• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Priority customer falsely arrested for SUV theft: worst case scenario?

Repeater

Gee, I always thought customers were a priority.

Yet, this innocent man was custodially arrested anyways. In situations like this, I have to wonder how best to handle the situation if it were you and you're OCing.

Could he have ended up dead?

Chesapeake car dealer apologizes for customer's arrest
The president of Priority Chevrolet apologized Wednesday for the arrest of a customer in June who the dealership mistakenly undercharged for an SUV and who resisted the company’s efforts to get him to sign a new, costlier contract.

Dennis Ellmer said Chesapeake police have told him that one of his managers told an officer that Danny Sawyer of Chesapeake had stolen a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse.

“I owe Mr. Sawyer a big apology,” said Ellmer, who manages the entire Priority Auto Group.

He said his staff erred when they sold the SUV to Sawyer for about $5,600 less than they should have and erred again when they went to police. He said Sawyer should not have been arrested and definitely should not have had to spend four hours in jail.

934101000.jpg

[size=+1]Free Oil Change
for Life![/size]

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So he got a GREAT deal on a car, and is now in line for a monster lawsuit settlement. This guy knows how to shop.

I wonder if we are allowed to call the cops when a car dealer "errs" the other direction.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The connection to OC or RKBA is artificial/forced.

The report is off topic for OCDO, excepting the Social Lounge.

Just noticed - took 3 months for the apology to be made apparently.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
The connection to OC or RKBA is artificial/forced.

The report is off topic for OCDO, excepting the Social Lounge.

Just noticed - took 3 months for the apology to be made apparently.

Yeah, but it's so interesting to those who are members of groups likely to be victimized in retaliation for legitimate activities. Speaking of which, I recently saw an old movie called, "Panther", about the Black Panther Party in California; it appears gun control in California was a direct result of the "threat to the public safety" posed by the existence of armed black citizens.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah, but it's so interesting to those who are members of groups likely to be victimized in retaliation for legitimate activities. Speaking of which, I recently saw an old movie called, "Panther", about the Black Panther Party in California; it appears gun control in California was a direct result of the "threat to the public safety" posed by the existence of armed black citizens.

True enough, but then again it is still on the forum is it not. :rolleyes:

DocWalker

I've seen the movie also, if it wasn't for the panthers I'm sure the state would have found another reason to infringe on the freedoms of US citizens. I'm fully comfident that the goverments both local and federal will continue to try and make citizens into slaves at every opportunity.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Danny, Danny, Danny .. you be in trouble....

Wish I could hear the conversation between Danny and his wife:

Wife: You did what?!
Dan: I called the cops to get more $$ off a guy
Wife: And this is what we are being sued for?
Dan: Don't worry babe, I'm sure the judge will just chuckle at at.
Wife: Yeah, and we'll be chuckling when we are living in our car! My father was right, you are a moron.
Dan: I don't think I did anything wrong, he wouldn't sign a new contract - look this happens all the time in my business, its nothing.
Wife: Get out ! Get out ! Get out !
Dan: Jeez, sounds just like my boss!

Jack House

They should have just swallowed the cost. $5600 is chump change and it was their mistake anyway. Now they're going to possibly end up losing a few million.

DocWalker

Something else to consider....

1. Is the person that made "false" report to police that the vehicle was stolen going to be charged with making a false police report?

2. Will the dealer have to refund the citizens for the man-power, gas, and other processing fees used to imprison this person illegally?

3. The guy that made the report should at least be fired for this.

REALteach4u

Hmm....

Breach of contract
Harrassment
Attempted extortion or coercion
Unlawful detainment
Unlawful arrest
Defamation of character
Slander for verbally telling the reporting officer
Libel for the reporting officer documenting it as well as it now being in the media

And...since we have the unlawful arrest we'll just add ASSAULT to the mix.

Sounds to me like someone is getting a free vehicle for their troubles (courtesy of the dealership) as well as an early retirement courtesy of a Police Department.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Hmm....

Breach of contract
Harrassment
Attempted extortion or coercion
Unlawful detainment
Unlawful arrest
Defamation of character
Slander for verbally telling the reporting officer
Libel for the reporting officer documenting it as well as it now being in the media

And...since we have the unlawful arrest we'll just add ASSAULT to the mix.

Sounds to me like someone is getting a free vehicle for their troubles (courtesy of the dealership) as well as an early retirement courtesy of a Police Department.

Strangely I don't blame the police department for this. This is all on the dealership.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Strangely I don't blame the police department for this. This is all on the dealership.

I agree here ... cops get call, caller says he's the owner of a vehicle and someone stole it. Veh reg still listed the dealer I'm sure. Duh, no brainer here ..

Last edited:

conhntr

The funnest part of the (potential) lawsuit would be discovery.

Sp you are saying this guy got the car for 5500$ less than he "should" have? Lets see sales for last 6 months with ACTUAL profit per sale. Including all kickbacks/incentives/schemes. Lol

DocWalker

I agree here ... cops get call, caller says he's the owner of a vehicle and someone stole it. Veh reg still listed the dealer I'm sure. Duh, no brainer here ..

The Cops could have ask the guy if he stole it or asked if he had his paperwork before hauling him in. An cop doing his job shouldn't just take someones word but investigate before reacting.

Cops: The dealer called and said you stole this vehicle.
Owner: Nope I just bought it, I have the paperwork right here. Would you like a copy?
Cops: Please that would be great.
Owner: No problem.
Cops: Thanks for your help.

Cops: We talked to the guy you said stole the vehicle and he has paperwork saying he owns it.
Dealer: Well we screwed up and sold it for less than we should have.
Cops: So he didn't steal it?
Dealer: No, but you wouldn't have responded just because we are stupid.
Cops: But we will for making a false police report. Please turn around and put your hands behind you back......(click)

The cops are partially to blame for not doing their jobs and checking out the facts first.

Redbaron007

They should have just swallowed the cost. $5600 is chump change and it was their mistake anyway. Now they're going to possibly end up losing a few million.

^^^
$$$$$$ This is what Sawyer will see, after the dust settles. Nice investment in a car. :cool:

The funnest part of the (potential) lawsuit would be discovery.

Sp you are saying this guy got the car for 5500$ less than he "should" have? Lets see sales for last 6 months with ACTUAL profit per sale. Including all kickbacks/incentives/schemes. Lol

This won't see the light of discover...although I would love to see it. The attorney for the dealership will have this settle; unless the plaintiff, Sawyer, gets way to to greedy.....but it'll be used in the negotiations. The filing of a false police report and an arrest has major ripples through the settlement process. Then the harassing messages; using On-Star to track the vehicle...just a few privacy issues. Now the question comes in, how much exposure does On Star have for providing non-public information? Sawyer could be getting some more pocket change from them.

Chances are, Sawyer will have a new car for a long time....with $$ to spare. :D

Last edited:

Redbaron007

The Cops could have ask the guy if he stole it or asked if he had his paperwork before hauling him in. An cop doing his job shouldn't just take someones word but investigate before reacting.

Cops: The dealer called and said you stole this vehicle.
Owner: Nope I just bought it, I have the paperwork right here. Would you like a copy?
Cops: Please that would be great.
Owner: No problem.
Cops: Thanks for your help.

Cops: We talked to the guy you said stole the vehicle and he has paperwork saying he owns it.
Dealer: Well we screwed up and sold it for less than we should have.
Cops: So he didn't steal it?
Dealer: No, but you wouldn't have responded just because we are stupid.
Cops: But we will for making a false police report. Please turn around and put your hands behind you back......(click)

The cops are partially to blame for not doing their jobs and checking out the facts first.

Just asking a question....can the officer refuse to enforce the warrant?