• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at state fair

frogfish

NC state fair is coming up? I was wondering if OCing was permitted? Common sense unfortunately makes me think it will be prohibited, but thought id ask anyways

REDFIVE48

From the state fair website:
Gate and Ride Tickets
How much is admission to the N.C. State Fair?
Ticket prices are $8 for adults, $3 for children and free for seniors 65 and over, and children under 5. Adult tickets are only $5 with a valid military ID.
Click on the Tickets page for more information and discounts offered during the advance sale period.

Since you need an admission ticket, weapons are not allowed

carolina guy

From the state fair website:
Gate and Ride Tickets
How much is admission to the N.C. State Fair?
Ticket prices are $8 for adults, $3 for children and free for seniors 65 and over, and children under 5. Adult tickets are only $5 with a valid military ID.
Click on the Tickets page for more information and discounts offered during the advance sale period.

Since you need an admission ticket, weapons are not allowed

The admission charge does not necessarily qualify the fair as an "assembly" since everyone is doing their own thing (unlike a movie, presentation or concert). However, since the rides and such are private, and the land is leased for the event, that allows them to restrict based on private "ownership".

Also, like almost all other fairs, betcha they will sell beer and letcha drink it there too. ;)

REDFIVE48

The admission charge does not necessarily qualify the fair as an "assembly" since everyone is doing their own thing (unlike a movie, presentation or concert). However, since the rides and such are private, and the land is leased for the event, that allows them to restrict based on private "ownership".

Also, like almost all other fairs, betcha they will sell beer and letcha drink it there too. ;)

I think you are probably wrong on the interpretation of admission charge and admission, but I'm sure others will chime in on it as well.

carolina guy

I think you are probably wrong on the interpretation of admission charge and admission, but I'm sure others will chime in on it as well.

Perhaps. :)

Consider: GS_14-269.3
§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

From a quoted version of Black's 5th:
Assembly: The concourse of meting together of a considerable nuber of persons at the same place. Also, the persons so gathered.

Political Assemblies are those required by the constitution and laws : for example the general assembly.

The lower or more numerous branch of the legislature in many of the states is also called the “Assembly” or house of Assembly”. See also “House of Representatives”.

Popular Assemblies are those where the people meet to deliberate upontheir rights; these are guranteed by the Constitution. See “Assembly, right of”.

Assembly, right of. Right guaranteed by First Amendment , US Constitution, allowing people to meet for any purpose connected with government; it encompasses meeting to protest governmental policies and actions, and the promotion of ideas. See Unlawful assembly.

Assembly, unlawful : The congregating of people which results in anti-social behavior of the group , e.g. blocking a sidewalk, obstructing traffic, littering streets; but, a law which makes such congregating a crime because people may be annoyed is violative of the right of free assembly. See Unlawful assembly.

Or this definition:

noun

A group of people gathering, coming together, or meeting, or already so assembled, for a common purpose.
A legislative body, especially, in many states, the lower house of the state legislature.

unlawful assembly
Three or more individuals gathering, coming together, or meeting with the common intention of committing a violent crime or some act, lawful or unlawful, that will breach the peace.

It is strange that NC has not really defined what an "assembly" really is...but most definitions I have seen revolve around a "common purpose".

Some people go to the fair for the animals, some for the food, some the rides, some for all three...others for other reasons. Nothing other than the admission to the fair binds them together, and that seems a bit nebulous to me. :)

Last edited:

frogfish

guess ill just have to go an see then. Who all will make it to the fair this year? Always a good time

62 Caddy

Besides the purchase of ticket for admission issue, it is also Sate property with State employees. You cannot legally carry a gun.

lannie

Could I trouble you to direct me to exactly where YOU found this?

Caddy62 is right.
There are signs everywhere on the Fair Ground property,indicating it is state property and the employees are state workers.
I work the GRNC table at the gun shows,so Iam out there 5 or 6 times a year.
Lannie

bc.cruiser

Caddy62 is right.
There are signs everywhere on the Fair Ground property,indicating it is state property and the employees are state workers.
I work the GRNC table at the gun shows,so Iam out there 5 or 6 times a year.
Lannie

I am not arguing the point that guns may be prohibited at the fairgrounds; what I question is the blanket statement that guns are prohibited on State property, or where State employees are. Please direct me to the specific section of the statutes.

carolina guy

I am not arguing the point that guns may be prohibited at the fairgrounds; what I question is the blanket statement that guns are prohibited on State property, or where State employees are. Please direct me to the specific section of the statutes.

I am with you on this...no doubt they have the signs up for the fair...but the blanket statement about state property and state employees??

The closest I can find is:

§ 14‑269.4. Weapons on certain State property and in courthouses. and that does not give any blanket coverage like is being described.