• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

heading up from KY

j.bones

I'll be heading up to northern Cincy tomorrow and spending the night.. Was wondering what i should expect as far as being from out of state and carrying in nothern cincy (kings island area)
Thanks

Werz

I'll be heading up to northern Cincy tomorrow and spending the night.. Was wondering what i should expect as far as being from out of state and carrying in nothern cincy (kings island area)
Thanks
If a peace officer stops you for a law enforcement purpose, you must notify the officer that you have a concealed handgun license and that you are carrying a concealed handgun. I don't believe that's required in Kentucky.

Brian D.

By the way do you have a concealed carry license, j. bones? If not you will have to transport the gun with no rounds in any of the magazines. Also without the carry license you'd have to transport any and all firearms unloaded, meaning no rounds in amy magazines/speedloaders. That would also apply to transport of long guns here, regardless of whether you are a carry licensee or not.

I believe that Kings Island prohibits firearms in the park entirely, with the exception of law enforcement officers. Establishments which serve alcohol for on-premises consumption are okay for licensed carriers, as long as they drink no alcohol and the place in question doesn't prohibit carry on its own.As to the rest of the area mentioned you shouldn't have great difficulty with open carry, just operate a voice recorder as always.

j.bones

no i don't have my CCDW.. and i won't be on King's Island property other than a few hours in great wolf lodge parking lot for a truck show... So i may not carry pistol holstered in vehical or open in vehical without unloading it and the magazines? LOL so what i'm gathering is the greater Cincy area i not super open carry friendly... thank you for the info

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
no i don't have my CCDW.. and i won't be on King's Island property other than a few hours in great wolf lodge parking lot for a truck show... So i may not carry pistol holstered in vehical or open in vehical without unloading it and the magazines? LOL so what i'm gathering is the greater Cincy area i not super open carry friendly... thank you for the info
OC for Cincinnati proper will be fine, IMHO, especially given the Cincinnati law department's note on OC.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/linkservid/18BFD387-B6DA-077C-9CA3C47BC23AB4F0/showMeta/0/

As for the pistol, the best thing to do is have it in the trunk, with no speedloaders or magazines loaded. I don't have the ORC handly that spells out your options, I'll have to find it...

If a peace officer stops you for a law enforcement purpose, you must notify the officer PROMPTLY that you have a concealed handgun license and that you are carrying a concealed handgun...
(emphasis and the word "promptly" are my doing)

If you are merely transporting guns per Ohio law, there is no notification requirement.

Last edited:

Werz

I made a bad assumption that you had a Kentucky concealed carry license/permit; without that you cannot carry a loaded firearm in the vehicle, nor can you carry a loaded magazine which fits a firearm in the vehicle, regardless of whether the firearm is visible or not. Outside the vehicle, open carry is OK in any place that is not posted with a "no guns" sign (government buildings are required to be posted), except you cannot carry in any place that serves liquor by the glass, regardless of whether the firearm is visible or not. The "no guns" signs in Ohio do not need to fit a specific description, at least not the ones on private property, and they're not always very "conspicuous" as required by law, so if you go into a place where the owner or management doesn't like open carry, and if they tell you, essentially, to "cover it up or leave," your only option is to leave.

Like it or not, in Ohio, open carry is a lot simpler with a concealed handgun license. If you get a Kentucky license/permit, Ohio does have a reciprocity agreement.

Brian D.

I made a bad assumption that you had a Kentucky concealed carry license/permit;

Werz I've made that same erroneous assumption here in OCDO a time or two in the past. Easy mistake to make, in my case because so much time is spent at the OFCC forum board. I tend to kinda forget that in states like Kentucky, not having a carry license doesn't restrict one nearly as much legally as in "NOhio".