Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: OC around Belvoir Question

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    14

    OC around Belvoir Question

    I just picked up my first handgun yesterday. Once my holster comes in I plan to OC whenever possible. I've been lurking here for months, and there is a ton of great information, but I do have a question. Is there anywhere around the Fort Belvoir area I should avoid while OCing?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764
    I've lived a few miles from Ft Belvoir most of my 10 years in Virginia, with absolutely no issues anywhere around post. Stay off post, of course, and you're good to go.

    To be honest, in the area, the worst I've been treated while OC is at Sharpshooters Range.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I've lived a few miles from Ft Belvoir most of my 10 years in Virginia, with absolutely no issues anywhere around post. Stay off post, of course, and you're good to go.

    To be honest, in the area, the worst I've been treated while OC is at Sharpshooters Range.
    Gotcha. I talked to the manager at PetSmart in Hybla Valley yesterday and she asked me not to do it due to it making other customers uncomfortable. Do the malls around here have any rules against OC?

    But, that's crazy that, of all places, you got treated poorly at a damn gun range! I saw their sign yesterday that you have to unload and holster your weapon on their premises.... that's dumb...

  4. #4
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    OC around Belvoir Question

    Malls pretty much all suck. I have carried at petsmart at Springfield with no problem. Might want to contact their corporate to find out policy.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    Malls pretty much all suck. I have carried at petsmart at Springfield with no problem. Might want to contact their corporate to find out policy.
    She said it's not against policy, but she asks not to do it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    OC around Belvoir Question

    If she is asking you not to do it then she is trying to make it policy. If their corporate follows state laws and she is not following corporate policies perhaps they should give her a call. Was this the one on rt1?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    If she is asking you not to do it then she is trying to make it policy. If their corporate follows state laws and she is not following corporate policies perhaps they should give her a call. Was this the one on rt1?
    Yeah, back in that big shopping center where Home Depot is.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    OC around Belvoir Question

    I think payday I have to take my dog to get some treats.

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Just as a guideline, it's probably best to not ask.

    OC'ing is like carrying a pocket knife or a cell phone. It's not something special unless you treat it that way. Others pick up on that.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    14

    Re: OC around Belvoir Question

    So, malls and movie theaters are ok to OC?



    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Just as a guideline, it's probably best to not ask.

    OC'ing is like carrying a pocket knife or a cell phone. It's not something special unless you treat it that way. Others pick up on that.
    Yeah, I guess that's a good point. Sorry, I'm new to this.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Regular Member Steeler-gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    562

    OC around Belvoir Question

    Quote Originally Posted by my95z34 View Post
    Gotcha. I talked to the manager at PetSmart in Hybla Valley yesterday and she asked me not to do it due to it making other customers uncomfortable. Do the malls around here have any rules against OC?

    .
    Most of the malls in this area prohibit carry. Ive OCd at the Springfield and the Woodbridge PetSmart with no issues. As a general rule of thumb, Ive been advised never to ask about an establishment's carry policy. Just OC and wait to see if/how the store reacts.
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    14

    Re: OC around Belvoir Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    Most of the malls in this area prohibit carry. Ive OCd at the Springfield and the Woodbridge PetSmart with no issues. As a general rule of thumb, Ive been advised never to ask about an establishment's carry policy. Just OC and wait to see if/how the store reacts.
    Cool. Thank you.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by my95z34 View Post
    Gotcha. I talked to the manager at PetSmart in Hybla Valley yesterday and she asked me not to do it due to it making other customers uncomfortable. Do the malls around here have any rules against OC?

    But, that's crazy that, of all places, you got treated poorly at a damn gun range! I saw their sign yesterday that you have to unload and holster your weapon on their premises.... that's dumb...
    I don't have a pet, so have never been in there, but have been (in that shopping center) to Chevy's, TJMaxx, PayLess, AutoZone, Home Depot, Staples, Michaels, Bed Bath & Beyond, Capitol Discount Merchandise, Noodles & Company, Coldstone Creamery, Radio Shack, 5 Below, Shoppers, IHOP, Starbucks (of course) with no issues.

    I was asked to leave Target in Springfield Mall, but didn't mention it because it's not "near Belvoir" in my book <grin>. (There's a post on that in the OC in NoVA thread somewhere here around page 119). I was escorted from the Mall by no fewer than four UNARMED individuals, and since then shop at the Target on Rte 1, where I have no issues. I haven't found anything at Springfield Mall I can't get elsewhere.
    Last edited by Tess; 09-29-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: clarify reference

  14. #14
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    OC around Belvoir Question

    I would not go to Springfield mall unless I was armed. Be interesting to see how it changes.

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    Might want to contact their corporate to find out policy.
    Noooooooo. Never ask permission, this just creates the need for a gun ban policy. Never suggest sign posting, if you ask for them, they will come.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I don't have a pet, so have never been in there, but have been (in that shopping center) to Chevy's, TJMaxx, PayLess, AutoZone, Home Depot, Staples, Michaels, Bed Bath & Beyond, Capitol Discount Merchandise, Noodles & Company, Coldstone Creamery, Radio Shack, 5 Below, Shoppers, IHOP, Starbucks (of course) with no issues.

    I was asked to leave Target in Springfield Mall, but didn't mention it because it's not "near Belvoir" in my book <grin>. (There's a post on that in the OC in NoVA thread somewhere here around page 119). I was escorted from the Mall by no fewer than four UNARMED individuals, and since then shop at the Target on Rte 1, where I have no issues. I haven't found anything at Springfield Mall I can't get elsewhere.
    I OC at that PetsMart on a regular basis and have never had any trouble. My four year old daughter and I were there last week picking up some food for the cat. We also stopped off at the Home Depot, Ruby Tuesday, and AT&T store. No issues at all.

    I also OC at the Springfield Target regularly. The unarmed Target security guy follows me around sometimes but I've never been approached by anyone. When the mall was open I never left Target so the mall security guards never were an issue.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585

    OC around Belvoir Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Noooooooo. Never ask permission, this just creates the need for a gun ban policy. Never suggest sign posting, if you ask for them, they will come.
    You already have a manager telling ou they don't want you carrying. If she is just making it up and does not have the authority of the owners to make that decision they need to know.

    Funny how people scream don't ask about policies or signs! I would like to know who supports my rights and who doesn't. If they are not posted but you know anti would you go against their choice by concealing vs just not shop there?

  18. #18
    Regular Member BillB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post

    Funny how people scream don't ask about policies or signs! I would like to know who supports my rights and who doesn't. If they are not posted but you know anti would you go against their choice by concealing vs just not shop there?
    I'm with you here. I want to know who is opposed to my right to carry and prohibits my carrying a firearm into their establishment. I want to know this before I enter and spend any of my money there.

  19. #19
    Regular Member altajava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    228
    In the past four years, I've never heard a word from the petsmart employees from Fairfax to Reston to Gainesville. Only a couple of snide remarks from the people doing adoption events and never to my face.

  20. #20
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Last visit to PetSmart......

    I got into a good discussion on holsters with the staff. "The Great Hairy Beast" and "Wee Beastie" tried to empty the treat bin at the register while I was chatting. Down here it has been no issue but I do travel with a significant distraction.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •