• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More Library issues

Vegassteve

This is from a thread on the other forum. The letter is almost identical to the one I got a while back. They need to understand the NRS is CC only and the preemption.

September 25, 2012

Russell Duren
[address]
[address]

Dear Mr. Duren:
Your letter dated September 12, 2012 was referred to me as I oversee public services for the Library District. Unfortunately, I cannot accommodate your request to carry your concealed handgun into any of our library branches. It is the Library District's practice that the Library Rules of Conduct, which states that firearms are prohibited as outlined in NRS 202.3673, be administered fairly and equally to all patrons visiting our facilities.

In regards to the open carry of your weapon, the Library District also prohibits this under NRS 370.040. The statute grants the Library District the authority to implement those regulations it deems reasonable and weighing the District's concerns of public safety versus an individual's right to bring a firearm into the library, the District implemented this reasonable restriction.

Thank you for your patronage of the Rainbow Library. I hope you understand the basis for the policy and continue to visit the library, even if you will be restricted from carrying a weapon when doing so

Sincerely yours,
[signature]
Robb. L. Morss
Deputy Director, COO
Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
7060 W. Windmill Lane
Las Vegas, NV 89113

Cc: S. Rice, General Services Director

ed2276

This is from a thread on the other forum. The letter is almost identical to the one I got a while back. They need to understand the NRS is CC only and the preemption.

September 25, 2012

Russell Duren
[address]
[address]

Dear Mr. Duren:
Your letter dated September 12, 2012 was referred to me as I oversee public services for the Library District. Unfortunately, I cannot accommodate your request to carry your concealed handgun into any of our library branches. It is the Library District's practice that the Library Rules of Conduct, which states that firearms are prohibited as outlined in NRS 202.3673, be administered fairly and equally to all patrons visiting our facilities.

In regards to the open carry of your weapon, the Library District also prohibits this under NRS 370.040. The statute grants the Library District the authority to implement those regulations it deems reasonable and weighing the District's concerns of public safety versus an individual's right to bring a firearm into the library, the District implemented this reasonable restriction.

Thank you for your patronage of the Rainbow Library. I hope you understand the basis for the policy and continue to visit the library, even if you will be restricted from carrying a weapon when doing so

Sincerely yours,
[signature]
Robb. L. Morss
Deputy Director, COO
Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
7060 W. Windmill Lane
Las Vegas, NV 89113

Cc: S. Rice, General Services Director

The letter was correct as to concealed carry under NRS 202.3673. However it appears Mr. Morss' cite to NRS 370.040 as to making regulations banning open carry was in error. NRS 370.040 doesn't exist. He evidently meant to cite NRS 379.040, which reads:

NRS 379.040 Library to be free and accessible to public; regulations of trustees. The library and reading room of any consolidated, county, district or town library must forever be and remain free and accessible to the public, subject to such reasonable regulations as the trustees of the library may adopt.

[4:187:1925; NCL § 5598]—(NRS A 1967, 1061; 1985, 10)

Even if banning OC under this NRS is allowed by law, it only appears that this is an administrative regulation which has no punitive teeth; the most they can do is ask you to leave and if you don't they can trespass you. Whereas, a violation of NRS 202.3673 is a criminal statue, subjecting the violator to criminal charge on that statue alone.

The library's position seems to be that NRS 379.040 gives them complete discretion to make any regulation it "deems" to be reasonable, rather than only to enact regulations that are, in fact, reasonable. If the library is preempted by State law from making any regulation relating to firearms possession and transport then should the library adopt a regulation banning firearms carry in the library that regulation would, in fact, be unreasonable, no matter if the trustees "deemed" it a reasonable regulation.

Had the legislature intended to give the library trustees control over firearms possession it would have done so in the preemption statute itself, or it would have enacted a law specifically barring OC in the libraries, as it did with CC under NRS 202.3673. In my opinion, for what it is worth, the library system cannot claim for itself the authority to make regulations in areas where the State has preemption unless the legislature specifically grants the library system that authority, which it has not done with regard to OC.

Last edited:

ed2276

And a completely different person who wrote the letter back to me made the same error. That old NRS had to do with tobacco I think.

You are right. It was under tobacco taxation. That particular NRS, whatever it was, was repealed in 1992.