Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC on campus/school question

OC on campus/school question

hello all,
    my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you.

OC on campus/school question

Quote Originally Posted by kiddk1 View Post
    hello all,
    my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you.
    Google: MSP Legal Update 86

That may be a good place to start your research. Keep in mind that community colleges and public universities aren't preempted under MCL 123.1101/MCL 123.1102 (google that too).

...thus community colleges as well as public universities may have perfectly enforceable ordinances and/or student policies prohibiting the carrying of firearms.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    hello all,
    What do you mean as a CPL holder you can't??? Can't what?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    He thinks that by paying money for, and taking a class to qualify to use a right, by getting photographed, fingerprinted, checked out, databased and profiled, he lost some rights.

He's partially right.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    He thinks that by paying money for, and taking a class to qualify to use a right, by getting photographed, fingerprinted, checked out, databased and profiled, he lost some rights.

He's partially right.
    very well said, every day we lose more and more rights. Thank you for all the replies, i will do some more research.

I suspect that he meant that he can not concealed carry on school grounds.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Kidd,

If you are going to be a student or a faculty member of the institution, then I think carry won't be an option for you. If you are neither of these two then maybe. It all depends on the school. Do you have a particular campus in mind? Let us know and maybe we could give you some more specific information.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Kidd,

If you are going to be a student or a faculty member of the institution, then I think carry won't be an option for you. If you are neither of these two then maybe. It all depends on the school. Do you have a particular campus in mind? Let us know and maybe we could give you some more specific information.

Good luck!
    I am currently a student at tbe university of michigan dearborn

If you want to remain a student, I'd recommend you not carry on campus. But, the final decision is yours to make.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

very well said, every day we lose more and more rights. Thank you for all the replies, i will do some more research.
    You didn't anwser my question. Do you think you can not OC with a CPL? Because that is NOT TRUE.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

it seems pretty obvious he is saying as a CPL holder he can not carry concealed. Since he prefaced his remarks as such, by separating open carry in his remarks. Seems to be more niggling going on here as usual.

"hello all,
    my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you."

I agree and since he stated he was at a particular institution I am sure they are now aware of this thread, as many anti's watch these threads to make trouble. In the future one might not wish to post certain types of institutions like this in a thread unless it is a general question. I know a number of people who carry in PFZ's due to the more than obvious dangers connected with those properties. Never will I say or recommend skirting any laws, but there are people who value life more than public opinion, but sadly more each year our laws are just a reflection of pop culture opinions, and not of the Supreme law of this nation the Constitution. Why the cowardly N.R.A. has not spent legal monies on eliminating/fighting the "privileged class" exceptions on the CPL's and argue to have the "Constitutionally prohibited" establishment of privileged classes in this CPL mess ended, is beyond reason. It proves the NRA is not about rights, it is about power and money. This is why I stopped supporting them with my hard earned money, they have become a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    If you want to remain a student, I'd recommend you not carry on campus. But, the final decision is yours to make.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    it seems pretty obvious he is saying as a CPL holder he can not carry concealed. Since he prefaced his remarks as such, by separating open carry in his remarks. Seems to be more niggling going on here as usual.

"hello all,
    my question is the right to open carry on campus grounds. I know as a Cpl. holder I cannot, but I did not see anything regarding open carry. Please advise. thank you."
    I daisagree, I think he was confused about the "open carry law" and the "open carry permit".

Banned
    Sigh quit trolling.
    Im not trolling.

it seems pretty obvious he is saying as a CPL holder he can not carry concealed. Since he prefaced his remarks as such, by separating open carry in his remarks. Seems to be more niggling going on here as usual. "
    I agree it seemed obvious to me as well. Maybe some peoples common sense meters work better than others.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I agree it seemed obvious to me as well. Maybe some peoples common sense meters work better than others.
    What may seem obvious to some, is not necessarily obvious to all. I'm certain Venator knew what the OP meant. I believe he was looking for clarification for the benefit of all. After all. the OP did not mention the word "concealed" in his first post. Some people might assume that he meant all forms of carry. It is only because he has a CPL that he can open carry in the concealed (as well as the open carry) PFZs. I believe Venator simply wanted to make that point clear. At least that part was obvious to me.

You would be surprised at the number of people I've met who think you can't OC with CPL. Either they don't think you can OC at all, or they think once you have a CPL, you've lost the right to OC.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 10-02-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added more info.
    Big Gay Al

What may seem obvious to some, is not necessarily obvious to all. I'm certain Venator knew what the OP meant. I believe he was looking for clarification for the benefit of all. After all. the OP did not mention the word "concealed" in his first post. Some people might assume that he meant all forms of carry. It is only because he has a CPL that he can open carry in the concealed (as well as the open carry) PFZs. I believe Venator simply wanted to make that point clear. At least that part was obvious to me.

You would be surprised at the number of people I've met who think you can't OC with CPL. Either they don't think you can OC at all, or they think once you have a CPL, you've lost the right to OC.
    Or also likely people are just very quick to nitpick peoples posts. nah, that never happens here.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Or also likely people are just very quick to nitpick peoples posts. nah, that never happens here.
    I find it interesting you should say that.
    Big Gay Al

Sorry for all the trouble, i guess i will not carry on campus.

You didn't anwser my question. Do you think you can not OC with a CPL? Because that is NOT TRUE.
    Why cant I open carry if i have cpl?

Wowwie!!!

hello all,
    I suspect that he meant that he can not concealed carry on school grounds.

"hello all,
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I daisagree, I think he was confused about the "open carry law" and the "open carry permit".
    Really?
    You are student?
    You dont seem to be able to follow your own thoughts.

Folks can OC on campus without a CPL!
    Folks can CC or OC on campus with a CPL!

Students are usually prohibited from carrying weapons at their collage.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Okay lets break it down. The OP wrote this.

hello all,

He is asking about OC on campus. He states that as a CPL holder he cannot....Cannot what? OC? Then he adds I don't see anything about OC.

All in all a very confusing sentence. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew he can OC with a CPL. That is all. Done. Out.

Here's the thing, technically, you can OC, if you have a CPL but, as a student, you're most like prohibited from doing so. The university can do that. So, if you OC, and are caught, while you'd not likely face criminal charges, you'd probably be expelled for violating university policy.

FYI, there's no trouble in your asking. No need for you to apologize.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 10-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Big Gay Al

hello all,
    The policy is the same for Ann Arbor and Flint as well:

http://www.umd.umich.edu/317101/

Regent Ordinance Article X (Weapons)
    Regent Amended Ordinance Article X (Weapons) applies to the possession of weapons on University properties..
    Section 1. Scope of Article X. Article X applies to all property owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by the Regents of the University of Michigan and applies regardless of whether the individual has a concealed weapons permit or is otherwise authorized by law to possess, discharge or use any device referenced below.
    Section 5. Violation Penalty.
    A person who violates this Article X is guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction, punishable by imprisonment for not less than ten (10) days and no more than sixty (60) days, or by fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00) or both.

Oakland University

I had a meeting with a Deputy on Oakland's Campus last week on this topic. Here is what the officer said:

As a Student:
    Firearms are allowed on campus in the owners vehicle only.

As a Visitor:
    "Open Carry is Open Carry."

On the back of your CPL it states no CC in a university classroom or dorm. Although it doesn't say anything about open carry, here is a section from the Oakland University Website, Chapter 7 Article 2:

"7.02 Weapons and Explosives. No person shall possess a pistol or any other firearm, dangerous weapon, weapon, explosive or incendiary device on the campus provided, however, that the occupants of single family residences in the Meadow Brook subdivision and non-student University residences may possess firearms as permitted by law. A weapon is any object designed to cause physical injury or any other object capable of causing physical injury or death. A dangerous weapon is any weapon designed to be dangerous and capable of causing death or serious bodily harm, or any other object capable of causing death or serious bodily harm that is used as a weapon. Items presumed to be dangerous weapons include, but are not limited to, daggers, dirks, stilettos, blackjacks, billies, metallic knuckles, bludgeons, ninja stars, and pocket knives opened by mechanical device. This section shall not be applicable to the authorized display of fireworks or cannon fire at events approved by the President or a designee."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast