• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Courses?

brettf22raptor

Hey guys,

I found a deal on groupon for an 8 hour ccw course for $79 through Southern Nevada Fire Arms Training. I was wondering if it was worth the $79 or not? I want to get my CCW permit so I can CC at times but I'm not sure if that is a reputable place or not and figured you guys would be the best ones to ask. Thanks in advance!

-Brett

Vegassteve

I cant be sure BUT I think that is the group that was giving false info. I think they were saying that they were a one stop place yet they didnt do all that was needed to get the certs. MAC702 one of the posters on this forum is a instructor with his own course. He is not a part of any company etc. Contact him I am sure he can help ya out.

brettf22raptor

*sigh* I was afraid of that. I figured it was too good to be true when I saw the stupidly low price. haha. I've been looking at my armed guard card too but it looks like I need a job with a security company before I can do that but all of them want me to have my armed card first! :banghead::cuss: I dunno what they were thinking when they came up with that pre-req for the job!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Depends on if you need to actually learn the material or if you just want the permission slip. There's just no way I can do it that cheaply. I'm so busy with other work that I can't compete with the large classes and cheap prices of the gun shops. So I specialize in private classes for those who can afford them and want out of the cattle calls. Of course, I also make a thorough effort to teach you everything, including the truth about OC in the great state of NV. I've been OC'ing here about 20 years, since before Algore invented the Internet.

FallonJeeper

$79.00 is not really a stupidly low price. The SFA holds regular classes in Fallon and the course fee is $80.00. Of course it's not a one on one class, but it is a good class. You may be able to find a similar class in your area. Then another $100.00 to apply with the Sheriff's office.

jdholmes

Is there any way in Nevada to bypass the class time and just test? I've been around firearms my entire life and have done hunter safety etc. before...I don't really want to acknowledge the need for a permission slip but there are times I would prefer to conceal and don't want to wind up with trouble from the "law".

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No, sorry. In reality you will probably learn something in the class. I've done classes for a lot of people that have been around guns and shooting their entire life, and I've never had a student that didn't learn something valuable. There are some laws we cover that are not intuitive, and some that just need clarification. This is not to say that you won't be the exception, of course, but the class is mandatory.

The test, however, is a joke.

brettf22raptor

Depends on if you need to actually learn the material or if you just want the permission slip. There's just no way I can do it that cheaply. I'm so busy with other work that I can't compete with the large classes and cheap prices of the gun shops. So I specialize in private classes for those who can afford them and want out of the cattle calls. Of course, I also make a thorough effort to teach you everything, including the truth about OC in the great state of NV. I've been OC'ing here about 20 years, since before Algore invented the Internet.

The money isn't completely the issue. I'm more looking for a quality class to be honest so a class where it'd just be me, my wife and an instructor would be great. I won't really start looking until the spring though. My wife and I are both interested but need to get through the holidays and pay off some bills first. I'll shoot you a PM when we're in the market Mac. I would prefer to pay a bit more for a class from someone who actually knows the OC and CC laws and isn't gonna blow a bunch of smoke up my butt with fake laws and such. Thanks for the info!