• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What cannot be OPENLY carried?

frodo0602

I wanted to post this as a response to another thread, but it was closed.

I'm trying to find out where NC law might state what weapons cannot be openly carried. As I understand the basics to laws, statutes, regulations, etc, (admittedly this is limited :) ) laws serve only to limit, not to grant rights. Therefore, if a lightsaber is not made illegal (not prohibited by any law) to carry, it is therefore legal to carry.

Please educate with references if you have them.

CCinMaine

If you're asking cause you're hoping to live long enough to have a light saber then you're question is irrelevant cause it will never happen. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

frodo0602

If you're asking cause you're hoping to live long enough to have a light saber then you're question is irrelevant cause it will never happen. Lol.

oh, but lightsabers already exist....the government just doesn't want us to know about it! :uhoh: lol!

I just wanted to be vague and not focus on specifics which is why i also used "weapon" and not handgun or gun. I like to openly carry many types of items that could be weapons. Just wanted to keep it non-specific.

Last edited:

CCinMaine

Haha. I'd say just review all the statutes regarding weapons you can find. The Maine state legislature's website has a search function for state statutes. Maybe your state does too.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

I'm trying to find out where NC law might state what weapons cannot be openly carried. As I understand the basics to laws, statutes, regulations, etc, (admittedly this is limited :) ) laws serve only to limit, not to grant rights. Therefore, if a lightsaber is not made illegal (not prohibited by any law) to carry, it is therefore legal to carry.

I cannot answer your question as it may be in conflict with the rules of the forum.

davidmcbeth

Banned
how so? If i've breached the rules by asking, then i need to know as well.

I am not saying it IS against rules, just that it may be...we had a recent posting of a gentleman asking if a specific firearm was suitable for carry and the thread was basically closed down ...

You have not broke the rules until a moderator says so ... I am not a moderator

KainVictus

Forgive me for butting my nose in here, and pleaes know that I am not as well versed as say mr. Macbeth is on this website but I have to put my two cent in here.

While I can understand that your question is essential to you, this is in effect and as I understand it, a 2A (second amendment) website dedicated to gun laws if I am incorrect please inform me. If you are expecting myself and others to read your post and not see that you would like to carry a sword or a large hunting knife or even something like a wood axe, on your belt then I would have to say you didn't do a very good job in presenting the question. If you expect us all to answer your question knowing that the afformetioned items are exactly what you would like to carry then I have to say that I feel your question is both immature, and a little pointless. That is my opinion and I appologize if you do not agree. If you want to carry a gun and ask a gun question here then please by all means do. . .if you expect people who are (at least I hope since they are on this website) advocates for the 2A and the ability to carry their handguns in public to in more than a passing way acknowledge such a ridiculous question then you sir are in the wrong place. Please be a little more specific, and a little less rediculous in your question

frodo0602

Forgive me for butting my nose in here, and pleaes know that I am not as well versed as say mr. Macbeth is on this website but I have to put my two cent in here.

While I can understand that your question is essential to you, this is in effect and as I understand it, a 2A (second amendment) website dedicated to gun laws if I am incorrect please inform me. If you are expecting myself and others to read your post and not see that you would like to carry a sword or a large hunting knife or even something like a wood axe, on your belt then I would have to say you didn't do a very good job in presenting the question. If you expect us all to answer your question knowing that the afformetioned items are exactly what you would like to carry then I have to say that I feel your question is both immature, and a little pointless. That is my opinion and I appologize if you do not agree. If you want to carry a gun and ask a gun question here then please by all means do. . .if you expect people who are (at least I hope since they are on this website) advocates for the 2A and the ability to carry their handguns in public to in more than a passing way acknowledge such a ridiculous question then you sir are in the wrong place. Please be a little more specific, and a little less rediculous in your question

in my original post i referenced another thread that had been closed.
[/QUOTE]I am not saying it IS against rules, just that it may be...we had a recent posting of a gentleman asking if a specific firearm was suitable for carry and the thread was basically closed down ...[/QUOTE]
mcbeth, mentioned it as well, but i can't say if he understood that i was referencing exactly what he was talking about.

I was trying to avoid the same by being very vague. I was simply looking for where i can find what weapons are illegal for open carry. I didn't want to say "guns" because i didn't want people to start asking me "well what type of gun are you talking about?" I wanted to get a reference and research it for myself.

Guns, as i'm sure you are aware, are weapons. So yes this question is relevent to this forum. You simply assume I'm talking about something other than 2A.

And if you want to discuss it, that is, the right to bear "arms," then you may want a history lesson. What were "arms" prior to guns? Bow and arrow maybe? What before that? Swords? Would you agree that any item you use to defend yourself could indeed be "arms" or stated another way: used to arm yourself for the purpose of self defense. Therefore i would say that any weapon carried openly, to be used for defense, would technically have a place on this website.

With that said, again, you assumed you knew what i was talking about. And yes, i do realize that this site is dedicated to open carry of firearms. So I could nitpick and say: why would i ever hear the discussion of concealed carry on this site then? But it happens right? So before you make rude comments and degrade someone for attempting to educate themselves, all the while hoping not to get the post shutdown, I urge you to stop and think. Then if you still feel you have something to contribute, please do it with a little more tact and grace.

Now, all said, I know that you were simply trying to keep this forum, and the posts within it, on track and true to the original intent. For that reason, i'm not upset at all about your comment. However i did feel the need to share my side. Kill ignorance with questions, do not asssume.

EMNofSeattle

When lightsabers are outlawed only outlaws will have lightsabers.

but I think we can agree on "reasonable restriction" of "high capacity assault lightsabers" and "cop-killer lightsabers" And of course for the children we need lightsaber-free school zones. But you should generally have the right to open carry lightsabers as long as they're properly holstered,

however "Blaster rifles" and "the force" are off topic sure the force is great and most of us own at least one blaster rifle, but due to urban issues of muzzle control and choking/zapping the wrong person, on this thread we wish to talk about openly carrying holstered light sabers is daily life, so threads related to the force and blaster rifles are off limits....

Last edited:

frodo0602

When lightsabers are outlawed only outlaws will have lightsabers.

but I think we can agree on "reasonable restriction" of "high capacity assault lightsabers" and "cop-killer lightsabers" And of course for the children we need lightsaber-free school zones. But you should generally have the right to open carry lightsabers as long as they're properly holstered,

however "Blaster rifles" and "the force" are off topic sure the force is great and most of us own at least one blaster rifle, but due to urban issues of muzzle control and choking/zapping the wrong person, on this thread we wish to talk about openly carrying holstered light sabers is daily life, so threads related to the force and blaster rifles are off limits....

had me rolling! love it!:lol: