• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to carry yourself when...

Polite Posture

I was recently asked to not come into a Pizza Hut with my firearm. I had been there the whole time waiting for my pizza (even the manager came to the front saw me and said nothing and then walked back to her office) It wasn't until I came back and asked for paper plates that the cashier told me that next time to not come back because I might make the other customers feel uneasy.

One of the employees saw me and motioned for me to cover my weapon with my shirt. When I came back and encountered their concerns, I told them that asking me to conceal my firearm was basically asking me to break the law since I'm still waiting on my CCW. I was then told that it makes the customers fearful and was told to not come into the store next time with my firearm.

The manager told me that she doesn't want it in her store. I then asked for the number to corporate and was given the district managers # and the franchise owners #. It was the first time I was asked to do so and would like to know what I should do other than how I handled myself in this situation. I want to respect their rights as well as mine, and would like to know if there was anything else I could have done better. (Avoid having to explain myself, my rights and just walk away etc)

I spoke with the District Manager and after conversing with him, he gave me a call back and told me that I will still be allowed into the store and that he didn't know why she handled the situation in that manner (Store manager told me she didn't say anything to me when she saw me because there was a customer in the store and she didn't want to provoke me) This statement made me feel angry inside because I felt like she had just labeled me as a bad person... I would mainly like advice on how to deal with the initial contact because the employees had no problem, it seemed like it was just their manager who did.

I also live in a "safe" neighborhood so I also want your take on encounters with "sheeple" I've seen folks who just freeze and get nervous at just the sight of a non law enforcement officer with a firearm.

Concerned Law Abiding Citizen

P.S. I'd like to become a Law Enforcement Officer/Detective and understanding the mindsets of others would help a lot in my opinion.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Should have said "I cannot make them feel anything, only they can produce their emotions-you should ban them"

Booted out of future Pizza Hut visits? Your liver will be happy.

Polite Posture

I know my body would prefer a different carb source to load up on before hitting the gym :lol:

The District Manager did call me back and told me that I would be allowed in the store with my firearm. The thing is is that it makes me a little iffy about returning since I have nothing in writing just the District Managers word. I did tell him Papa John's was across the street. :idea:

Fuller Malarkey

I had a similar experience in a local convenience mart. I'd been in there every few days for 6 months, had bought every drop of gas I'd used in that six months there...open carried each and every time I'd entered. One evening, the night shift manager, a young lady, shrieks out that "you can't come in here with that gun" as I walked in the door. There were several other customers present...and frozen, waiting for my response.

I stated I needed to pay for my gas [$10.00 regular filled my motorcycle]. I put a ten dollar bill on the floor in front of me and left. I've never been back. I believe my wallet speaks louder to management than any defense I could have put up in front of all those customers. This is a small town of less than 1500. I resented the rude and embarrassing confrontation. I feel no obligation to accept insults from those I pay for a service.

I guess that by the same token, they are under no obligation to respect every form of behavior that could enter their doors. If a pig farmer comes in and is "ripe", they might object to his presence near the coffee bar, as it might affect their retail sales, which is the primary reason they opened their doors, right? Same might hold true for unknown people wandering around armed. Their store, their rules. My wallet.

I'm not into forcing acceptance. Provocative and firearms aren't words I like to see used in the same sentence.

hermannr

My response is: If you don't want my OC, you don't want my money...it has happened on rare occations, but that is how I handle it. If you have already paid, request a refund, if you haven't paid, leave whatever your purchase is there, and just leave. Then don't go back.

PistolPackingMomma

I suggest personally asking the gentleman you spoke with to educate the employees of this particular location about their policy and your legal right to be armed. I wouldn't go back until I had documentation that some training/warning/correction had transpired, and indicate politely that an apology from the manager for the insult would be appreciated.

mustangkiller

I suggest personally asking the gentleman you spoke with to educate the employees of this particular location about their policy and your legal right to be armed. I wouldn't go back until I had documentation that some training/warning/correction had transpired, and indicate politely that an apology from the manager for the insult would be appreciated.

This^^^

OC for ME

She did you a favor.....Pizza Butt.

Michelle "My Belle" Obama is gunna have комисса́р Sebelius send her Goons to your place.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I was recently asked to not come into a Pizza Hut with my firearm. I had been there the whole time waiting for my pizza (even the manager came to the front saw me and said nothing and then walked back to her office) It wasn't until I came back and asked for paper plates that the cashier told me that next time to not come back because I might make the other customers feel uneasy.

One of the employees saw me and motioned for me to cover my weapon with my shirt. When I came back and encountered their concerns, I told them that asking me to conceal my firearm was basically asking me to break the law since I'm still waiting on my CCW. I was then told that it makes the customers fearful and was told to not come into the store next time with my firearm.

The manager told me that she doesn't want it in her store. I then asked for the number to corporate and was given the district managers # and the franchise owners #. It was the first time I was asked to do so and would like to know what I should do other than how I handled myself in this situation. I want to respect their rights as well as mine, and would like to know if there was anything else I could have done better. (Avoid having to explain myself, my rights and just walk away etc)

I spoke with the District Manager and after conversing with him, he gave me a call back and told me that I will still be allowed into the store and that he didn't know why she handled the situation in that manner (Store manager told me she didn't say anything to me when she saw me because there was a customer in the store and she didn't want to provoke me) This statement made me feel angry inside because I felt like she had just labeled me as a bad person... I would mainly like advice on how to deal with the initial contact because the employees had no problem, it seemed like it was just their manager who did.

I also live in a "safe" neighborhood so I also want your take on encounters with "sheeple" I've seen folks who just freeze and get nervous at just the sight of a non law enforcement officer with a firearm.

Concerned Law Abiding Citizen

P.S. I'd like to become a Law Enforcement Officer/Detective and understanding the mindsets of others would help a lot in my opinion.

Just a helpful word, but if you truly want to become a detective you need to begin perfecting your writing skills. In the field you wish to enter it is very important that reports are written correctly and professionally, and with proper grammar usage. If you don't want to become a prosecutor's worst nightmare, or become personally involved in a lawsuit, this is one skill that you desperately need to perfect.

Please don't think I am being rude; I am only trying to help. This is one subject that was addressed with extreme importance in certain Criminal Justice classes I have taken, and something that everyone that wants to become a detective should know.

osmanobma

I encountered the same problem at a CiCi's Pizza in Colorado Springs. I'm in the process of writing a letter to corporate. It's a bit lengthy, as I wanted to warm them up with backstory. I'm not the best writer, but here's what I have so far:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I’ve been eating at CiCi’s pizza for some time now. I grew up near the Des Moines, Iowa area and would often take my little brother out for some family bonding. (Usually store # 694) The food was always amazing, the dining room clean, and the atmosphere friendly. No complaints; especially when I could find those buy one get one free coupons. I recently moved to Colorado Springs as a student. One evening alone, I came across another great buffet discount (via the Key Ring iPhone app) and drove across town for a late dinner.

Now, not to deviate too much, but allow me to give you some relevant backstory. I come from a very conservative, republican, religious, pro-life, pro-gun family. I was raised to place the wellbeing of others before myself and taught to value and defend life. My home -along with the reported 47% of all American homes- is a home that owns firearms. More so, I am almost always carrying a sidearm as both state and federal laws permit.

All this being said, I was open carrying a properly holstered 9mm GLOCK on my side, when I entered your establishment (Store # 813) that evening.

**Note that I’ve been open carrying for a considerable amount of time, in: Walmart, restaurants, state and county parks, churches, cars, Starbucks, thrift stores, at family events, around law enforcement officers, while in my place of work (a diner) after my shift is over… all without even the slightest problem.**

Though, that evening while paying for the buffet and drink I was approached by a red-shirted employee (presumably a manager) whom decided it was in her best interest to give me a piece of her mind.¬ She made comments about CiCi’s Pizza being a ‘Family Restaurant,’ implying that I was ‘anti-family’ by bringing a sidearm there. She mentioned that there were children in the building –note that it was late in the evening and only two tables were actually occupied- as if I had something against children. It was her perspective that the branch owner was anti-gun and wouldn’t allow me in the building while I was open carrying. Ultimately, I was asked to return my sidearm to the car before dinning.

I, in all the graciousness I could muster, politely informed her I would be taking my business elsewhere. She, in a quick decision, changed her mind declaring it would be alright for me to keep my sidearm, if I REALLY needed to; though, “just this once.” I probably made the wrong decision deciding to stay. Though, I had just driven across town, had a great discount, it was late, and I was hungry. I ate in silence that evening, more offended then I’d been in a long time.

Is it customary for your employees to be so bigoted when it comes to political and personal views they don’t support? I cringed to think what would happen had a homosexual couple walked in behind me. Would she harass them too? She never once questioned the legal side of open carry, implying she knew the law supported it. Instead she attacked me personally, questioned my judgment, and ultimately berated my lifestyle choices.

That was about six months ago. More recently, a family member from back in Iowa informed me you were having a Customer Appreciation day. After debating through it in my mind, I came to the conclusion that delicious pizza at an affordable price was worth the risk of bumping into that employee again. So, I put on a pleasant smile, grabbed a friend, and headed off to the local CiCi’s pizza; here in Colorado Springs.

I was halfway through the buffet line when who should approach, but the same employee that had given me so much grief six months prior. The first words out of her mouth were that of recognition, while eyeing my sidearm. “Is the safety on?” she asked, once again prying into my personal life. “Yes,” I lied, knowing full well that a GLOCK’s primary safety is the appendage located between the thumb and middle finger of my right hand. I was polite, made eye contact, and tried not to let my obvious frustration show.

All the same, I decided the conversation was over, ordered an Alfredo based pizza (which tasted amazing, by the way!) and found my seat; hoping she wouldn’t make a scene in the busy restaurant. My friend and I talked weather, politics, and work ethics. (Both of us coming from the food service industry, we have experience interacting with our diner’s ‘guests’ daily.) Honestly, we were socked by your manager’s intrusiveness. We went through the line a couple more times –avoiding her- and departed, having otherwise enjoyed the meal.

I’m left wondering if CiCi’s Pizza is a restaurant to which I should be giving my business. Are there discriminatory policies in place concerning who may dine with you? If not, then why aren’t your employees -specifically management- properly educated in customer interaction? If you plan on showing bias against customers of a specific political party, religion, or sexual orientation, the least you can do is post a sign on the door.

Respectfully,

Andrew
"

i like it except for one thing. Dont equate homosexuality with carrying guns. its just not right. one is detrimental to ones life, the other protects ones life.

OC for ME

Just a helpful word, but if you truly want to become a detective you need to begin perfecting your writing skills. In the field you wish to enter it is very important that reports are written correctly and professionally, and with proper grammar usage. <snip> /QUOTE]Really? Ya know, he does want to become a cop.....a cop.

Polite Posture

Just a helpful word, but if you truly want to become a detective you need to begin perfecting your writing skills. In the field you wish to enter it is very important that reports are written correctly and professionally, and with proper grammar usage. If you don't want to become a prosecutor's worst nightmare, or become personally involved in a lawsuit, this is one skill that you desperately need to perfect.

Please don't think I am being rude; I am only trying to help. This is one subject that was addressed with extreme importance in certain Criminal Justice classes I have taken, and something that everyone that wants to become a detective should know.

No offense taken. I am looking into pursuing a Criminal Justice Degree as well or something similar but involving electronics.

Maybe I should have written the post when I was a little more calm and collected than I was at the time. You're absolutely right though. I do have to improve my writing skills because it's been a long time since I've had to write a report/essay of any sort.

Thanks for your input! :)

Polite Posture

Just a helpful word, but if you truly want to become a detective you need to begin perfecting your writing skills. In the field you wish to enter it is very important that reports are written correctly and professionally, and with proper grammar usage. <snip> /QUOTE]Really? Ya know, he does want to become a cop.....a cop.

:lol:

Polite Posture

I encountered the same problem at a CiCi's Pizza in Colorado Springs. I'm in the process of writing a letter to corporate. It's a bit lengthy, as I wanted to warm them up with backstory. I'm not the best writer, but here's what I have so far:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I’ve been eating at CiCi’s pizza for some time now. I grew up near the Des Moines, Iowa area and would often take my little brother out for some family bonding. (Usually store # 694) The food was always amazing, the dining room clean, and the atmosphere friendly. No complaints; especially when I could find those buy one get one free coupons. I recently moved to Colorado Springs as a student. One evening alone, I came across another great buffet discount (via the Key Ring iPhone app) and drove across town for a late dinner.

Now, not to deviate too much, but allow me to give you some relevant backstory. I come from a very conservative, republican, religious, pro-life, pro-gun family. I was raised to place the wellbeing of others before myself and taught to value and defend life. My home -along with the reported 47% of all American homes- is a home that owns firearms. More so, I am almost always carrying a sidearm as both state and federal laws permit.

All this being said, I was open carrying a properly holstered 9mm GLOCK on my side, when I entered your establishment (Store # 813) that evening.

**Note that I’ve been open carrying for a considerable amount of time, in: Walmart, restaurants, state and county parks, churches, cars, Starbucks, thrift stores, at family events, around law enforcement officers, while in my place of work (a diner) after my shift is over… all without even the slightest problem.**

Though, that evening while paying for the buffet and drink I was approached by a red-shirted employee (presumably a manager) whom decided it was in her best interest to give me a piece of her mind.¬ She made comments about CiCi’s Pizza being a ‘Family Restaurant,’ implying that I was ‘anti-family’ by bringing a sidearm there. She mentioned that there were children in the building –note that it was late in the evening and only two tables were actually occupied- as if I had something against children. It was her perspective that the branch owner was anti-gun and wouldn’t allow me in the building while I was open carrying. Ultimately, I was asked to return my sidearm to the car before dinning.

I, in all the graciousness I could muster, politely informed her I would be taking my business elsewhere. She, in a quick decision, changed her mind declaring it would be alright for me to keep my sidearm, if I REALLY needed to; though, “just this once.” I probably made the wrong decision deciding to stay. Though, I had just driven across town, had a great discount, it was late, and I was hungry. I ate in silence that evening, more offended then I’d been in a long time.

Is it customary for your employees to be so bigoted when it comes to political and personal views they don’t support? I cringed to think what would happen had a homosexual couple walked in behind me. Would she harass them too? She never once questioned the legal side of open carry, implying she knew the law supported it. Instead she attacked me personally, questioned my judgment, and ultimately berated my lifestyle choices.

That was about six months ago. More recently, a family member from back in Iowa informed me you were having a Customer Appreciation day. After debating through it in my mind, I came to the conclusion that delicious pizza at an affordable price was worth the risk of bumping into that employee again. So, I put on a pleasant smile, grabbed a friend, and headed off to the local CiCi’s pizza; here in Colorado Springs.

I was halfway through the buffet line when who should approach, but the same employee that had given me so much grief six months prior. The first words out of her mouth were that of recognition, while eyeing my sidearm. “Is the safety on?” she asked, once again prying into my personal life. “Yes,” I lied, knowing full well that a GLOCK’s primary safety is the appendage located between the thumb and middle finger of my right hand. I was polite, made eye contact, and tried not to let my obvious frustration show.

All the same, I decided the conversation was over, ordered an Alfredo based pizza (which tasted amazing, by the way!) and found my seat; hoping she wouldn’t make a scene in the busy restaurant. My friend and I talked weather, politics, and work ethics. (Both of us coming from the food service industry, we have experience interacting with our diner’s ‘guests’ daily.) Honestly, we were socked by your manager’s intrusiveness. We went through the line a couple more times –avoiding her- and departed, having otherwise enjoyed the meal.

I’m left wondering if CiCi’s Pizza is a restaurant to which I should be giving my business. Are there discriminatory policies in place concerning who may dine with you? If not, then why aren’t your employees -specifically management- properly educated in customer interaction? If you plan on showing bias against customers of a specific political party, religion, or sexual orientation, the least you can do is post a sign on the door.

Respectfully,

Andrew
"

What annoyed me the most about this manager is that she waited, til I left, to tell her young (probably 16-20 yr old) cashier to confront me about my sidearm the next time I came in, instead of doing it herself on the spot. I was there for a good 10-20 minutes waiting for the pizza.

Redbaron007

What annoyed me the most about this manager is that she waited, til I left, to tell her young (probably 16-20 yr old) cashier to confront me about my sidearm the next time I came in, instead of doing it herself on the spot. I was there for a good 10-20 minutes waiting for the pizza.

^^^^
They call this leadership skills! ;)

IMHO, I would follow what PPM stated. In addition, I would send the DM an email or snail mail letter recapping the conversation and ask for any corrections. Now the ball is in his court to respond if not accurate. Carry the letter with you the next time to PH; just iin the event the store manager lost her wits.

FallonJeeper

I would go back, when your need for pizza occurs again, armed with the information and name/number of the district manager. If you get approached again, let them know what the district manager told you and offer to call him. Don't make a big deal/scene out of it. Just behave as a regular law abiding citizen, having dinner. They may still ask you to leave, or leave your firearm in your vehicle, but you won't know unless you try. If they call the police and still try to trespass you, just tell them you had permission from from the district manager, but leave if they press the issue.

Last edited:

BriKuz

Substantiate this drivel immediately.

Funny how to OP, growing up in a "very conservative" household, managed not to gay-bash, but osmanobma thinks that's a good thing. The two DO equate quite nicely: The right to do what one wants as long as its NOT getting in someone else's way to do what THEY want...

"I have a right to carry my weapon!" <-- True!
"I'm afraid of that guy's gun. Take it away!" <-- Not True! (No right to "feel" good)

now flip it:

"I have a right to freely associate, even in a homosexual relationship!" <-- True!
"I don't feel comfortable seeing to gays together! Make them Stop!" <-- Wrong! (No right to "feel" good)

rmansu2

I encountered the same problem at a CiCi's Pizza in Colorado Springs.

Respectfully,

Andrew
"

I think that is one of the best letters to a corporate office I've read on this site yet.