and a manager got fired.

Redbaron007

It doesn't sound like there was ever a warrent just the officer being told he stole the car.

I re-read that and wasn't sure myself....made an assumption.

Yes and no, depending upon the state and circumstances involved. On a warrant/report of a stolen vehicle, technically they can choose not to, but I doubt cops will ignore a warrant on a stolen car.

I figured there had to be some latitude with those, but didn't know the extent of it.

Thanks guys for the help! I don't pretend to be a LEO nor have played one on TV....although I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...just not in the last 30 days. :)

Mayhem

Just asking a question....can the officer refuse to enforce the warrant?

I do not think they can choose NOT to serve it.

It is not the job of the cops to decide who is right and wrong when it comes to a warrant while on the street.

A warrant was issued after probable cause was made to get it so they need to let the courts decide. Now they may want to tell the magistrate at the time bail is set if they see some type of probem. But I do not want the cops deciding this on the street who can walk. Some are not that bright and could let a bad guy go who can tell a great lie.

Mayhem

It sounds like they drew up a sales agreement, everything was signed and in order, and they gave him the keys. The only problem was that they let the car go for less than they wanted.

IT IS NOW A CIVIL MATTER! No crime on the part of the new vehicle owner. They would need to try and sue him but he has the contract to fall back on. They should have cut their loss on that sale. Because I would sue the dealership bigtime!!! I would be getting a few free cars for the false arrest.

I would love to know what they told the cops. I am betting they said he would not return the car. And because it is more than $200 bucks... the cops would need to get the warrant. We cannot normally swear out felony warrants on people. So hopefully the cops did a proper investigation and were simply lied to or should I say deceived??

I cannot imagine the cops knocking on my door, cuffing me, and telling me I stole my car. Well, at that savings he made it was technically a steal! ha!!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
I do not think they can choose NOT to serve it.

It is not the job of the cops to decide who is right and wrong when it comes to a warrant while on the street.

A warrant was issued after probable cause was made to get it so they need to let the courts decide. Now they may want to tell the magistrate at the time bail is set if they see some type of problem. But I do not want the cops deciding this on the street who can walk. Some are not that bright and could let a bad guy go who can tell a great lie.

Normally, 99.999999% of the time, cops will do what a warrant says. But we have the three branches of gov't as a check and balance. Legislatures can pass laws but DAs or cops don't have to enforce them. Judges can ignore laws. And the legislature can ignore the courts.

Its rock paper scissors ...

In IL, county DA said he would no longer enforce no carry statues. A DA has complete authority on this action/non-action. Nothing happened to that DA.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In IL, county DA said he would no longer enforce no carry statues. A DA has complete authority on this action/non-action. Nothing happened to that DA.

But nothing was said about what the cops would do. So they can (will?) still make the arrests - it's just that when the caase comes up the DA will tell the judge there will be no prosecution. Judge then dismisses the case with prejudice.

How does that stop someone from being arrested in the first place? How does that prevent someone from being held in jail pre-trial?

Got to watch and see how all the chains are linked.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

Yes, it's always a personal choice.

In VA, I thought the warrant was worded something along the lines of "To any officer: You are hereby COMMANDED..."
I'll look into this (I have a copy of an old warrant for my arrest somewhere) (The charges were frivolous and were dropped, btw :rolleyes:)

EDIT:
"TO ANY AUTHORIZED OFFICER:
You are hereby commanded in the name of the Commonwealth of Virginia forthwith to arrest and bring the Accused before this Court to answer the charge that the Accused, within this city or county, on or about _____DATE_____ did unlawfully in violation of Section _____SECTION_____. Code of Virginia: ____DESCRIPTION OF CHARGE_______.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Rumor is (from someone running for a judgeship) that there is a desk drawer at the Sheriff's office that's just filled with warrants that the Sheriff doesn't want to have served. Just because a judge issues a warrant doesn't mean that everyone in that area's law enforcement department is going to drop anything they have and go search out someone. They MIGHT look up 'wants and warrants' when they stop an individual, however.

Jack House

Rumor is (from someone running for a judgeship) that there is a desk drawer at the Sheriff's office that's just filled with warrants that the Sheriff doesn't want to have served. Just because a judge issues a warrant doesn't mean that everyone in that area's law enforcement department is going to drop anything they have and go search out someone. They MIGHT look up 'wants and warrants' when they stop an individual, however.
I believe it. About a month or so before I finally found my new house, I had some issues with my neighbors stealing license plates through FEDEX. Best we could do was get the police to get a warrant for the man's arrest for trespassing. He had previously been trespassed from the property. But after that, we couldn't get the cops to actually go arrest the man, no matter how many times we told them exactly where he was.

Freedom1Man

In VA, I thought the warrant was worded something along the lines of "To any officer: You are hereby COMMANDED..."
I'll look into this (I have a copy of an old warrant for my arrest somewhere) (The charges were frivolous and were dropped, btw :rolleyes:)

EDIT:
You are hereby commanded in the name of the Commonwealth of Virginia forthwith to arrest and bring the Accused before this Court to answer the charge that the Accused, within this city or county, on or about _____DATE_____ did unlawfully in violation of Section _____SECTION_____. Code of Virginia: ____DESCRIPTION OF CHARGE_______.

Everything is a personal choice.

Soldiers have been tried and found guilty for following orders.

davidmcbeth

Banned
But nothing was said about what the cops would do. So they can (will?) still make the arrests - it's just that when the caase comes up the DA will tell the judge there will be no prosecution. Judge then dismisses the case with prejudice.

Cops arrest, DA (head of law enforcement, top cheese) decides if he wishes to prosecute. If DA does not want to move the case forward then a judge never sees it.

Mayhem

EDIT:

That is what I remember my warrant saying... "Commanded" That is what made me feel it was not optional.

If you are commanded by the court to arrest someone... you have to do it.

If I swear out a warrant on someone I damn well expect the cops to serve it so we can have our day in court. It is not the job of the cop to decide if my warrant is worthy or if I even have a case. A magistrate found probable cause to issue the warrant and that is beyond the cops pay grade.

Mayhem

Everything is a personal choice.

Soldiers have been tried and found guilty for following orders.

Agreed. Everything you decide to do is a personal choice. But there are times when you are legally required to do something.

And cops or soldiers are both not required to obey orders the know are unlawful or illegal. If a police commander or a company commander orders a cop or soldier to shoot an unarmed man in the head... they would be held accountable because it is obviously wrong.

But serving an arrest warrant has already passed the sniff test and is a legal process. Nobody is going to be prosecuted to serving court paperwork.

DocWalker

And cops or soldiers are both not required to obey orders the know are unlawful or illegal. If a police commander or a company commander orders a cop or soldier to shoot an unarmed man in the head... they would be held accountable because it is obviously wrong.QUOTE]

Unless you put a pen in their one hand and say they where trying to stab thier partner....opps wrong thread.

OC for ME

In Missouri the sheriff must execute the warrant (RSMo 544.080). There is no statute that refers to any other LEA beyond the sheriff. Now, who gets to define "forthwith" in the case of VA. In MO there is no ambiguity, ".....immediately after receiving them." What is not clear is how the sheriff interprets/implements "immediately."