• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen XD9..be on the lookout please

Deserteagle8338

skopro,

I'm retired but the fixed income I am living on now is pretty decent (could be lots worse) and I've been where you are $$-wise on TOO many occasions in my life. PM me your mailing address -- I will send you a $100 check (when my VA Disability money gets Direct-Deposited into my bank account October 1st) on the condition it goes towards your "buy a new [or used] gun fund."

But next time you keep it in your trunk, shackle it somehow to something solid in there (even if it just a (serious) padlock through the trigger-guard to something well-anchored to the frame of your car). :)

I'll await your PM...

P.S. It's not "charity," it's just one gun-owner helping out another -- so I hope you will accept it in that spirit.

EDIT [adding pictures]: Here are 4 pics I took illustrating some possibilities. The handcuffs are quick & easy whereas the huge locks & chain are more serious (used to secure parked motorcycles to something solid nearby -- or each other -- to discourage thieves from lifting one of them). If you don't have anything substantial in your trunk to cuff/chain to, you could get a HUGE diameter eye-bolt and attach it to your frame. The EYE part of the bolt would be accessible from inside your trunk, of course, but the nut only accessible from under your car so you'll need to drill a hole and get under there to install it -- and if your car is low enough to the ground, a thief would have a hard time getting to the nut (even IF brought the right-sized socket and such to undo it, which s highly unlikely).

True, you (we) can't prevent theft, but we CAN make it harder (and if he's there too long, or brings attention to himself by making noise cutting/pounding, we just might catch him).

Point is, just be creative...but DO something like this or similar.

Do you realize how easy it is to get around your security system by simply buying a $5.00 handcuff key on Amazon? Handcuffing your gun is not making it secure.

The giant lock and chain is..... interesting. I bought the biggest U-lock I could for my bike, and a fat cable lock and both of those failed to stop my bike from getting stolen.

If somebody wants something, they will get it.

Last edited:

skopro

D-E8338,

Still awaiting a PM from skopro...I hope soon, as the offer is only good "for a limited time" (as seen on TV) and I prefer to take care of that promptly (so I know my budget for this coming month).

skopro...?

Cloudcraft, I do really appreciate the gesture. However, If i were to take your offer for help i don't know when the soonest i would be able to come up with the rest of the funds to make this happen quickly. I also don't feel right taking money from someone thats,in perhaps, similar financial constraints as myself.

PFC HALE

so if one were to lock a pistol with a heavy duty chain to a secure anchor in a locked truck of a car in a locked garage and the car itself was stolen, are they still irresponsible for not chaining the car to the concrete, or booting it or something to ensure the car wouldnt be stolen?

just a thought, given the logic behind the nay sayers placing blame on the owner...

mobiushky

My issue is not with the steps used to secure a firearm in a car. My issue is with people looking down their nose and insulting someone else simply because they didn't follow someone else's protocol. IF you want to lock your gun into a time locked safe with an explosive trip wire should anyone come within 50', go ahead I guess. Don't be flaming others if they don't see the need to be so anal.

Like I said before, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've left a gun locked in my car anywhere. The only reason it's there is because I may have showed up someplace and absolutely could NOT carry it. BTW, I don't obey the signs at the mall. No force of law. Worst case, they can ask me to leave and I will. But then, I do have a CHP and can legally carry nearly everywhere. SO that's obviously a difference.

BUT, let me ask this. If you have the firearm in your trunk what good will it do if you need it? I assume the gun is for defense. If so, how do you intend to get to it in time of need? A plea to the assailant to wait just a bit while I go get something? While you're at your job, locked up makes sense if you can't carry. But why not go right to the trunk as soon as you get to the car and move it to a location in the car with you, and then carry it in the house when you get home? Honestly, no attack or anything intended.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Since everyone here has taken issue, I apologize for posting in this thread since doing so has caused such discord. I deleted all my posts above but that's all I have control over (can't delete what people quoted).

As for skopro, my offer still stands (via PM contact), but otherwise I won't post further here.

You may now resume your normal programming...

Last edited:

skopro

I just got my replacement pistol today, its a Glock 19. So far im pretty happy with it; feel as though i just bought a Iphone (which i despise) . I will take some goods things
from this incident. I switched jobs in late October and it has been for the better, my pay has increased about 50% which now affords me more headroom. I also want to thank cloudcraft, i took him up on his offer and i appreciate the gesture
immensely.

Saxxon

Pretty sure theft of a firearm is a felony no matter the value of the gun.

I had one stolen almost 25 years ago out in San Clemente, CA. The cops weren't too concerned about it, I did have the serial number to give them. They didn't want to be bothered taking fingerprints off the furniture the gun was removed from, nor off the 40oz beer bottle the thief left behind. Never heard boo again after that. Likely wound up in Mexico, or CA authorities recovered it and just didn't bother to return it.