Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Saturday 9/29 - 9:30 AM @ RCD, Parham & I-95

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Saturday 9/29 - 9:30 AM @ RCD, Parham & I-95

    At last, after two weeks with competing and conflicting activities, we can again have breakfast on Saturday. River City Diner on Parham Road at I-95. 9:30 AM till ??

    Who knows what the weather will be? Saturday is the second day of the State Fair, so whether or not it will continue raining from Friday is the big question. Hopefully by Saturday Grapeshot will have climbed out of his box of wires and have caught up with all the thread reading he has not been able to do while waiting for the elves to finish fixing whatever it is that does not work.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Work has had me in the burbs all week and I'm going nuts
    but I can't go back till Sunday, so I'll be there.

  3. #3
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    I might be there, a problem or two at work means I'm not working for a few weeks, leaves me kinda looking forward to a break actually

  4. #4
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Ill be there. Maby my second to last one for a long time. Considering going back over the road. Nothing but the gun laws keeping me here now.
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Gotta eat - will be there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    does anyone feel like a trip to the zoo after breakfast? I know Logan would want to go so I may as well put the suggestion out there in case anyone needs to bring extra supplies.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    what the heck. I cant remember that last time I went to a zoo. Ill tag along. Since you go I assume they are OC friendly?
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    what the heck. I cant remember that last time I went to a zoo. Ill tag along. Since you go I assume they are OC friendly?
    Yes they are friendly - numerous people from here have OCd there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Yes they are friendly - numerous people from here have OCd there.
    I guess they werent feeling to friendly today! On our way out we took a quick look at the gift shop. Not 5 seconds after I walked in there Some lady said "you cant bring firearms here this is private property". I did not press the issue because we were on our way out anyways. The way she said it made me believe that she thinks that if it is private property then no carry is permitted. I tried to look at all the signs before going in and I think I covered them all. I do not recall seeing any signs at all about firearms. Other than that no one els seemed to mind. Not even wierd looks. While Logan was getting changed a guy saw me and said "shoot if I knew we were allowed to carry I would have brought my XD" latter another guy was asking about my extended clip and started talking about XDs as well.

    Anyways I left as soon as she asked. She all but ran away from me when she finished her sentance and I saw her on the radio and what not.
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

  10. #10
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I guess they werent feeling to friendly today! On our way out we took a quick look at the gift shop. Not 5 seconds after I walked in there Some lady said "you cant bring firearms here this is private property". I did not press the issue because we were on our way out anyways. The way she said it made me believe that she thinks that if it is private property then no carry is permitted. I tried to look at all the signs before going in and I think I covered them all. I do not recall seeing any signs at all about firearms. Other than that no one els seemed to mind. Not even wierd looks. While Logan was getting changed a guy saw me and said "shoot if I knew we were allowed to carry I would have brought my XD" latter another guy was asking about my extended clip and started talking about XDs as well.

    Anyways I left as soon as she asked. She all but ran away from me when she finished her sentance and I saw her on the radio and what not.
    The one thing I heard you say that I cringed inside as you said it, you mentioned to her that you didn't see a sign. I don't know if you realized you said it, or if you forgot the unwritten rule, but you shouldn't mention a sign because one day a person you say that to will think to themselves 'we need a sign' and then everyone will be affected. Otherwise I think you handled it well and very politely, you just need to quit giving them ideas. It was nice to have some adult company though and I'm glad you chose to join us there today.

    And yes, we wandered around the entire zoo, saw plenty of staff and not one of them said anything until we went in the gift shop on the way out. What's stupid is that of the two of us I was probably the bigger worry because she couldn't see that I was carrying too as mine was tucked inside my waistband and under my sweatshirt, yet she rushed past me & Logan to get to Tanner.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    ...., yet she rushed past me & Logan to get to Tanner.
    Why is it that the hoplophobes always rush to get right up close and in the face of someone they do not like because that person is carrying a gun?

    Oh, excuse me. I forgot that they apparently do not think - they operate on feelings and beliefs.

    Us regular folks who can actually put a few facts together and come up with at least one logical conclusion are able to understand why getting up in the face of someone with a gun might not be the best idea ever.

    Or do those hoplophobes, who apparently are all afraid of what they might do if they had a gun, actually underastand that we are perfectly capable of controling our emotions and behavior - unlike them?

    All this thinking is making my head hurt.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    [QUOTE=Tanner;1831855....another guy was asking about my extended clip....[/QUOTE]

    I know for a fact that you were not toting a Mauser Model C96 or a Steyr-Hahn or Bergman M96, so CLIP? CLIP? CLIP?

    How many times are we going to have to remind you?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I know for a fact that you were not toting a Mauser Model C96 or a Steyr-Hahn or Bergman M96, so CLIP? CLIP? CLIP?

    How many times are we going to have to remind you?

    stay safe.
    Sorry I read magazines! So I will call it a clip. And then look for you in the crowd and grin from ear to ear. And to answer your question scouser. Yes I did realize that right away after a I said it. (about the sign) I could tell she was in a hurry to do whatever. Internaly my thoughts were this. She said "this is there arent any firearms allowed here because this is private property" My fiirst thought was that maby she was thinking that no guns are allowed on private property period. What I wanted to say was this "Im sorry you feel this way but private property or not carrying a firearm is legal" To WITCH im sure her response would be "well im going to have to ask you to leave". At that point I would have asked to see a manager or get the contact info of someone more important than her. (but politely) She did catch me off guard because she really did come up on me quite quickly. So in a attempt to say something before she ran away (and she kinda did) I blurted out the sign thing. Trust me my first internal though the second I said it was a single word and in may or may not rhyme with ZIT.
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    ....im sure her response would be "well im going to have to ask you to leave". At that point I would have asked to see a manager or get the contact info of someone more important than her. ....
    And set yourself up for a trespass complaint.

    When asked to leave, leave. You can get contact info later. You can discuss things with higher-ups later.

    But as an ambassador you should not stand there saying "I'm gonna leave but before I do ...." No matter how pollitely someone may say it, being told to get off their property is a pretty good indicator that you have worn out your welcome. No matter how politely you ask to speak to someone higher up the food chain, you are telling them that you have absolutely no interest in or intention to comply with their demand that you vacate the premises. Some folks will stand there and get into a discusion with you about your attitude and behavior, which generally escalates into one of you losing their composure. Others will simply take you at your word and reach for the telephone.

    You will find yourself on much better footing when speaking to the next higher level when you can say that you wished you had been allowed the opportunity to discuss xx with the person who threw you out, but you respected their position and instructions and left without trying to cause any further commotion. It really does beat trying to worm your way out of the next higher level reminding you that you essentially insulted the person who asked (told) you to leave, as well as the company as a whole.

    Learning to be a diplomat without feeling that you have to crawl on your belly and suffer every indignity the other side tries to heap on you is a hard thing to do.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

    When asked to leave, leave.
    that's exactly what he did yesterday. He was walking towards the rear of the gift shop while I was putting the stroller in an out of the way spot when the woman raced past Logan & I to get to Tanner. They had their exchange of words of 'sorry we don't allow' and 'I'm sorry I didn't see a sign, I'll leave' he walked up to me, thanked me for "allowing him to tag along", told me what she had said and then he walked out the door. He didn't argue or press the issue and handled it well apart from the sign comment which he already said he knew he shouldn't have mentioned.

    For all I know she may not have realized we knew each other, saw him enter with a firearm at the same time I entered (on his weak side so I couldn't see the firearm) with a 2 year old and thought "omg there's a man with a gun and he's right by a man with a toddler, I've got to stop the toddler being corrupted".

    The rest of the day it's not like he hid it or stayed out of sight. While Logan & I were waiting for the train ride to start, Tanner walked up to the the train driver and asked her if there was anywhere he could smoke and she never panicked nor commented about him carrying. You saw what he was carrying, it was noticeable, she couldn't have missed seeing it. There were other people with small children, none of them freaked out, no one panicked that he was near my small child all afternoon, in fact the only person I heard mention it was a young man with his female companion who asked him which model he was carrying while we were feeding the giraffes.

    On a different subject .. Tanner, next breakfast or dinner I make it to (right now I'm thinking I'll skip next week's breakfast and take Logan to the state fair early Saturday), remind me in advance to bring an additional XDM so you can see what I meant about the grip feeling 'nicer' than the XD.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Will do that
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •