Thread: Modern SAO handguns?

Modern SAO handguns?

I prefer a SA handgun, but looking for something not on a 1911 platform, and built with modern materials. What choices are out there? (preferably in .45, although I would not mind a 9mm)

A Browning P35 Hi-Power is the quintessential SAO in 9mm. You can also find them in .40.

A CZ-75 design (avail in 9mm, .40, .45, and 10mm, not counting obsoletes) and the Taurus PT-92/99 series of firearms are DA that can always be used as a SA by being cocked and locked and never decocked.

Keep in mind that the Croatian-designed Springfield Armory XD series is also classified as SA. It looks like a Glock, but has a MUCH better trigger because the striker is fully cocked.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-29-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    A Browning P35 Hi-Power is the quintessential SAO in 9mm. You can also find them in .40.

A CZ-75 design (avail in .45 also) and the Taurus PT-92/99 series of firearms are DA that can always be used as a SA by being cocked and locked and never decocked.

Keep in mind that the Croatian-designed Springfield Armory XD series is also classified as SA. It looks like a Glock, but has a MUCH better trigger because the striker is fully cocked.
    Does the XD have the "Glock Type" trigger w/ the safety built into it?

I've already got a DA/SA pistol ( A S&W 4516), but looking for something that's just SA only. I don't want something that decocks when I put on the safety like the S&W does.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCTarheel View Post
    Does the XD have the "Glock Type" trigger w/ the safety built into it?...
    It is only Glock-like in the fact that it does have a lever inside the trigger. The trigger pull is nothing like a Glock. It is far superior, owing to its single-action design of releasing a fully-cocked striker.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

If we're going to include the XD, we might as well include the Walther PPQ. The trigger is similar to the XD's, in that it releases a fully cocked striker and has the lever safety on the trigger. It's gotten lots of praise from competition shooters for its light, crisp pull and short reset.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    If we're going to include the XD, we might as well include the Walther PPQ....
    Yes, absolutely. I've no experience with this one, but have heard great reviews about it. By no means did I intend my list to be exhaustive, merely indicative of the genre.

Browning Hi Power would be my first choice, if not a 1911. Fine piece of craftsmanship.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Although technically DA/SA the FNH FNP-45 can be carried 'cocked and locked'.

SARCO has Israeli Hi-Powers for $275, or they did the last time I looked.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Re: Modern SAO handguns?

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    If we're going to include the XD, we might as well include the Walther PPQ. The trigger is similar to the XD's, in that it releases a fully cocked striker and has the lever safety on the trigger. It's gotten lots of praise from competition shooters for its light, crisp pull and short reset.
    Ruger sr9c and sr40c along with their non compact counter parts are the same striker action. I love my sr9c. Really crisp trigger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tips. Will check these out.

If you're still looking, SIG Sauer makes a .45 SAO P220, and H&K makes a number of .45 pistols double action pistols that can be carried cocked and locked, both are pretty spendy, and neither option will have as nice a trigger as a 1911, of course.

Not saying you're wrong, because everyone should abide by their own preferences, but the Glock, when its short trigger reset is utilized in the manner intended, most people considered it to be the superior trigger.

I am far from a Glock fan boy, only really liking them for the happy sticks and reliable double stack 10s, but in terms of stock XD vs stock Glock, I personally know no one who prefers the XD pull, and have only ever seen a few people online who prefer the stock XD pull.

I have heard better things about the XDM trigger, but have no personal experience with those to verify that.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

I actually didn't know there was a difference in the XD and XD(m) triggers. I know about several of the major differences, but it didn't occur to me to research the triggers. I'm only familiar with the XD(m)'s trigger, and I know several who agree with me that it is better than a Glock's.

Let me make it clear that that is my opinion. Triggers can be personal subjects, and will depend a lot on the usage and your experiences.

Does the XD have the "Glock Type" trigger w/ the safety built into it?

I've already got a DA/SA pistol ( A S&W 4516), but looking for something that's just SA only. I don't want something that decocks when I put on the safety like the S&W does.
    While it is technically DA/SA the PT92/99/100/101 series can be carried cocked and locked in SA mode. The safety only decocks it when you press the safety down past the normal stop point.

EAA also has some pistols based on the CZ-75 that are SAO pistols. And they can be had in many different calibers.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

It is only Glock-like in the fact that it does have a lever inside the trigger. The trigger pull is nothing like a Glock. It is far superior, owing to its single-action design of releasing a fully-cocked striker.
    Found out it has a grip safety. No thanks, but I appreciate the suggestions.

Found out it has a grip safety. No thanks, but I appreciate the suggestions.
    Just curious as to why? Not because I think you're wrong, I'm just interested in your reason behind the "no grip safety".

Personally, I own Glocks. I have shot an XD .45 and actually thought it was enjoyable. SO much so that I actually intend to get one eventually. It won't replace my Glock, but I liked it enough to want one for a range gun maybe. My Glock will always be my EDC unless something else comes out I like better.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    Just curious as to why? Not because I think you're wrong, I'm just interested in your reason behind the "no grip safety".

Personally, I own Glocks. I have shot an XD .45 and actually thought it was enjoyable. SO much so that I actually intend to get one eventually. It won't replace my Glock, but I liked it enough to want one for a range gun maybe. My Glock will always be my EDC unless something else comes out I like better.
    1: Don't like the way they feel. That's the main reason I don't want a 1911.

2: I've read that if the XD stovepipes the grip safety can make it almost impossible to clear quickly. And they have had other QC problems.

I've had a Glock and sold it. Just didn't like the trigger.

1: Don't like the way they feel. That's the main reason I don't want a 1911.

2: I've read that if the XD stovepipes the grip safety can make it almost impossible to clear quickly. And they have had other QC problems.

I've had a Glock and sold it. Just didn't like the trigger.
    I have a 1911, and I have pistols without grip safeties. I can't tell the difference.

How would a grip safety interfere with clearing a stovepipe jam? I've not had one in quite a while, but when I did, I just turned the pistol sideways, pulled back the slide and let the case fall free. Grip safety shouldn't even be a concern in that instance. Personally, I'd handle one before I dismiss it out of hand. It might not feel the same to you as a 1911.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I have a 1911, and I have pistols without grip safeties. I can't tell the difference.

How would a grip safety interfere with clearing a stovepipe jam? I've not had one in quite a while, but when I did, I just turned the pistol sideways, pulled back the slide and let the case fall free. Grip safety shouldn't even be a concern in that instance. Personally, I'd handle one before I dismiss it out of hand. It might not feel the same to you as a 1911.
    I agree, I don't notice my grip safety other than a function test. If you have a gun with one just make sure it functions properly.

As far as a stove pipe your grip should not change. Tap the magazine to make sure it is seated, rack the slide firmly, and you should be ready to fire.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I agree, I don't notice my grip safety other than a function test. If you have a gun with one just make sure it functions properly.

As far as a stove pipe your grip should not change. Tap the magazine to make sure it is seated, rack the slide firmly, and you should be ready to fire.
    Or just rake the top of the slide with your weak hand and go. Most stovepipes can be cleared without the tap rack bang. BUT! Tap rack bang is a good habit to be in automatically.

I don't own one but it's definitely on my to-buy list, but the CZ-75 P07 is a polymer framed pistol in 9mm and .40 (though I read the .40's have reliability issues) where you can actually field strip the weapon and swap it between a SAO w/ manual safety or DA/SA w/ decocker configurations in minutes. I've held it and messed around with it at gun shops and it seems to have a great solid CZ feel too it at a decent weight and the trigger breaks nicely. Comparable in size to a Glock 19 I would say.

I'm also a fan of the Taurus PT92. It has a much better safety/decocker than the Beretta as it is frame mounted rather than slide mounted. As someone said, you can carry cocked and locked.

Sig makes a P220R SAO in .45 ACP. Amibi thumb safety no decocker. Single stack mags 8 and 10 round. Night sites, Houge make aluminum grips for it.
    Unlike the 1911 you can rack a round into the chamber with the safety on.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu.../p220-sao.aspx