• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

East St. Louis -- no more 2A, 4A or 5A ??

carolina guy

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/09...es-planned-to-curb-violence-in-east-st-louis/
Among the new rules:

**Minors are to be off the streets at ten o’clock on both weeknights and weekend nights.

**Minors on the street during school hours will be arrested on sight.

**Police will also perform I.D. checks on street corners and conduct gun searches, and Parks says he won’t hesitate to call in the National Guard if the spike in violence continues.

Asked about Constitutional concerns, and the need for probable cause, Parks says the recent wave of crime is the probable cause and justifies the extreme new measures.

“Vehicles that are moving will be stopped and searched for guns, weapons, drugs, and open alcohol and any other violations that are taking place,” Parks later told KMOX’s Mark Reardon. “People who are walking, people who are bicycling, can be stopped and searched for the same and, when it comes to state IDs, we’re going to be confirming that state IDs are in place for everyone involved.”

Deanimator

If East St. Louis has a functioning police union, the rank and file are going to be told to ignore the orders, since they are so blatantly unconstitutional that any cop who obeys them will automatically pierce his own qualified immunity, leaving him open to suit as an individual.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If East St. Louis has a functioning police union, the rank and file are going to be told to ignore the orders, since they are so blatantly unconstitutional that any cop who obeys them will automatically pierce his own qualified immunity, leaving him open to suit as an individual.

And I was getting all my gear together for a road trip to ESL, figuring I could make a large bundle by getting arrested for everything but a monir out after curfew.

Some of these draconian measures were employed in American cities in the past, and they actually had a positive impact on crime. However, the cost of learning that it is not a good idea to violate constitutional rights was part of what led to such measures being abandoned.

Frustration is a hard thing to live with. For several reasons it is good to see that the powers that be in ESL are frustrated.

What I am not seeing is the mayor and police saying anything about holding the parents responsible for the behavior of their little angels. Start making life miserable for the parents and pretty soon Johnny and Suzy are going to stop acting out.

OTOH, if there was some way to impose a law regarding the failure to secure trousers about the waistline, .... And yet a benefit of thugettes wearing their trou down near their knees is that they cannot run very well. It does make it easier to catch them.

stay safe.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

Is this for real? Surely there isn't a mayor that is so incredibly ignorant that he will light a match under the Constitution and follow through with these egregious violations of human rights. This is certainly insanity. They cannot skirt the entire Constitution because they are unable to control crime in their city. I would suggest investigating corruption in the police department that is in charge of enforcing the law in this part of the city, because if crime is this bad the enforcement has been bought and paid for.

Jack House

Like they did in Aurora?

Vitaeus

I want to see an interview with the City Attorney in East St Louis, the lawyer had to get a degree out of a crackerjack box to have even let the mayor read more tahn two sentences into that proclamation.

carolina guy

Is this for real? Surely there isn't a mayor that is so incredibly ignorant that he will light a match under the Constitution and follow through with these egregious violations of human rights. This is certainly insanity. They cannot skirt the entire Constitution because they are unable to control crime in their city. I would suggest investigating corruption in the police department that is in charge of enforcing the law in this part of the city, because if crime is this bad the enforcement has been bought and paid for.

Don't forget, this is Illinois...not exactly known for Constitutionality and even dealing. :)

Deanimator

Like they did in Aurora?
Like they did in Cleveland when Mayor Frank Jackson ordered the police to enforce a state preempted assault weapons ban. The Cleveland police union told its members to disobey the order and they did, not because they're great guys, but because they like living indoors and feeding their families.

The Aurora thing was almost certainly a spur of the moment bad idea.

The proposed East St. Louis thing is a broad based criminal conspiracy to violate Federal civil rights on a massive basis. Even better, the conspirators have thoughtfully PUBLICLY attached their names and faces to the conspiracy.

"Asps, very dangerous. You go first." usually only works in Indiana Jones movies and with Islamists. I doubt that the East St. Louis PD is motivated enough to pray five times a day for free beer.

hermannr

Remember, this guy looks up to the higher ranking person of his political persuasion, and his co-R$%^& that has been stomping on the constituition almost as well as FDR did. Lead by example is what they taught you in the Army...you think?

twoskinsonemanns

Bad idea? You clearly don't know what happened. They got to arrest a BG. They also got to illegally temporarily arrest a bunch of LAC at gun point with no negative consequences whatsoever.

How could you call that a bad idea?

Jack House

Like they did in Cleveland when Mayor Frank Jackson ordered the police to enforce a state preempted assault weapons ban. The Cleveland police union told its members to disobey the order and they did, not because they're great guys, but because they like living indoors and feeding their families.

The proposed East St. Louis thing is a broad based criminal conspiracy to violate Federal civil rights on a massive basis. Even better, the conspirators have thoughtfully PUBLICLY attached their names and faces to the conspiracy.

"Asps, very dangerous. You go first." usually only works in Indiana Jones movies and with Islamists. I doubt that the East St. Louis PD is motivated enough to pray five times a day for free beer.
Cite?

mohawk001

It was reported in the Cleveland Plain Dealer at the time.

Jackson was subsequently CRUSHED in the State Supreme Court.

Preemption of local gun laws is alive and well in Ohio.

You should be able to find it if you want to.

Perhaps he could, but why should he? After all, you are the one who stated it and therefore should be able and willing to back it up. Or should I be able to say anything at all no matter how strange and then demand that you be the one to find the site to back up my words or go with it must be true because you can't counter it with a site?

Deanimator

Perhaps he could, but why should he? After all, you are the one who stated it and therefore should be able and willing to back it up. Or should I be able to say anything at all no matter how strange and then demand that you be the one to find the site to back up my words or go with it must be true because you can't counter it with a site?
It's hardly Art Bell stuff. It was widely reported in Ohio media.

Don't trust me.

Trust your own eyes.

Vitaeus

It's hardly Art Bell stuff. It was widely reported in Ohio media.

Don't trust me.

Trust your own eyes.

from OCDO rules, the person making a statement gets to provide the citation

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Folks should still do their own due diligence, but if you get called on a statement you get to back it up, not tell folks to find it themselves.

Deanimator

from OCDO rules, the person making a statement gets to provide the citation

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Folks should still do their own due diligence, but if you get called on a statement you get to back it up, not tell folks to find it themselves.
Ok, change of plan.

Anything I don't personally say or endorse is a lie.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3613.html

TrailRunner

Didn't these guys learn the lesson when Nagen et al had to justify their fertilizer to a New Orleans Federal District court? And they ended up on the losing side of that particular argument..

And this ruttin' tripe in in St. Louis is even worse and far more blatant. Hope those folks learn the lesson fast and throw the bums out on the next election cycle, and sue in the meantime.

Edit: Added link to news article about court case.

Also; Doesn't arresting people for assembling break the 1st Amendment? Searching people based on clothing colors as well?

Last edited: