• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Father shoots son

Contrarian

"-- A small Connecticut town was sent reeling in grief and confusion Friday after a popular fifth-grade teacher shot and killed a knife-wielding prowler in a black ski mask, only to discover it was his 15-year-old son."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-09-28-18-20-48

"Police were investigating whether the father's gun was registered."

Not sure where to go with this - cannot imagine shooting a family member. I did wonder about the 'gun was registered' statement...didn't think registration applied in Connecticut.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is the town really REELING ? Its just the way it goes ..... someone comes at you with a knife and you shoot.

So a dad killed his kid .... I have heard many more stories of kids killing their dads.

Kids: 2032
Dads: 145

Its a sad ending but don't be running around with a knife and ski mask and running towards people without expecting someone to do something.

Freiheit417

"Police were investigating whether the father's gun was registered."

Not sure where to go with this - cannot imagine shooting a family member. I did wonder about the 'gun was registered' statement...didn't think registration applied in Connecticut.

CT does not have mandatory registration. However, because handgun transactions must now be reported to DESPP (essentially the State Police), there is a sort of de facto registration since they record the transactions. Handguns legally acquired before a certain date (which I forget) do not need to be registered. They do "encourage" owners to voluntarily register them if you move into the state or if they were obtained long ago.

The relevant investigation pertaining to the handgun is only 1) whether or not he had a permit to carry since it's required if carrying a handgun outside of one's home or place of business and 2) whether the firearm was stolen or not.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...whether the firearm was stolen or not.

Let's say a high-quality knife was used. Would a serial-number check of the knife be done to determine if it had ever been reported as stolen? What if you hit an intruder over the head with your TV? Should the police make sure it wasn't a stolen TV? How about the police FOCUS on their already known jobs instead of trying to assert their invasions of privacy to determine if there are more?

This story is already a tragedy for this family, and there are certainly some known legal issues to deal with, but "determining that the object used wasn't stolen" isn't one of them. It's just another desensitization of police power.

davidmcbeth

Banned
CT does not have mandatory registration. However, because handgun transactions must now be reported to DESPP (essentially the State Police), there is a sort of de facto registration since they record the transactions. Handguns legally acquired before a certain date (which I forget) do not need to be registered. They do "encourage" owners to voluntarily register them if you move into the state or if they were obtained long ago.

The relevant investigation pertaining to the handgun is only 1) whether or not he had a permit to carry since it's required if carrying a handgun outside of one's home or place of business and 2) whether the firearm was stolen or not.

I actually went to register a gun at DESPP and a Lt. came out and actually told me I did not have to...and actually refused to register the gun...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
"-- A small Connecticut town was sent reeling in grief and confusion Friday after a popular fifth-grade teacher shot and killed a knife-wielding prowler in a black ski mask...
This is the first report I've seen that the object in the son's hands was a knife. Every other story has said "a shiny object" - and of course we know the media is NEVER wrong...

Freiheit417

I actually went to register a gun at DESPP and a Lt. came out and actually told me I did not have to...and actually refused to register the gun...

Interesting.... I thought I recalled seeing somewhere on DESPP's website that they encourage people to voluntarily register their handguns in case they're ever stolen. I can't find the link at the moment for it though.

I'm glad they told you correctly and even more glad they refused to do so.

Freiheit417

Let's say a high-quality knife was used. Would a serial-number check of the knife be done to determine if it had ever been reported as stolen? What if you hit an intruder over the head with your TV? Should the police make sure it wasn't a stolen TV? How about the police FOCUS on their already known jobs instead of trying to assert their invasions of privacy to determine if there are more?

This story is already a tragedy for this family, and there are certainly some known legal issues to deal with, but "determining that the object used wasn't stolen" isn't one of them. It's just another desensitization of police power.

Good point - agreed. I was mainly saying that investigating the "registration" of the firearm would definitely not be proper since there is no requirement for such. I suppose they should only investigate if it was stolen if they had reasonable suspicion to believe it was not legally acquired.