• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Modern SAO handguns?

WNCTarheel

I prefer a SA handgun, but looking for something not on a 1911 platform, and built with modern materials. What choices are out there? (preferably in .45, although I would not mind a 9mm)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A Browning P35 Hi-Power is the quintessential SAO in 9mm. You can also find them in .40.

A CZ-75 design (avail in 9mm, .40, .45, and 10mm, not counting obsoletes) and the Taurus PT-92/99 series of firearms are DA that can always be used as a SA by being cocked and locked and never decocked.

Keep in mind that the Croatian-designed Springfield Armory XD series is also classified as SA. It looks like a Glock, but has a MUCH better trigger because the striker is fully cocked.

Last edited:

WNCTarheel

A Browning P35 Hi-Power is the quintessential SAO in 9mm. You can also find them in .40.

A CZ-75 design (avail in .45 also) and the Taurus PT-92/99 series of firearms are DA that can always be used as a SA by being cocked and locked and never decocked.

Keep in mind that the Croatian-designed Springfield Armory XD series is also classified as SA. It looks like a Glock, but has a MUCH better trigger because the striker is fully cocked.

Does the XD have the "Glock Type" trigger w/ the safety built into it?

I've already got a DA/SA pistol ( A S&W 4516), but looking for something that's just SA only. I don't want something that decocks when I put on the safety like the S&W does.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Does the XD have the "Glock Type" trigger w/ the safety built into it?...

It is only Glock-like in the fact that it does have a lever inside the trigger. The trigger pull is nothing like a Glock. It is far superior, owing to its single-action design of releasing a fully-cocked striker.

SovereignAxe

If we're going to include the XD, we might as well include the Walther PPQ. The trigger is similar to the XD's, in that it releases a fully cocked striker and has the lever safety on the trigger. It's gotten lots of praise from competition shooters for its light, crisp pull and short reset.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If we're going to include the XD, we might as well include the Walther PPQ....

Yes, absolutely. I've no experience with this one, but have heard great reviews about it. By no means did I intend my list to be exhaustive, merely indicative of the genre.

Fallschirjmäger

Although technically DA/SA the FNH FNP-45 can be carried 'cocked and locked'.
fnp-45.jpg

CCinMaine

If we're going to include the XD, we might as well include the Walther PPQ. The trigger is similar to the XD's, in that it releases a fully cocked striker and has the lever safety on the trigger. It's gotten lots of praise from competition shooters for its light, crisp pull and short reset.

Ruger sr9c and sr40c along with their non compact counter parts are the same striker action. I love my sr9c. Really crisp trigger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CO-Joe

If you're still looking, SIG Sauer makes a .45 SAO P220, and H&K makes a number of .45 pistols double action pistols that can be carried cocked and locked, both are pretty spendy, and neither option will have as nice a trigger as a 1911, of course.

Michigander

Not saying you're wrong, because everyone should abide by their own preferences, but the Glock, when its short trigger reset is utilized in the manner intended, most people considered it to be the superior trigger.

I am far from a Glock fan boy, only really liking them for the happy sticks and reliable double stack 10s, but in terms of stock XD vs stock Glock, I personally know no one who prefers the XD pull, and have only ever seen a few people online who prefer the stock XD pull.

I have heard better things about the XDM trigger, but have no personal experience with those to verify that.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I actually didn't know there was a difference in the XD and XD(m) triggers. I know about several of the major differences, but it didn't occur to me to research the triggers. I'm only familiar with the XD(m)'s trigger, and I know several who agree with me that it is better than a Glock's.

Let me make it clear that that is my opinion. Triggers can be personal subjects, and will depend a lot on the usage and your experiences.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Does the XD have the "Glock Type" trigger w/ the safety built into it?

I've already got a DA/SA pistol ( A S&W 4516), but looking for something that's just SA only. I don't want something that decocks when I put on the safety like the S&W does.
While it is technically DA/SA the PT92/99/100/101 series can be carried cocked and locked in SA mode. The safety only decocks it when you press the safety down past the normal stop point.

EAA also has some pistols based on the CZ-75 that are SAO pistols. And they can be had in many different calibers.

WNCTarheel

It is only Glock-like in the fact that it does have a lever inside the trigger. The trigger pull is nothing like a Glock. It is far superior, owing to its single-action design of releasing a fully-cocked striker.

Found out it has a grip safety. No thanks, but I appreciate the suggestions.

mobiushky

Found out it has a grip safety. No thanks, but I appreciate the suggestions.

Just curious as to why? Not because I think you're wrong, I'm just interested in your reason behind the "no grip safety".

Personally, I own Glocks. I have shot an XD .45 and actually thought it was enjoyable. SO much so that I actually intend to get one eventually. It won't replace my Glock, but I liked it enough to want one for a range gun maybe. My Glock will always be my EDC unless something else comes out I like better.

WNCTarheel

Just curious as to why? Not because I think you're wrong, I'm just interested in your reason behind the "no grip safety".

Personally, I own Glocks. I have shot an XD .45 and actually thought it was enjoyable. SO much so that I actually intend to get one eventually. It won't replace my Glock, but I liked it enough to want one for a range gun maybe. My Glock will always be my EDC unless something else comes out I like better.

1: Don't like the way they feel. That's the main reason I don't want a 1911.

2: I've read that if the XD stovepipes the grip safety can make it almost impossible to clear quickly. And they have had other QC problems.

I've had a Glock and sold it. Just didn't like the trigger.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
1: Don't like the way they feel. That's the main reason I don't want a 1911.

2: I've read that if the XD stovepipes the grip safety can make it almost impossible to clear quickly. And they have had other QC problems.

I've had a Glock and sold it. Just didn't like the trigger.
I have a 1911, and I have pistols without grip safeties. I can't tell the difference.

How would a grip safety interfere with clearing a stovepipe jam? I've not had one in quite a while, but when I did, I just turned the pistol sideways, pulled back the slide and let the case fall free. Grip safety shouldn't even be a concern in that instance. Personally, I'd handle one before I dismiss it out of hand. It might not feel the same to you as a 1911.

WalkingWolf

I have a 1911, and I have pistols without grip safeties. I can't tell the difference.

How would a grip safety interfere with clearing a stovepipe jam? I've not had one in quite a while, but when I did, I just turned the pistol sideways, pulled back the slide and let the case fall free. Grip safety shouldn't even be a concern in that instance. Personally, I'd handle one before I dismiss it out of hand. It might not feel the same to you as a 1911.

I agree, I don't notice my grip safety other than a function test. If you have a gun with one just make sure it functions properly.

As far as a stove pipe your grip should not change. Tap the magazine to make sure it is seated, rack the slide firmly, and you should be ready to fire.