• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Holster Rumors

RKH1954

As November 1st get closer the rumor mill at work is starting to ramp up. A rumor I heard today is that for open carry you must have a belt holster that has a strap or device that secures the gun in the holster. I just finished skimming through the enrolled law and the only thing I could find said that the open carry gun shall be carried in a belt or shoulder holster, there is no mention of straps or devices securing the gun in the holster. Now keep in mind that I just skimmed over the law and could have very well missed the part about securing the gun but I dont think I did. Any one who has taken more time to read the law and can shed some light on this matter please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, Rick

ethorman

No your right shoulder or belt holster by law however most OCers recognize some form of retention would be advised as a just in case. The .1 seconds it takes me to hit a button or thumb break is well worth the insurance of someone running by grabbing a weapon or heaven forbid while in a public restroom on the toilet it falling out of your holster. :banghead:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
There was an amendment that was proposed in the House at one point that would have required retention, but it was argued that the Legislature did not want to have police going around checking holsters for compliance. The amendment was defeated.

The enrolled version of SB1733 is silent on retention, but does require a belt or shoulder holster. No Mexican carry or hand carry. No dangling from a sling.

Thanks for your question!

RKH1954

Thanks to all for your input. I agree that some sort of retention device makes sence, and although I dont intend to open carry very often i have ordered a holster with a strap that secures the gun in the holster.

Thanks again, Rick

Gary S

I bought a black hawk for my smith and Wesson and i love it. It locks your gun in. I also had my wife try and pull it out of the holster and she could not it locks in good but very easy for me to draw from.

okiephlyer

Uh-Oh, someone just endorsed a serpa holster

get ScottE on the thread STAT!

He needs to tell you just how dangerous those are and recommend a different one for you....

OK, you have my attention. Is there really a problem with them, or is it just one persons opinion. I went to a training class and the lead instructor had a low opinion of the Serpa, but the things he was saying were wrong with it could have been wrong with any retention holster with moving parts.

hrdware

OK, you have my attention. Is there really a problem with them, or is it just one persons opinion. I went to a training class and the lead instructor had a low opinion of the Serpa, but the things he was saying were wrong with it could have been wrong with any retention holster with moving parts.

People who can not operate the release mechanism correctly have a tendency to shoot themselves in the leg.

Used to hear stories about them not releasing correctly due to dirt or grit, but I think with the generation 2 design, that problem has been reduced if not eliminated.

okiephlyer

People who can not operate the release mechanism correctly have a tendency to shoot themselves in the leg.

Sounds like "operator error". Someone on one of the forums I peruse has a tag line something like "Nothing is impossible for a sufficiently talented fool".
I have not heard of anyone shooting themselves in the leg, although I can see how it could happen.
Proper Practice Prevents P1$$ Poor Performance

EMNofSeattle

We've been having a user running around trashing SERPa holsters everytime they're mentioned. Personally I don't mind them, should've used purple text.

WalkingWolf

People who shoot their own leg do not have a holster problem. They have a finger in the trigger guard problem. Except for very rare circumstances, guns go boom because someone pulls the trigger. I don't own a Serpa, but to imply that the holster discharges the firearm is just not right.

Michigander

The Serpa ND thing has happened enough times now to fairly smart people who couldn't accept what they were told about their holsters, that most everyone has been warned of the hazards of them. It's not like it used to be where only a few people really comprehended how dangerous they can be.

Now that many big name shooting schools have outlawed their use, and discussions such as this one are common, it's nice that newer carriers at least have fair warning before they risk shooting a hole in their leg.

WalkingWolf

From what I understand the US Marines just adopted the Serpa holster. I also find it amazing that a inanimate object can shoot a hole in someone's leg all by itself.

Last edited:

Gary S

I've had mine for several months using it every day and it has not attacked me yet. I think it is a really good holster and not bad price either.

bmpnridr

What about a drop down leg holster? I am not "tacticool", it's just that I don't want to tuck my shirt in and it's just much more practical for me. I've looked everywhere and not 1 post about it. I have checked on here and posts about other states using a leg holster is fine.

robert1970

I bought a black hawk for my smith and Wesson and i love it. It locks your gun in. I also had my wife try and pull it out of the holster and she could not it locks in good but very easy for me to draw from.

I think they are awsome holsters.I just bought one today,alomg with my new springfeild 1911.

rpyne

People who shoot their own leg do not have a holster problem. They have a finger in the trigger guard problem. Except for very rare circumstances, guns go boom because someone pulls the trigger. I don't own a Serpa, but to imply that the holster discharges the firearm is just not right.

Absolutely true! I have been OCing with a Serpa for nearly two years and love it. The retention is positive and strong. I have had people (friends) try to remove my gun from the holster and it was retained so well they could actually lift me off the ground by the gun without it leaving the holster and I am not a small person.

As for shooting themselves in the leg, that is 100% a finger user problem rather than a holster problem. All you have to do is keep the finger straight and press the release with the finger flat and you end up out of the holster with the finger in perfect position. If you try and use your fingertip, i.e. curl the finger, then yes, you will come out of the holster with your finger on the trigger. Remember those four pesky rules?

My only wish for the Serpa is that it would be available for a wider variety of guns.

WalkingWolf

Absolutely true! I have been OCing with a Serpa for nearly two years and love it. The retention is positive and strong. I have had people (friends) try to remove my gun from the holster and it was retained so well they could actually lift me off the ground by the gun without it leaving the holster and I am not a small person.

As for shooting themselves in the leg, that is 100% a finger user problem rather than a holster problem. All you have to do is keep the finger straight and press the release with the finger flat and you end up out of the holster with the finger in perfect position. If you try and use your fingertip, i.e. curl the finger, then yes, you will come out of the holster with your finger on the trigger. Remember those four pesky rules?

My only wish for the Serpa is that it would be available for a wider variety of guns.

I'm a leather person, but I may get a Serpa just so some people will have a hissy fit. I guess I could paint it to match my leather.