• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have 12 months to save for a handgun, any suggestions?

EMNofSeattle

Well today was the big 2-0, I got 12 months to save for a handgun and a CPL once I turn 21, now I already have a .38 model 10 which is what I'll use as an open carry piece when/if I OC, But I would also like to get a CC piece

What I'm looking for is a compact semi-auto
9mm or .45 ACP (common ammo, I don't do non-standard rounds)
preferably striker fired, but DAO is ok too
Double stack mag
and I can realistically save 800 dollars for a firearm, new or used doesn't matter to me really so I can save money buying a used piece

Now I've already fired a Glock 19 and I really like those, but I was also looking at

Glock 30 SF
S&W M&P 9
Sig P-250
FNP-9M (which has left handed controls, i'm a lefty so that's nice)
Beretta Px4 DAO

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or preferred a particular pistol mentioned, again since I haven't fired many semi-autos I kind of want some guidance on what other people like so I can ponder it for the year and walk into the gun shop or WAC show knowing what I'm looking to buy.

ANY input is appreciated. thank you in advance for any answers.

OrangeIsTrouble

I have a fullsize mp40. Prettiful and comfy handgun. Plus, $70 from brownells or midway will get you an oem 9mm barrel slip in. 9 and 40 share same frame and slide. You could probably do this with the compact too. Been looking at the shield... looks funny but im 5'4" and the fullsize does stick out annoyingly unless I use a leather holster.

Shot my buddies g19 the other week and i had no cocmplaints. All the same to me. But what drew me to the mp was the cheap oem barrel swappin.

Had an xd40 and subcompact xd40 also. The sc was just ugh. Tough as **** but plain ugly and a bit wider than mps.

Get whatever feels good but if you're gonna go for a 9...just get a 40. Not much more recoil and certainly not that less ammo capacity. 15+1 in the 40 vs i think 17 or 18 in the 9? Quantity and quality!

mwaterous

All the major players except Springfield? Odd! I prefer their service models in the older XD, but when it comes to small and concealable the XDm 3.8 is fantastic. Easily concealable in a variety of places and the 9mm holds 20 rounds (19+1). The trigger is pretty good right out of the box, but there are easily a dozen gunsmiths with good reputations that you can send it to to improve it even more, they're shipped with match grade barrels, polished ramps, it's got seventy five percent of the upgrades most people do to other sidearms right from the factory.

Do you have any ranges nearby where you can rent+fire any of the guns on your list?

EMNofSeattle

All the major players except Springfield? Odd! I prefer their service models in the older XD, but when it comes to small and concealable the XDm 3.8 is fantastic. Easily concealable in a variety of places and the 9mm holds 20 rounds (19+1). The trigger is pretty good right out of the box, but there are easily a dozen gunsmiths with good reputations that you can send it to to improve it even more, they're shipped with match grade barrels, polished ramps, it's got seventy five percent of the upgrades most people do to other sidearms right from the factory.

Do you have any ranges nearby where you can rent+fire any of the guns on your list?

You're right, I never really though of the Springfield XDs, to be honest I don't know much at all about them.

Do I have such a range? yes!
Can I affordably rent guns there? No

And I'd have to bring a 21 year old buddy to rent to the gun too...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What!?! "When/if" you OC?

And, what's wrong with a revolver for CC? A 4" barrel K-frame makes a wonderful CC gun in .357 Mag.

Those comments were meant playfully.

Serious question, though. Have you checked into the ballistics of compact guns? Shortening the barrels reduces the acceleration lane for the bullet, meaning the shorter the barrel, the lower the velocity. Suddenly, your hollowpoints may not be going fast enough to open up, narrowing your field of selection to ammo that will mushroom at lower velocities. In an auto that may not like to reliably feed a few of those particular cartridges.

This can get ridiculous. I regularly see gunzines (gun periodical magazines) that tout on the cover something like "Compact Powerhouse in Manstopper .45!" But, then you dig in and find out the 2" of barrel beyond the inch or so of chamber reduces the velocity to something like 700 ft per second. Whoops, where'd all that powerhouse power go? Cripes, the girls' softball pitcher can throw the bullet almost that fast. That's an exaggeration but you get my drift.

Also, the shorter sight radius on a compact makes it harder to shoot straight with sights. A small misalignment in the sights means a wider miss at the target than on a longer gun. This tends to shorten your engagement distance at which you can be confident in hitting your target. Meaning, when you practice for speed at further distance, you'll miss more. And, then you'll be less confident of hitting something that far out, and will only be confident on closer targets.

Unless you really must have a compact because of your exact carry circumstances, I would like to recommend reconsidering.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I have a fullsize mp40. Prettiful and comfy handgun. Plus, $70 from brownells or midway will get you an oem 9mm barrel slip in. 9 and 40 share same frame and slide. You could probably do this with the compact too. Been looking at the shield... looks funny but im 5'4" and the fullsize does stick out annoyingly unless I use a leather holster.

Shot my buddies g19 the other week and i had no cocmplaints. All the same to me. But what drew me to the mp was the cheap oem barrel swappin.

Had an xd40 and subcompact xd40 also. The sc was just ugh. Tough as **** but plain ugly and a bit wider than mps.

Get whatever feels good but if you're gonna go for a 9...just get a 40. Not much more recoil and certainly not that less ammo capacity. 15+1 in the 40 vs i think 17 or 18 in the 9? Quantity and quality!

I've never fired a .40, but with .40 being so common now I think I can allow it, my rule is that my standard guns should fire common rounds, and .40 is now pretty much everywhere. Now .45 GAP 10mm Auto or .357 SIG I wouldn't do, but .40 is ok.

I like 9mm because it's cheap, it's like half the cost for FMJ ammo. and if I carry Speer Gold Dot or CorBon Powerball or Winchester SXT I think it's perfectly potent as a man-stopper. but .40 I will look into. Thanks!

EMNofSeattle

What!?! "When/if" you OC?

And, what's wrong with a revolver for CC? A 3" barrel K-frame makes a wonderful CC gun in .357 Mag. So many people think so that the damn things are very hard to find. Don't ask me how I discovered this.

My family is big on gun rights, but most of them think OC is "asking for trouble" and should be illegal, obviously if going to family events I want to not cause problems, and if it's a cold day I want to wear my coat then a conceal carry gun is better.

But my Model 10 has a 5 inch barrel and no matter what coats that I currently own that I wear or holsters I own the botton of the holster always shows from under the coat, plus the grip always seems to print

I will OC of course, but in some circumstances I think CC is more appropriate, So I want a piece for each option that is ideal for each. A full duty size revolver for OC and a compact 9, .40, or .45ACP for conceal.

I have no preference for either, it's just what's most practical for the day or what I'm doing

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My family is big on gun rights, but most of them think OC is "asking for trouble" and should be illegal, obviously if going to family events I want to not cause problems, and if it's a cold day I want to wear my coat then a conceal carry gun is better.

But my Model 10 has a 5 inch barrel and no matter what coats that I currently own that I wear or holsters I own the botton of the holster always shows from under the coat, plus the grip always seems to print

I will OC of course, but in some circumstances I think CC is more appropriate, So I want a piece for each option that is ideal for each. A full duty size revolver for OC and a compact 9, .40, or .45ACP for conceal.

I have no preference for either, it's just what's most practical for the day or what I'm doing

Oh, you're gonna have to work on that.

The question isn't whether OC should or shouldn't be illegal. The faulty premise is that government should be able to make it illegal. Meaning, their willingness to hand government the power to make it illegal in the first place, without regard to whether OC is a good idea or not. Doesn't matter whether OC or any other right is a good idea to exercise at any given time. It is a far, far worse idea to give government the power to make it illegal.

The danger is in giving the government the power to regulate it. Not whether OC is a good idea or not.

EMNofSeattle

Oh, you're gonna have to work on that.

The question isn't whether OC should or shouldn't be illegal. The faulty premise is that government should be able to make it illegal. Meaning, their willingness to hand government the power to make it illegal in the first place, without regard to whether OC is a good idea or not. Doesn't matter whether OC or any other right is a good idea to exercise at any given time. It is a far, far worse idea to give government the power to make it illegal.

The danger is in giving the government the power to regulate it. Not whether OC is a good idea or not.

I completely agree, There are times in which I think it is not appropriate to OC, but I have never anywhere advocated it be illegal. I believe it should be legal with no permit because carrying in the open to me is a basic exercise of constitutional rights. CC is different, as criminals prefer it and the like so I believe the state should have the right to restrict CC but OC Should be the default legal state of gun rights across the country, it's unfortunate that many states don't see it that way.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I completely agree, There are times in which I think it is not appropriate to OC, but I have never anywhere advocated it be illegal. I believe it should be legal with no permit because carrying in the open to me is a basic exercise of constitutional rights. CC is different, as criminals prefer it and the like so I believe the state should have the right to restrict CC but OC Should be the default legal state of gun rights across the country, it's unfortunate that many states don't see it that way.

I understand.

Permit me to offer a few thoughts regarding the state having the power to restrict CC.

Government has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that it cannot be trusted with rights. In fact, rights are anathema to government. Government will always try to diminish rights; the reason is simple--rights are not necessary to government. Rights are always a hinderance to what a politician or government functionary wants to do. They get in his road.

Giving government an opening guarantees government will try to fit the camel into the tent. The lie told by government is that rights are subject to reasonable regulation. A right is a right is a right is a right. The whole point is that it is not subject to government regulation. If it is, then it isn't really a right, but a mere privilege awaiting the next round of "reasonable regulation."

Who cares whether criminals CC? Its the same as whether criminals have guns: criminals are going to get guns whether its illegal or not. The whole reason they are criminals is because they won't abide by the law. The only people affected by CC laws are those who would obey a law against CC. Minus the occasional criminal caught CCing when police catch them or investigate them for something else.

So, are we really prepared to open the door to murderous legislation (Luby's Cafeteria) that also puts citizens through hoops in order to catch the odd criminal who happens to get caught CCing, or make an add-on charge? Especially when it gives government the idea that some regulation can be reasonable and justified? Understanding of course that politicians will find a way to make everything they want to do seem reasonable and justified, no matter how useless or outrageous? Understanding of course that in all other areas of government, politicians will sell your rights in a heartbeat for a stuffed envelope or a back-scratch from a lobbyist?

EMNofSeattle

So, are we really prepared to open the door to murderous legislation (Luby's Cafeteria) that also puts citizens through hoops in order to catch the odd criminal who happens to get caught CCing, or make an add-on charge? Especially when it gives government the idea that some regulation can be reasonable and justified? Understanding of course that politicians will find a way to make everything they want to do seem reasonable and justified, no matter how useless or outrageous? Understanding of course that in all other areas of government, politicians will sell your rights in a heartbeat for a stuffed envelope or a back-scratch from a lobbyist?

I don't nessecarily see it as an all or nothing deal.

Now with Luby's, I don't think that makes the case for constitutional carry, well it does and does not. Texas at the time was a NO CARRY STATE Texas did not (and still does not) recognize open carry as a valid exercise of the right to bear arms. and at the time they had NO CC provisions whatsoever. Washington (where I live) a law-abiding citizen does not have to jump through hoops to carry a gun, only to conceal a gun. Washington has open carry and a strong full-pre-emption law that ensures a citizen on foot in the state of WA can openly carry their piece with no permission from the king nessecary.

And for CC, WA requires only a fingerprint background check and a sworn statement that you're legal under the gun control act to possess a firearm and that you're not a "habitual drunkard" at least it used to say that, I have my dad's old concealed carry affadavit he had to sign and it asked him to certify he wasn't a drunkard, but that was in the 80s.

There is NO training requirement
NO references required
NO biometric requirements
The fees a county can charge are limited by statute
etc etc etc

And it's Shall issue, in fact Washington best I can tell was THE FIRST STATE to have shall issue licensing, with a 1965 amendment to the Uniform Pistol and Revolver Act of 1935. At the very least Washington was shall issue well ahead of Texas and Florida and well ahead of most states in the country.

So if Luby's had been in Washington and not Texas the time of the shooting a citizen could have been legally armed and well within Washington law, unlike texas where that citizen would be a criminal just waiting to get indicted.

I know this sounds OT, but my point is, I don't think restrictions on concealed carry are an infringement on a citizens rights, UNLESS that state refuses to allow open carry, then CC should be legal IMHO, because the average citizen should have the right to carry and bear arms without a permit, so if that is fully legal OC and shall issue CC that's fine with me

But back to the original topic

Which firearms do you prefer while exercising your constitutional rights?
Remember I need to pick a pistol I can have the money for in 1 year.

Wolfstanus

Sr compacts
M&P
XD
Ria officer 1911. You can have more than enough left over for a full size.
Taurus 24/7

I won't suggest a glock because you allready like those but I personaly don,t and I'm giving other options.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I know this sounds OT, but my point is, I don't think restrictions on concealed carry are an infringement on a citizens rights, UNLESS that state refuses to allow open carry, then CC should be legal IMHO, because the average citizen should have the right to carry and bear arms without a permit, so if that is fully legal OC and shall issue CC that's fine with me.

I understand.

You realize you're contradicting yourself by saying shall issue is fine? One can easily counter by saying that if the legislature can make it shall-issue, a later legislature can make it may-issue, and then later no-issue. Remember, you said earlier that since criminals CC, then restrictions on CC are OK.

Also, its been quite a fight to get shall-issue as broadly done as we have. And, in some states even OC requires a permit, not just CC.

Its not so much a question of which regulatory scheme one finds acceptable. The real question is what happens when you give government the power to regulate. Time and time and time again government has proven it cannot be trusted with rights. If you tell them you find it acceptable to regulate CC, then they will. For political reasons. Almost never for what is right, just, or fair. And then the next time a few of them see some political expediency, say to satisfy police unions or the gun-grabbers to get a few more votes, you can bet you will see the bills sponsored. There are all kinds of things done by government that I think are good, that I agree with. But, I vehemently disagree that government is the one doing it.

KelTec PF9. I don't think that one's been mentioned yet. The KelTecs are very reasonably priced.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why not a .380 .. Beretta Model 84 for example ... 13 rds ... smaller than most larger caliber pistols ...

.380 has plenty of power ... cheaper to train with too

Nascar24Glock

Which firearms do you prefer while exercising your constitutional rights?
Remember I need to pick a pistol I can have the money for in 1 year.

Let me give you a recommendation. I carry the Glock 27 Gen 4. This is a .40 caliber subcompact handgun. Here's why it will be a good one.

1. It's .40 cal. This means that you get the perfect mix of the penetration and speed of a 9mm with the stopping power of a .45 ACP.
2. It's well within your price range. I paid $600 for mine (but that included 2 magazine extenders, a box of ammo, and Tennessee's almost 10% sales tax; the gun's base price was probably closer to $500).
3. The Gen 4 has some extra features over the Gen 3 that could be beneficial to you. It has the option to include a medium backstrap (simulates Gen 3 size) or large backstrap on the grip, or no backstrap. This will be beneficial if you have large hands or if you're like me and have small hands. Also, the magazine release button can be reversed for left-handed shooters.
4. It's very compact. I carry it about every where I legally can, often in my front pocket (don't worry folks; I don't chamber a round whenever I do that). No one has ever noticed it unless I expressly pointed it out to them or unless they already knew I carry regularly.
5. It's operation is about as simple as it gets. For regular operation, you need only keep track of these parts: magazine, magazine release button, slide release button, slide, and trigger. To take it apart, you simply pull the trigger (WHILE IT'S UNLOADED!!!), pull back about 4mm on the slide, pull down the slide release lever with your other hand, and release the slide. From there, you need only remove the recoil spring and the barrel. To put it back together, you simply reinstall the barrel and recoil spring, and just put the slide back on exactly the way it came off.

But, there are a couple of disadvantages you may want to keep in mind.

1. While it does have one external and two internal safeties, Glocks do not have what most people would consider to be a true external safety (push button, grip safety, lever, etc.), since all three are deactivated by pulling the trigger. So, while you should always keep your finger off any gun's trigger until you're ready to fire, it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that you do so for a Glock. Keep in mind that Glocks also do not have a magazine release safety, meaning they will fire with or without a magazine being inserted. While you should clear and check the chamber after removing the magazine on any semi-automatic firearm, it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that you do so for a Glock.
2. Subcompact .40 cal guns can be a little bit too "snappy" on recoil for some people's liking. I would recommend you try a friend's Glock 27 or similar subcompact .40 cal such as an XD.
3. Some people consider the texture of the Gen 4's to be too rough. Try feeling the Gen 3 to see which you prefer, especially if the adjustable grip and reversible magazine release button aren't important to you.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
If there are any gun stores nearby that have ranges, and rent firearms, I'd check those out. See if they have any rentals that are similar to what you're thinking of getting. Or, if you have any friends who might already own one, see if you can try it out.

Usually, it's nice if you can try something out before you buy it, but that's not always available. But I'd at least look for it, just in case.

Michigander

The FNP is a great gun if you like DA-SA. Otherwise, I'd go for a trigger modified M&P, or a Glock. And in that order, though of course your preferences may vary...

In regards to citizens concerns about mouse gun velocities, I would suggest whatever gun and ammo that you carry, that you take it to the woods or desert or wherever you need to go, and do some ballistics tests with wet packs (phone books or similar soaked for 12+ hours to simulate muscle and organ density) and barrier material such as wood, drywall, sheet metal, and cloth. You should know your gun's capabilities before you bother carrying it.

Last edited: